David Quinn: We cannot have a debate about immigration as long as those who ask questions are denounced as racist

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
David Quinn: We cannot have a debate about immigration as long as those who ask questions are denounced as racist

David Quinn has an article in the Times today called "Don’t mention sustainable immigration — Almost no one favours completely open borders — but anyone who asks questions about numbers is denounced as racist"

He discusses Peader Toibin's recent desire to have a debate about immigration despite not wanting to limit or cap immigration himself. Toibin was heavily criticised for his bland remark from various factions including Sinn Féin's Pearse Doherty. Personally, I think the political establishment would be all too delighted if Toibín was the voice of opposition in a debate on immigration in Ireland because he doesn't want to stop immigration at all and just likes to accuse the govt of not providing enough resources to accommodate the migrants. The whole point of tsunami immigration is to drive up consumption and competition for resources to increase their value while undermining the labour market to reduce wages. Slum lords love immigration as do wage slavers.

David Quinn makes the point that "in practice, almost everyone supports sustainable immigration" because "the reason that the government doesn’t open the door wider to non-EU immigration is because it already favours some kind of control.". I would argue the political establishment do favour open-borders to outside the EU and facilitate immigration from outside the EU through various rackets like the asylum racket and the English school visa farm racket (both heavily abused)

Quinn says that In 2017, a quarter of immigrants living here were from countries outside the union. I would say the figure is far higher and the CSO census figures are not accurate. In 2006, the CSO said the number of Chinese people living here was 15,000. That same year a study from the Dept of Sociology, Maynooth estimated that the real number of Chinese people here was between 80,000 and 100,000. They looked at visa numbers, resident permits etc to extrapolate this figure.

But Quinn thinks we do need a proper debate on immigration and finishes his article with these facts:

"Do we properly consider the present effect of immigration on the cost of housing, on jobs, school places, hospitals, wages? For example, figures from the Dublin Regional Housing Executive show that in 2017 almost 1,000 additional families sought emergency accommodation. Of these, 12% were from the EU and 21% were from outside the EU. That’s a big number. Is it not putting a strain on the system? Are we allowed to ask whether Irish people at the bottom of society are being further disadvantaged as a result?

"A recent report by Future Analytics Consulting on behalf of the Dublin Housing Observatory estimates that the capital’s population could rise by up to 64,000 by 2022 compared with 2016. Some of this will be immigration-driven. If you add in Fingal, south Dublin and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, the number could increase by 150,000 since 2016.

"The report says that our housing and transport infrastructures are struggling to cope with the present level of population. Who is affected by this? Anyone living in the Dublin area obviously, but especially those struggling to rent property or buy a first home. That means many Irish-born people, especially the young, but also immigrants already living here. How fair is high immigration on them? Again, we’re not allowed to raise the issue.

"Figures from the Central Statistics Office show that, in the 12 months to April last year, 90,000 people moved to Ireland and 56,000 left, meaning net inward migration of 34,000. That is the biggest annual increase since 2008.

"Almost a third of the immigrants were Irish people coming home, another third were from the EU and the remainder were from outside the EU. While 10,000 non-EU migrants left Ireland, almost 31,000 arrived.

"These facts, and more, need to be put before the public. Maybe it can be demonstrated that our current immigration levels are sustainable. Maybe no one is losing out. Maybe everyone is a winner. Yet we cannot know unless we are willing to have a debate and not simply shout down those who ask the right questions, as is our current practice."

You can read the full article here:

Last edited:

BSA

PI Member
Is it just me or are the Sunday papers beginning to, .... slowly... Realise that the vast majority of of the Irish citizens hate what our EU puppet regime are doing to our country with our wages and without our consent.. Aren't journalists supposed to be eagle eyed and observant.. Or something..

The papers here especially the SI are regime rags, as a result they are largely unreadable and the unsold pile grows weekly outside my local shop. This must be coming to somebody's attention...

I canceled our Sunday papers a couple of years ago due to my objection to paying good money for Irish state propaganda. Any journalists worthy of the name have been dismissed or sidelined years ago - I wouldn't read 'prize winning ' wanker Barry Egan' for free.

The odd time I flick through the paper in my local I am genuinely shocked at the content in them. Crude, biased and poor quality from the front page to the end..

Keep boycotting them.. All they understand is cash..

Catalpa

PI Member
Well they are certainly relaxing the rules even further:

Change to give immediate and full access to the Irish Labour Market without the need for an employment permit.

• Holders of Stamp 3 permissions who are spouses/de facto partners of CSEP holders will now be eligible under Stamp 1 conditions to access the labour market without the need for an employment permit.
  • From 1 April, a new pre-clearance arrangement for non-EEA de facto partners of CSEP holders will make the immigration process as straightforward as possihttp://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/press-release-ministers-flanagan-and-humphreys-announce-change-to-immigration-arrangements-for-spouses-and-partners-of-critical-skills-employment-permit-holdersble. 

Catalpa

PI Member

BSA

PI Member
Well they are certainly relaxing the rules even further:

Change to give immediate and full access to the Irish Labour Market without the need for an employment permit.

• Holders of Stamp 3 permissions who are spouses/de facto partners of CSEP holders will now be eligible under Stamp 1 conditions to access the labour market without the need for an employment permit.
  • From 1 April, a new pre-clearance arrangement for non-EEA de facto partners of CSEP holders will make the immigration process as straightforward as possihttp://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/press-release-ministers-flanagan-and-humphreys-announce-change-to-immigration-arrangements-for-spouses-and-partners-of-critical-skills-employment-permit-holdersble. 
Like to see a list of what constitutes 'critical employees'..

Hmmmmh...

Rappers,
Pastors,
Guys who deliver two for one pizza flyers,
Guys who offer you a paper towel in a nightclub jacks,

Oh! And some astronauts..

Catalpa

PI Member
Minister Flanagan announces abolition of re-entry visa system

• Abolition to take effect from 13 May 2019

• Over 40,000 people annually to benefit from change
12 April 2019

The Minister for Justice and Equality, Charlie Flanagan TD, has today announced the abolition of Ireland’s re-entry visa system with effect from 13 May 2019. Under this system, visa required nationals who live in Ireland, and who wish to travel to and from the country, have been obliged to apply for a re-entry visa in advance of travel. From 13 May, such individuals will be exempt from the requirement to hold a visa if they have registered for an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card.
Minister Flanagan said: “I am delighted to announce the abolition of the re-entry visa system.

So on paper we have controls on non EU immigration

But in effect they are being loosened up all the time...

The CSO recently admitted most new jobs are going to foreigners

But apparently we need even more coming in the door.....

Jim

PI Member
This is exactly what the controlled opposition do. Say 'we need a debate' but offer no solution
Controlled opposition will always promise , but never ever deliver. Cannot blame them for that , that exactly why they are set up for in the first place. The secret is to know who really you are voting for.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Work permits announced for agriculture workers from outside the EU due to labour shortage

I think that is perfectly fine.
If there are worker shortages identified in a particular area then introduce fixed term working visas allowing work only in the activity specified for a specified length of time with no right to access social services, Government services, with an obligation for them to self-fund health insurance and so on and above all with no automatic route to permanent residency.
The same kind of deal that Europeans get when they work in Saudi Arabia for instance.

Top Bottom