• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Cowen seriously ill ?

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Some disgusting comments on Brian Cowan here.
I "sort of" feel guilty for saying "I don't care", but I'd be lying if I stated otherwise. I probably should have said naught? I apologise.

Best wishes to his family.

Instead of scapegoating Cowen and others, we should all take a good look at our own behaviour during the years of the Celtic Tiger (although I do still hold onto the belief that politicians like Cowen facilitated our greed for their own gain).

darkhorse3

PI Member
I "sort of" feel guilty for saying "I don't care", but I'd be lying if I stated otherwise. I probably should have said naught? I apologise.

Instead of scapegoating Cowen and others, we should all take a good look at our own behaviour during the years of the Celtic Tiger (although I do still hold onto the belief that politicians like Cowen facilitated our greed for their own gain).
Cowen never made much money out of it personally
He was only trying to do his best to serve the country
Anyway, sadly we wont be hearing from him again
Bullied by too many greedy bastards who lost too much money by their own stupidity

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Cowen never made much money out of it personally
He was only trying to do his best to serve the country
Anyway, sadly we wont be hearing from him again
Bullied by too many greedy bastards who lost too much money by their own stupidity
He may (or may not) have made moolah from it, but every politician's goal is to obtain and keep power.

He was finance minister for a few years during the credit junky, oh sorry, I mean Celtic Tiger days and therefore must share some of the responsibility for not carefully ensuring that banking practices were being throughly monitored and regulated.

FF's reluctance to impose checks on a ballooning credit supply was down to lobbying from individuals who desired financial gains and of course the ordinary schmoe who enjoyed keeping up with the Jones's, the expensive meals, the new 5 series beamer etc. In other words Cowen et al sacrificed implementing robust fiscal policies (despite numerous warnings) on Mammon's grubby altar. In return they got to stay in government for 2 terms - or was it 3?

I wonder did Bertie know that the tsunami of debt was coming? Didn't he step down as Taoiseach shortly before it made landfall?

Reactions: BSA

valamhic

PI Member
PI Member
PI Member
I did ev

I did everything possible to alert government to stop giving tax relief on house building. Others did too, but government laughed.

Right now I have put a tremendous effort in warning government to the fact that the same is happening again with wind farms. I have compiled a dossier of 35 pages with proof of insolvency. In the next 10 years Irish wind farm will loose 2.6 Billion Euros and unless they go broke we willhave to bail them out. Indeed anyone investing in a pension will loose at least 70% of their money.

valamhic

PI Member
PI Member
PI Member
Because builders operated as a limited company and so had the protection of limited liability
Private individuals did not
You are trying to be a smart guy. 64 billion Euros of our money was paid to bail them out. 64 billion. What planet is this one on?

darkhorse3

PI Member
He may (or may not) have made moolah from it, but every politician's goal is to obtain and keep power.

He was finance minister for a few years during the credit junky, oh sorry, I mean Celtic Tiger days and therefore must share some of the responsibility for not carefully ensuring that banking practices were being throughly monitored and regulated.

FF's reluctance to impose checks on a ballooning credit supply was down to lobbying from individuals who desired financial gains and of course the ordinary schmoe who enjoyed keeping up with the Jones's, the expensive meals, the new 5 series beamer etc. In other words Cowen et al sacrificed implementing robust fiscal policies (despite numerous warnings) on Mammon's grubby altar. In return they got to stay in government for 2 terms - or was it 3?

I wonder did Bertie know that the tsunami of debt was coming? Didn't he step down as Taoiseach shortly before it made landfall?
There was no stopping the tsunami of greed that was going on in those days
Both Bertie and Brian taxed property speculation to the hilt
But the greedy bastards kept buying and pushing up the prices higher and higher
There was no stopping them
Mostly investors in fairness

Reactions: BSA

valamhic

PI Member
PI Member
PI Member
That what limited liability means
Everywhere
Limited liability means if your company goes broke it is liquidated. NAMA prevented that. No one could move in and get their property cheap. The government protected them. Show me otherwise in the Companies Act

valamhic

PI Member
PI Member
PI Member
T
hat is a total fockin lie. This wastes time for me correcting a jack ass. In the years before the collapse in 2008 government
added fuel to the fire by giving tax exemption for construction in designated areas. I know because I tried to oppose it. The proper thing to do was put the brakes on by increasing taxes on building. The normal action of increasing interest rates was not available because of the EU. Then the EU
ordered us to bail them out

darkhorse3

PI Member
Limited liability means if your company goes broke it is liquidated. NAMA prevented that. No one could move in and get their property cheap. The government protected them. Show me otherwise in the Companies Act
Who were they preventing from buying cheap property?
You are contradicting yourself

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
They couldn't regulate lending practices? Why not?

valamhic

PI Member
PI Member
PI Member
This Dark horse is a total fockin arshe hole. Builders were protected by government when they should have been let go to hell. Bankers were bailed out by government at the directions of the EU when they should have been told to go to hell.

This is why hard working people are poor, their money is stolen by government

Top Bottom