Daily Telegraph: Most English are not British as British English are a dwindling minority

Dublin 4

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
There's one way for England to achieve Brexit – and that's by achieving independence from the UK

Ever since the EU referendum, Scottish Nationalists have said their country should leave the UK to stay in the EU.

Yet, even with Brexit at risk of being cancelled, it never occurs to the English to play a similar game: leave the UK to leave the EU.

Is English independence from the UK so unthinkable?

Only because nobody thinks about it.

More than 53 per cent of people in England voted Leave, rising to more than 60 per cent in some regions.

Why should the English, by far the largest proportion of people in the UK, be denied the Brexit they so clearly want?

Yes, there are some who feel more British than English, for whom leaving the UK would be deeply hurtful.

But they’re a dwindling minority....

There's one way for England to achieve Brexit – and that's by achieving independence from the UK

Farage claims second Brexit vote would see 'biggest Anglo-Saxon two fingers up in history'

Poll Northern Nationalists are 2nd Class "UK" Citizens but the English are 3rd Class & English people in London + Birmingham etc are actually 4th Class!!

Some contrast in the World Cup 1966 Pic & World Cup 2018 Pic :D

C'mon England, c'mon the Nation State :D

P

Piposter

Non Registered Member

Ever since the EU referendum, Scottish Nationalists have said their country should leave the UK to stay in the EU.

Yet, even with Brexit at risk of being cancelled, it never occurs to the English to play a similar game: leave the UK to leave the EU.

Is English independence from the UK so unthinkable?

Only because nobody thinks about it.

More than 53 per cent of people in England voted Leave, rising to more than 60 per cent in some regions.

Why should the English, by far the largest proportion of people in the UK, be denied the Brexit they so clearly want?

Yes, there are some who feel more British than English, for whom leaving the UK would be deeply hurtful.

But they’re a dwindling minority....

Farage claims second Brexit vote would see 'biggest Anglo-Saxon two fingers up in history'

Poll Northern Nationalists are 2nd Class "UK" Citizens but the English are 3rd Class & English people in London + Birmingham etc are actually 4th Class!!

Some contrast in the World Cup 1966 Pic & World Cup 2018 Pic :D

C'mon England, c'mon the Nation State :D
Interesting - definitely food for thought.

Are Anglo Saxons ( with 4 anglo-saxon grandparents) an endangered species ? You seen who all their women are heading off with ? and who are their men heading off with ? i bet its not with each other

Last edited:

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
The trouble is that so many English people's self imagine is based on having a little empire over the conquered Celts, that leaving the UK just won't even occur to them.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Brexit Exposes Painful Disconnect Between England and Britain

I think the article is entirely correct in highlighting the fact that English people are retreating from their "British" identity towards their "English" identity.
However I dont see any interest in England separating itself from the other three UK countries as the article seems to say exists. Its not something I have ever heard anyone speaking about, neither individuals talking about it let alone organisations campaigning for it. The article refers to the English Defence League - well this organisation never expressed any interest in English separation.

I think it might be significant that the author is a Scot living in Germany who quite possibly might not have his finger on the English pulse. He could be looking at the growing English identity and then using his own deduction to translate that into English isolationism on a 2+2=5 basis.
Or he might even be a Scottish Nationalist engaged in wishful thinking - hoping that the English electorate might give Scotland the Independence that the Scottish electorate refused it.

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
but who would pay to sub in the Northern Irish and the Scottish?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
I think he was generally a fourth rate propagandist however one thing Conor "Cruise" O'Brien said that I thought was very insightful was that a huge threat to Ulster Unionism could easily come from English separatism/nationalism and that Ulster Prods could easily turn out to be completely clueless in dealing with it. Already indigenous English practicing Christians are the group most likely to consider themselves English only and lets face it Ulster Prods are far more likely to identify with them as fellow Brits than they are Manchester Pakistani Muslims or London Sikhs both of whom are much more likely to identify as "British".

The problem is that expressions of English nationalism have largely been taken over by extreme groups. This may be a result of two forces: a general apathy among the public towards the concept of what being English meant; also that possibly the most coherent and identifiable English "tribe" were the football supporters.

I recall some bint in Labour who tweeted mockingly a photo of a soccer fan's house with a huge George Cross hanging outside it. Tone deafness writ large. There was a bit of an outcry, but she has since then been promoted to the shadow cabinet.

One thing which often struck me when I worked there in the run up to St Patrick's day many pubs would deck themselves in green. On the day itself the stuff would wear green.

I never saw any similar effort for George's Day.

Dublin 4

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All problems no solutions.

Are you Joe Duffy?

Top Bottom