Could things be patched up now between For Britain and UKIP?

Macushla

PI Member
For Britain will de facto merge into UKIP. Already they've had a great swathe of their members defect back, including their Deputy Leader. AMW did poorly in the elections she and her party contested and for a lot of people that was her only chance. It's possible relations will be too sour to ever have a reconciliation. If AMW knew what was good for her she's join back to UKIP; but she would have to eat her words.

SwordOfStCatherine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For Britain will de facto merge into UKIP. Already they've had a great swathe of their members defect back, including their Deputy Leader. AMW did poorly in the elections she and her party contested and for a lot of people that was her only chance. It's possible relations will be too sour to ever have a reconciliation. If AMW knew what was good for her she's join back to UKIP; but she would have to eat her words.
Not really with Farage out of the picture but we will have to wait and see.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
With Farage now out of the way what are the chances of things being patched up between the two Parties?
Very interesting proposal, this is the first time I have seen it proposed but it probably won't be the last.

The obvious issue is the leadership issue, Batten has worked a his **** off to get UKIP back on the road so wont particularly want to surrender leadership at this instant but on the other hand he has on a number of occasions mentioned the fact that he wouldn't mind retiring and taking a back seat in politics when he turns 65 next year so that could clear up that conflict.

SwordOfStCatherine

Very interesting proposal, this is the first time I have seen it proposed but it probably won't be the last.

The obvious issue is the leadership issue, Batten has worked a his **** off to get UKIP back on the road so wont particularly want to surrender leadership at this instant but on the other hand he has on a number of occasions mentioned the fact that he wouldn't mind retiring and taking a back seat in politics when he turns 65 next year so that could clear up that conflict.
I am not saying a re-union with her as leader but a re-union with her in some other post. It could happen- however it is not something I would bet on.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
I am not saying a re-union with her as leader but a re-union with her in some other post. It could happen- however it is not something I would beat on.
I kind of suspect that this is more likely. She comes across as intelligent and trustworthy and is a great competent sounding debater on many issues but she probably doesn't have the charisma to lead UKIP into making some major political breakthrough a la Orban, Salvini.

SwordOfStCatherine

I kind of suspect that this is more likely. She comes across as intelligent and trustworthy and is a great competent sounding debater on many issues but she probably doesn't have the charisma to lead UKIP into making some major political breakthrough a la Orban, Salvini.
Do you think that Batten would be the type to soothe For Britain's entry back into the Party or not? Whether if he was would she go for it is another question in itself. However I suspect that a lot of both Kippers and For Britain members will be asking these questions. Interesting to see how this evolves.

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
PI Member
Do you think that Batten would be the type to soothe For Britain's entry back into the Party or not?
I suspect not. He was critical of her splitting away and crying off cos she didn't win the leadership election. Then again if he has the party's interests at heart he might try help them back in.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Do you think that Batten would be the type to soothe For Britain's entry back into the Party or not? Whether if he was would she go for it is another question in itself. However I suspect that a lot of both Kippers and For Britain members will be asking these questions. Interesting to see how this evolves.
Just going on his willingness to engage with Robinson I would presume yes.
It would make sense.
As things stand Battens UKIP and For Britain will in future elections be targeting the exact same subset of the electorate. Its hard enough to make progress in the UK electoral system without making it even harder by dividing the electorate through competing with like-minded people for the available votes.

SwordOfStCatherine

I suspect not. He was critical of her splitting away and crying off cos she didn't win the leadership election. Then again if he has the party's interests at heart he might try help them back in.
A week can be a long time in politics, honestly I think there is a possibility for some type of make up. For instance he is moving the Party more in the direction of For Britain. Both could have pressure from their bases.

SwordOfStCatherine

Just going on his willingness to engage with Robinson I would presume yes.
It would make sense.
As things stand Battens UKIP and For Britain will in future elections be targeting the exact same subset of the electorate. Its hard enough to make progress in the UK electoral system without making it even harder by dividing the electorate through competing with like-minded people for the available votes.
This is the thing- and I do not see either of them going out of their way to become different from the other in a really significant way. Though that may happen.

Top Bottom