Day 15: Japan vs Poland, Senegal vs Colombia, England vs Belgium, Panama vs Tunisia

manufan

Political Irish
Threads
Screenshot (10).png

Japan v Poland 3pm, RTE News Now, BBC2
Senegal V Columbia 3pm, RTE 2, BBC1

Panama V Tunisia 7pm, RTE News Now, ITV4
England v Belgium 7pm, RTE 2, ITV

OP
OP
manufan

manufan

Political Irish
Threads
What a day Yesterday!

Germany out for the first time in group stages since the 1930`s! Last time they started a war!

An interesting game against Belgium and England, both teams ould do better to finish second in the group. Second would mean Sweden/Switzerland in the QF.

D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
What a day Yesterday!

Germany out for the first time in group stages since the 1930`s! Last time they started a war!

An interesting game against Belgium and England, both teams ould do better to finish second in the group. Second would mean Sweden/Switzerland in the QF.
I reckon Belgium will hockey England. They have a very strong team and England have played two crap teams so far.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
I reckon Belgium will hockey England. They have a very strong team and England have played two crap teams so far.
Its a funny game in that it would be better to lose it and play Sweden or Switzerland in the next round than to win this game which would mean playing Brazil or Mexico in the next round.

OP
OP
manufan

manufan

Political Irish
Threads
Its a funny game in that it would be better to lose it and play Sweden or Switzerland in the next round than to win this game which would mean playing Brazil or Mexico in the next round.
Exactly this, no incentice for either side to win.

Belgium have already said they will use this as a friendly game.

I imagine both sides will give a start to the fringe players in the squads.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Exactly this, no incentice for either side to win.

Belgium have already said they will use this as a friendly game.

I imagine both sides will give a start to the fringe players in the squads.
It has the potential to be the worst World Cup match ever.
Im my book that "honour" currently goes to Germany against Austria in the 1982 World cup where with all the other games in the group complete a 1-0 win for Germany would see both teams going through to the next round and surprisingly enough the game ended in 1-0 to Germany with both teams more or less passing to each other for the 80 minutes remaining after Germanys early goal.

It was after this game that FIFA changed the rules so that the last two games in each group would be played at the same time.

Im not the only person with this memory judging by the title of a Wikipedia page that someone has created about this particular game.
Disgrace of Gijón - Wikipedia

D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
I didn't realise that. Bound to be a very strange match.

Threads
If England vBelgium is a draw,they will draw lots to decide who is top of the group,I think it should be decided on penalties myself.Having said that get ready for the English lions as they tear apart plucky Belgium.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Hang on Im getting confused now. The outcomes above were what I read in the press this morning.
Now looking at it for myself those appear to be the teams that Eng/Bel would be in line to meet in the quarter finals.

Looking at the tables now I see that in the next round the winners play Japan whereas the losers play Columbia. I think its definitely worth winning tonight.

Threads
Erm ahem a bump in the road there and a wheel off the wagon.England looking mediocre against a good team.I can't see England winning the cup now,looks like if Kane isn't playing they can't score.

OP
OP
manufan

manufan

Political Irish
Threads
to be honest I think that's the best result England could have hoped for.

It gave the fringe players a chance to play in a world cup, it qualified them in 2nd place so they have the far easier side of the group, and if they can overcome Columbia, Switzerland/Sweden then they are in the Semi-Finals.

On top of that, they get an extra days rest.

Screenshot (11).png

Top Bottom