Cork’s youngest drag queen makes his prize-winning debut

FightingForTheBull

PI Member

Cork teenager Kevin Corr tells Sarah Horgan about becoming one of the country’s youngest drag stars.
A CORK teenage may well be Ireland’s youngest drag queen after making his glittering stage debut at the age of 14.
Up until last Sunday Kevin Corr’s performances as alter ego Karma were exclusively for his mum in their sitting room. After taking home first prize at the Miss Mockie Ah pageant, the gifted artist feels he is destined for a career in drag.
The event at Crane Lane had been organised by the grand-nephew of late star Danny La Rue aka Candy Warhol as part of a family-friendly drag showcase.

The Maryborough teen said drag has helped him overcome his shyness. He was inspired by the Ru Paul Drag Race television show.

“Normally I’m very shy,” said Kevin. “When someone in the chipper asks me if I’d like salt or vinegar I’ll get nervous and stutter my words. However, when I’m on stage that shyness leaves me and I feel nothing but confidence. Before seeing Ru Paul’s Drag Race I never realised that queens could look that fabulous.”

The performer admits he has suffered with self-doubt in the past. “There was a time when I thought ‘why am I like this?’ I wished I could have been into soccer instead. Now, Ru Paul’s Drag Race has become such a big part of my life. Watching it has given me confidence and taught me that it’s OK to be different.“

For the last few months, Kevin has turned his home into a makeshift runway. “I’m always closely watching how they lip sync. You have to practise the attitude, a fierce strut, and constantly whipping your hair back and forth.

“After seeing Ru Paul’s Drag Race I started practising running in high heels to see how well I could do. The splits were something I practised a lot too.”

Kevin said while bullying can be an issue for the LGBTQ community, he has been mostly lucky to date. “I haven’t really been bullied by the other boys. The only bullying I’ve really got is from girls who tell me that my make-up isn’t blended right or that my dance moves aren’t up to scratch. Now, if they say that all I’ll need to do is show them my trophy.”

Kevin revealed he was gay to his mother back in summer 2017 when he was 12 years old.

His mother Claire recalled: “When he first told me that he was gay and wanted to be a drag queen I was horrified.

“I thought it might be a phase and wondered if he would want to be something else next week.”

Kevin said: “I was scared of telling mum at first because I thought it might affect the bond we had.

“When I told her, the first thing she said was that she didn’t believe me. I decided that I would tell her again in another few weeks.”

Cork’s youngest drag queen makes his prize-winning debut
Well this Mother doesn't seem deranged or insane at all. You might even say allowing your 12 year old child to watch 'drag race' gutter shows was a bad idea. This is why we all have to support GOD's war on Channel 4.

Last edited:

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account

Well this Mother doesn't seem deranged or insane at all. You might even say allowing your 12 year old child to watch 'drag race' gutter shows was a bad idea. This is why we all have to support GOD's war on Channel 4.

"Before seeing Ru Paul’s Drag Race I never realised that queens could look that fabulous."

Desmond Is Amazing said he decided to be a minstral boy for gays because of this show too proving the point that exposure to the degeneracy is causing kids' desire to ape it. Course they gave him a prize and lavished attention on him too to incentise it. No doubt he'll be on the Late Late to be applauded for his bravery.

No mention of a father in the article. A step father is mentioned in the last line.

>Kevin also acknowledged his stepfather, actor Michael Twomey, for nurturing his talent and the charity LINC, which introduced him to other members of the LGBTQ community.

BURNOUT

PI Member
A lot of this new lifestyle news should just go in one ear and out the next, unless you have skin in the game. Like incessant football coverage, just switch off.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
The parent of any kid who becomes a drag queen needs some serious questioning
It would be interesting to know how much she posts about this on social media, and how much attention she gets for it. I suspect it's a large part of why parents encourage this in their children, for their own gratification.

Top Bottom