Could Peter Casey have beaten MDH ?

The OD

PI Member
I don't think so. MDH had the backing of the meeja and most political parties. This coupled with his right-on opinions meant he was guaranteed a fairly large vote regardless.
What's really sickening is how so many people say he is a 'great President' but when pushed, few if any can point to anything concrete he has done.

He talks the talk and is rather cute and cuddly so people like him and base that like on feelings rather than facts. The reality is that he a state sponsored tic on the public purse who is far too narcissistic to step down and let someone else take over. He will go down in history as he craves, but his public record has always been one of toeing the line and looking good. Very little real achievements to his name.

Casey hit a nerve with his comments and while I didn't vote for him (I voted for Joan Freeman, the only candidate who seems to have given of herself to the needy unlike Sponger D Higgins, the other so called 'Dragons' or yer wan who I forgot about 30 seconds after I became aware of her) I can respect his ability to speak his mind. He spoke to a genuine concern in many about how travelers behave and they are not all making up their experiences.

D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
What's really sickening is how so many people say he is a 'great President' but when pushed, few if any can point to anything concrete he has done.

He talks the talk and is rather cute and cuddly so people like him and base that like on feelings rather than facts. The reality is that he a state sponsored tic on the public purse who is far too narcissistic to step down and let someone else take over. He will go down in history as he craves, but his public record has always been one of toeing the line and looking good. Very little real achievements to his name.

Casey hit a nerve with his comments and while I didn't vote for him (I voted for Joan Freeman, the only candidate who seems to have given of herself to the needy unlike Sponger D Higgins, the other so called 'Dragons' or yer wan who I forgot about 30 seconds after I became aware of her) I can respect his ability to speak his mind. He spoke to a genuine concern in many about how travelers behave and they are not all making up their experiences.
Well said.

It always baffles me when I hear people exalting him for the way in which he "represents our country". It's hardly that difficult. I'm sure any of the candidates could represent the country just as well. You're right that a big part of his appeal is that he is warm and cuddly, and does come across as statesman like. My parents voted for him for precisely these reasons.

I thought he came across as arrogant when questioned about the Hotel rooms and the pointless expensive flights. He refused to accept any responsibility and was clearly affronted that interviewers were daring to ask such questions. If we had a proper media they would have scrutinised him far more than they did. The same people who were happy to excuse him for wasting hundreds and thousands of public money are the same people who - rightly - complain about TD's taking advantage of the expenses afforded to them as public representatives.

I voted for Casey and gave Freeman my number 2. It was more a sympathy/protest vote more than anything else. I didn't like the way the media attacked him for making - what were in my opinion - fairly harmless remarks.

The OD

PI Member
Well said.

It always baffles me when I hear people exalting him for the way in which he "represents our country". It's hardly that difficult. I'm sure any of the candidates could represent the country just as well. You're right that a big part of his appeal is that he is warm and cuddly, and does come across as statesman like. My parents voted for him for precisely these reasons.

I thought he came across as arrogant when questioned about the Hotel rooms and the pointless expensive flights. He refused to accept any responsibility and was clearly affronted that interviewers were daring to ask such questions. If we had a proper media they would have scrutinised him far more than they did. The same people who were happy to excuse him for wasting hundreds and thousands of public money are the same people who - rightly - complain about TD's taking advantage of the expenses afforded to them as public representatives.

I voted for Casey and gave Freeman my number 2. It was more a sympathy/protest vote more than anything else. I didn't like the way the media attacked him for making - what were in my opinion - fairly harmless remarks.
Scratch the surface and you will find another thin skinned, cynical politician like Howlin, Rabbitte, Gilmore and Burton.

I didn't vote for Casey but not because of his traveler comments, Joan Freeman, irrespective of your views on her religious beliefs, seemed like a genuine person (as in the persona she put forward for election) in comparison to the others. The SF one was instantly forgettable.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
Well, Higgins doesn't have to do much. He has to check the constitution, sign a form and look affable abroad at the head of a trade delegation. It's not the post for a Trump.

No, I don't think the Caseman could've overhauled him.

Higgins is the perfect candidate. He has the right affable granda intellectual persona and the creaming off the system is all OK because if the average punter had the opportunity to cream the system, he'd have the aul head in the trough too. Yeah, Higgins was pretty unbeatable.

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
If he had of ran on the same ticket as Sharkey I'd be shocked if he wouldn't have dramatically increased his vote %. Tbh what he said to land all the controversy was as mild as you could get anyway. Imagine if he was preaching some real hard truths, imagine Lisdoonvarna etc were brought up?

NickJnr

Staff member
PI Member
This thread does not meet the requirements for starting a new thread.

To start a thread your Opening post should contain some content explaining what the thread is about, any evidence or supporting evidence. At a minimum, it should contain a few short sentences.

This thread will be moved to the Cage, if the OP would like to add to the OP then they can PM me or another moderator once they have done so, the thread will then be returned to the correct forum.

BURNOUT

PI Member

Carol Rumens: Billed as Ireland's poet-president, Higgins's verse is strikingly poor.

Professor Kevin Kiely says that the President's latest book is "lame, stale and stilted", that it is "bland, imprecise and ultimately incomprehensible" and that it's so bad that Michael D Higgins "can be accused of crimes against literature".

'The Man who Never Had a Visitor' is obviously about loneliness, Prof Kiely says, but adds that it is "merely anecdotal, melodramatic and inherently from the Ireland's Own School of Verse".

When Will My Time Come - MDH (very rich poet, not struggling)
When will my time come for scenery
And will it be too late?
After all
Decades ago I was never able
To get excited
About filling the lungs with ozone
On Salthill Prom.

And when the strangers
To whom I gave a lift
Spoke to me of the extraordinary
Light in the Western sky;
I often missed its changes.
And, later, when words were required
To intervene at the opening of Art Exhibitions,
It was not the same.

What is this tyranny of head that stifles
The eyes, the senses,
All play on the strings of the heart.

And, if there is a healing,
It is in the depth of a silence,
Whose plumbed depths require
A journey through realms of pain
That must be faced alone.
The hero, setting out,
Will meet an ally at a crucial moment.
But the journey home
Is mostly alone.

When my time comes
I will have made my journey
And through all my senses will explode
The evidence of light
And air and water, fire and earth.

I live for that moment.

Last edited:

The OD

PI Member
Carol Rumens: Billed as Ireland's poet-president, Higgins's verse is strikingly poor.

Professor Kevin Kiely says that the President's latest book is "lame, stale and stilted", that it is "bland, imprecise and ultimately incomprehensible" and that it's so bad that Michael D Higgins "can be accused of crimes against literature".

'The Man who Never Had a Visitor' is obviously about loneliness, Prof Kiely says, but adds that it is "merely anecdotal, melodramatic and inherently from the Ireland's Own School of Verse".

And will it be too late?
After all
To get excited
On Salthill Prom.

And when the strangers
To whom I gave a lift
It was not the same.

The eyes, the senses,

The hero, setting out,
But the journey home
Is mostly alone.

When my time comes
The evidence of light

I live for that moment.
That's just dribble really, isn't it?
''
It was not the same.''

A hard life in the vein of Keats and Yeats....opening Art Exhibitions and flying around in a private jet.

:rolleyes:

BURNOUT

PI Member
We have a great history of accepting mediocracy as the best on offer as 'leadership', just look back on the past few gov leaders Enda, Cowen, Aherne etc we are still counting the cost of their stupidity, waste, failed promises and then we salary them, give them vast expenses and a big pension....for what. Let us remember this at the coming GE.

maschseemägdelein

BANNED
PI Member

And will it be too late?
After all
To get excited
On Salthill Prom.

And when the strangers
To whom I gave a lift
It was not the same.

The eyes, the senses,

The hero, setting out,
But the journey home
Is mostly alone.

When my time comes
The evidence of light

I live for that moment.
What the fuck is this enjambment? Fuck...

How did this get published? I mean, no one is ever going to publish my sonnets, 'cause they suck.

Top Bottom