Commission of Investigation "Crock of $hit" re Mother and Baby Homes says activist Solicitor

Rasherhash

PI Member

Bad dog

Donator
PI Member

Coalition of Mother And Baby home Survivors - CMABS shared Bethany Home Survivors '98 group's post.​
October 18 at 8:37 PM ·​
++ LATEST LETTER BY DEREK LEINSTER WITH FULL UNEDITED TEXT HERE!! ! ++​
Illegitimate Children from Protestant run Homes Do Not qualify for Top Ten #Hashtags or immediate Referendums.​
...Continue Reading
Coalition of Mother And Baby home Survivors - CMABS shared Bethany Home Survivors '98 group's post.
October 18 at 8:37 PM ·​
++ LATEST LETTER BY DEREK LEINSTER WITH FULL UNEDITED TEXT HERE!! ! ++​
Illegitimate Children from Protestant run Homes Do Not qualify for Top Ten #Hashtags or immediate Referendums.​
To Whom it May Concern
There was a distinct and noticeable pattern with the Nursed-out children from the Protestant run Bethany Mother and Baby home and the network of so-called Orphanages they supplied. When a baby or child died, it mattered not one jot where or how they died.​
They would be picked up by the undertaker or, their tiny bodies transported in cars driven by Clergymen and Reverends. Sometimes on the back seat: sometimes locked in the boot. I traced a young boy from Monaghan who passed away but because I searched locally, it took me 6 years to find the lad as I presumed he would have been buried locally. I finally found the forgotten Protestant boy in a unmarked mass grave in Mount Jerome cemetery in Dublin. It suited the Hierarchy of the Protestant churches of the time to hide these Protestant children who had no one wanting them or caring about them. They were abandoned in life and in death by the Churches, the state and their own families in many cases. It was as if they just vanished, wiped off this planet as if they were never on it. The Hierarchy left no stone unturned; it would have been difficult to secure petrol during the second World War but they found it … when it came to burying the children deep in the ground and in the past of hidden history.​
The people running those notorious Protestant homes wanted no trace left of a Nursed-out child when they died. And that was why, when they died in Nursed-out homes, they could not have them buried where they died. Bodies had to be transported in the dark of night. History was hidden and there were no tracks or traces left in most cases. Their system of secrets worked like a dream for a full one hundred years and, without our research, started by Derek Leinster in 1998, the truth would have been buried along with the tiny bodies of innocent babies.​
The Bethany Home survivors got no help from the Protestant churches over the last twenty years and they are getting none today. Instead, obstacles have appeared at every turn. Calls and emails ignored and never returned. If they could had their way, we would never have known about the hundreds of Nursed-out children. Now we know, that most of these children were thrown in remote corners of the houses and left to rot; many, if not most, of those innocent babies died long, slow, lingering and dreadful deaths.​
Why should any one get away with this mass murder of Irish Children? If any invader had come to murder our Irish children, would we not have laid down our own lives to save these Irish Children? Because if not, we would be yellow and not fit to be called an Irish Man! Yet still we stand idly by today.​
:mad:There is no public or media storm demanding the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It seems that justice and recognition for the illegitimate Irish babies of the past, Protestant and Catholic alike, are not fashionable at the moment. We are not a top ten #Hashtag or worthy of an immediate Referendum upon demand. The survivors alongside the families of those lost babies, suffer in silence; and suffer alone. :mad:
I remain, etc.,​
--------------------------------​
Derek Leinster
Chair: The Bethany Home Survivors group '98
Rugby​
England.​
Good job Derek!​
How did he find someone in an unmarked grave?

Catalpa

PI Member

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Irish Forum Moderator
PI Member
Fire2theRain asked me to draw your attention to Catherine Corless' contribution to Six One News at on 22 Jan 2019 at 32 minutes,

RTÉ Player

Fire2theRain

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tadhg Gaelach

Can you please transcribe if only a sentence or two where allegedly Ms Corless talks about compensation.

The link will be removed shortly from RTE website. My video link just spins. Shonky RTE video.

Your link directs to 23 January. Ms Corless is meant to be on Tuesday 22 January -

RTÉ Player

Last edited:

Fire2theRain

PI Member
This is the shonky link that I have for RTE Six One 22 January 2019 (Ms Corless is meant to be on at 31 minutes in, but my link spins here) ~

RTÉ Player

^^^ The link will be removed by RTE shortly. Can you do the nitty gritty and transcribe Ms Corless talking about redress for a sentence or two?

Thanks for nothing!

Last edited:

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Irish Forum Moderator
PI Member
Corless starts at 32:30 and she says:

Its hard on some people I know
but I think the groups that are dissatisfied with Minister Zappone's announcement today
they're the ones who were looking for redress mainly
and in Tuam redress has never been to the fore at all

That's her full statement

Last edited:

Fire2theRain

PI Member
Corless starts at 32:30 and she says:

Its hard on some people I know
but I think the groups that are dissatisfied with Mrs. Zappone's announcement today

That's her full statement

I'm so grateful. I will publish that on my Castlepollard thread and Tuam thread. I found it hard to believe that she said that. She is not a victim and can't speak for victims. I heard Catherine Corless speak later on the Keith Finnegan Show where she might be rowing back from that statement. I will have to transcribe Keith Finnegan segment with Corless; and secretary to Tuam Home Survivors, who rang in to the show.

Fire2theRain

PI Member
Below RTE Six One news Video Link of Tuesday 22 January 2019 will be removed shortly from their website. Watch it now at 32:30.

*REDRESS*

*Ms Catherine Corless is suggesting those who complain about Minister Katherine Zappone are looking for compensation*

Scroll to 32:30 ~
RTÉ Player

Someone else transcribed Ms Catherine Corless's public statement:

"Its hard on some people I know
but I think the groups that are dissatisfied with Minister Zappone's announcement today

That's her full statement"

STARRY:

*REDRESS*

What is so maddening about the Government is the fact they have stated the survivors of the Mother and Baby Homes haven't survived anything. Therefore, acknowledgment and recognition for the survivors is still an issue of JUSTICE (Breeda Murphy, Secretary Tuam Home Survivors Network).

In the case of the Magdalene women, the flawed and dependent McAleese Report is used against the women to say there was no abuse.

Ms Catherine Corless is not a victim and can't speak for victims. Let Ms Corless get on with publishing her book (I speculate here … possibly one of Tuam's worst kept secrets) and negotiating film rights from all those offers she talked about.

Fire2theRain

PI Member
Ms Catherine Corless has been putting out a message for a while that the survivors are happy with Minister Katherine Zappone… BUT… but... but... nothing could be further from the truth

PART I

Podcast Wednesday 23 January 2019 ~ Keith Finnegan Show

Tuam Mother and Baby Homes

Commences 2:04

Podcast of The Keith Finnegan Show – Wednesday January 23rd 2019

Presenter Keith Finnegan:

"Catherine Corless is welcoming decision to extend." [A year's extension has been approved for Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes to complete their final report ~ 5 years in total]

Catherine Corless:

Ms Corless said she was approached by a few individual in December they had come across a possible mass grave in Roscrea in Tipperary [Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary Sean Ross Abbey Mother and Baby Home]. Those individualsl went to Commission of Inquiry and gave all their evidence. The evidence must have been taken up by the Commission. And that is one aspect why they need the extension.

REDRESS / Compensation

4:20

A lot of ["further ah?" INDISTINCT - CATHERINE CORLESS SWALLOWS HER WORD] are up in arms really because of redress, that is their main focus, but I can understand that.

Yet here with our group, redress has never been to the fore. And I don't think it should be. As our group state they want an apology, want an acknowledgment and they want justice for their mothers and all those children who died. Public opinion will be that they are only in it for the money, and I've heard that statement a few times. From all the evidence that has come out from Tuam alone and from the survivors she's met, they are adamant that they want an apology on behalf of their mothers. They want it out in the open what they went through. They want justice. To know how they suffered at the hands of the religious.

*"From her view Commission are doing a thorough investigation."

MS CORLESS' COMMENTS ARE A RED RAG TO A BULL FOR SURVIVORS ~ THE GROUPS WANT JUSTICE AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT, THEY HAVE BEEN DENIED THIS ACCORDING TO TUAM HOME SURVIVORS NETWORK, AMONG OTHERS

Ms Catherine Corless continues to exult Minister Zappone:

"If they need the extra year, they need it and *WE* WILL GO ALONG WITH IT."

I have full confidence in minister. I mean to say that I've been hammered for it by many. She's the only politician, she has done what she's said, what she has promised she has carried out for our group, as far as I can see, in Tuam. She has helped us so much. She is honest and sincere and she has helped us so much. That's all I can say."

She's very upfront and that's what I like. That is exactly what I like, she is very upfront and she keeps her word.

"I feel she does care every time she comes to us in Tuam. And she's there for us."

We can contact her any time and she is very empathetic with the Tuam cause. And with the burials in particular and the babies. *WE* HAVE FAITH IN HER AND HOPEFULLY WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. She wants to do the right thing.

STARRY: Breeda Murphy, Secretary for Tuam Home Survivors Network (THSN) rang in to the programme. I will transcribe what she said later. Quite understandably, TUAM HOME SURVIVORS NETWORK IS VERY UNHAPPY WITH MINISTER ZAPPONE. You can jump right in to hear what Ms Murphy has to say, if you like.

Highly articulate secretary of THSN Breeda Murphy is extremely frustrated with Minister Zappone. I transcribed her 13 March 2018 interview with Keith Finnegan where she expressed her group's frustration with the Minister's dismissive treatment of survivors. See below link.

13 March 2018

Castlepollard Exclusion From Commission on Mother and Baby Homes INQUIRY. (Original Thread) - Page 151

Anne Corrigan (Tuam Babies Group) said recently on Ray Darcy Show that the Government have never once notified her group about anything. The group gets their information from the media (and social media). When Minister Zappone made her release about the findings of human remains, they were never brought in and notified in advance. It was left to Catherine Corless to tell them.

I (Starry) can't for the life of me understand why Catherine Corless would allow herself to be used as an unpaid spokesperson for the government unless she is writing a book about her involvement. Ms Corless is not official. The government should be speaking directly to all the survivor groups. They each have their own spokesperson (e.g., Paul Redmond for Castlepollard Mother and Baby Home, notorious Bethany Protestant Mother and Baby Home has Derek Leinster., Peter Mulryan is Chair of THSN..).

Continuing with Part II THSN's secretary Breeda Murphy...

And for pity's sake, the Commission has silenced survivors. For example, they refused requests for public hearings from survivors Philomena Lee (film: Philomena) and Kathy McMahon (dec), founder of Irish First Mothers. All the Commission's hearings are in secret. Irish First Mothers Fintan Dunne and Chair Coalition of Mother and Baby Homes Survivors Paul Redmond exposed Zappone's Collaborative Forum as a sham.

Last edited:

Fire2theRain

PI Member
Continuing… My apologies for delay. I didn't want to use bullet points for this *POWERFUL* interview on Keith Finnegan Show with Breeda Murphy Secretary of THSN, who is able to OPEN PRESENTER KEITH FINNEGAN'S EYES TO *THE HORROR* OF UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN BY THEIR MOTHERS IN MOTHER AND BABY HOMES, AND THEIR NEED FOR *REDRESS* NOW...

Castlepollard Exclusion From Commission on Mother and Baby Homes INQUIRY. (Second Thread) - Page 104

PART II

23 January 2019 (the following day to government granting year's extension to Commission to complete Final Report)

Breeda Murphy, Secretary of Tuam Home Survivors Network rang up the programme on Line 6

Breeda: The reaction from our group, of THSN, is understandably one of grief. Because you have to remember the home operated between 1925-1961. And our survivors are elderly, and time is of the essence in finding recognition to them.

Keith Finnegan: Is it redress that your group are looking for?

Breeda: Redress has many different forms Keith. Families are seeking closure and are awaiting a report that rightfully places them central to transitional justice model, which the Minister has spoken about.

Keith Finnegan: What exactly are they looking for?

Breeda: Recognition that they spent time in a mother and baby home because right now to the government they haven't survived anything. The Minister knew early December that this report was being delayed, that she was being asked, she did not inform any survivor groups at all. The Commission themselves knew, possibly around September that they would seek a delay … an extension. They didn't speak about that either, it didn't become public knowledge. And Patsy McGarry, of the Irish Times wrote a piece last week [LEAK]. We immediately got in touch with the Minister's office and also with the Commission. Neither whom could respond at that time because the Dail was in recess. So there was nobody to answer any query in relation to it. And the Minister appeared to come out to say that report (Patsy McGarry - IT) was inaccurate, but in fact IT WAS TRUE. They did seek an extension of 12 months and that is in relation to the home. An interim report will come out about the home, and the grave site and where the children are buried. That will happen in March. But nothing will be done to give counselling services, to ensure that the survivors are getting the medical treatment that they need. [interrupted]

Keith Finnegan: Are the survivors cut adrift from all processes that could help them cope with what they went through?

Breeda: Exactly Keith, they have never been recognised, [un]like, we will say the Magdalene women fought for years, decades for Justice and for some it still has not come.

Keith Finnegan: Why do you need a report … this is a loaded question to you … Breeda Murphy , why doesn't somebody acknowledge if Keith Finnegan's name was on that list, and we have the list, Catherine Corless has the list of people who were there? If her name was on the list, we accept that she was in that facility, she might not have been treated the best, but she should get counselling, she should get a medical card if necessary and she should be looked after.

Breeda: Exactly. Even in housing some of the survivors are living in state housing that's not appropriate or they need more services. So there's many of them in their 80s, for them another year to gain recognition is an intolerable amount of time.

Keith Finnegan: Why not get the Minister, the Taoiseach, the government, the President who has spoken on this by the way, why not get those to give a blanket apology and try and get some sort of services for these people? There is no point in running the clock down like a bad sports game and these people falling off and dying. The mortality is closer than anything else to be honest. Let's face the facts here, make an apology of some sort, or make a gesture of some sort to recognise that these people were in mother and baby homes.

Breeda: Absolutely Keith. We wrote to the Minister on 16 January of 2018, and Deputy Noel Grealish who has been a tremendous support to us, personally hand-delivered that letter to the Minister. It outlined those issues that I've spoken about to you for a medical card for survivors who are elderly, for access to their files, for housing needs to be death with, for some counselling services, to be put in place. And for a true record of what happened there to be provided to them because our survivors traveled to Dublin and some people came to interview them from Dublin in Galway, in relation to the confidential committee, they took their testimony like I'm speaking to you now. And when they asked for a copy of that testimony they were not provided with this. So that is horrific. The government are holding secret all of those [backed up by Dr Maeve O'Rourke, speaking on behalf of ICCL...].

In essence when we wrote in January 2018, expecting a response from the Minister, [Independent TD] Catherine Connolly very bravely spoke up for us in Leinster House and said THSN did not get any response. We wrote again immediately following Patsy McGarry's piece outlining the fact that the Commission were seeking an extension of a further 12 months. They have been granted 12 months already last year. So this was a second extension. And we wrote again [REPEAT #2] enclosing a copy of the previous letter outlining those concerns again, and we have not received a response. And the Minister did not contact any of the survivor groups to say this report is being delayed, and they were not available. The report of the Commission would give RECOGNITION. Because the last report that came out from the Commission said that the survivors despite them giving evidence to the Commissioners, there was no evidence of abuse or neglect within the home. They did this with the Magdalene women before, they are doing it again now. [Interruption]

Keith Finnegan: They are saying that having done the work they've done, and the interviews they've done, they don't acknowledge that there was abuse in the mother and baby homes [THIS IS NEWS TO KEITH FINNEGAN, who will wrap up shortly]?

Breeda: That's what I'm saying. yeah. That was in the interim report. If we were to get another report leading to [Interruption]

Keith Finnegan: They don't accept that there was any form of mental torture, abuse or otherwise to these survivors of the mother and baby homes?

Breeda: That's the position right now. It's the reason that the survivors are not getting recognition. There was a point where the government were attempting to say well the children were accompanied by their mothers in the home, so therefore they were not quite as needy as those children who were sent to institutions , but they [Interrupted]

Keith Finnegan: Hang on a second, the kids were taken off their mothers.

Breeda: Yes they were, the mothers were not allowed bond with their children at all [Interruption]

Keith Finnegan: Sure they were living in a regime of absolute terror. [AGAIN THIS IS NEWS TO KEITH FINNEGAN]

Breeda: And the mothers were removed from the home after one year. They were either removed to another institution, and there are some more list of deaths online that a man

[Keith Finnegan sighs heavily here]

Breeda: (a man) called Aran Fox has retrieved for us, they again connect to Tuam. They were of two women who were in Central Maternity Hospital, who died there but related to Tuam. And there are a further 21 children who died as well who are connected to the mother and baby home in Tuam. As Catherine says there are revelations all the time, new homes. Every single home in the country should be investigated in my view.

Starry takes a break here...

This segment finishes in a few minutes with more details to come, but I will finish up my transcription later, I need to get message out there right now …..

PART II To be continued...

23 January 2019

READ ABOUT DISMISSIVE TREATMENT BY MINISTER ZAPPONE OF THSN HERE ~

13 March 2018

Castlepollard Exclusion From Commission on Mother and Baby Homes INQUIRY. (Original Thread) - Page 151

Starry: For presenter Keith Finnegan this is like a journey in to the Heart of Darkness (novella by Joseph Conrad ~ 'the horror').

Fire2theRain

PI Member
Keith Finnegan Galway Bay FM concludes discussion with Breeda Murphy Secretary for Tuam Home Survivors Network on 23 January 2019

Castlepollard Exclusion From Commission on Mother and Baby Homes INQUIRY. (Second Thread) - Page 104

Part II continues... Thrilling...

PART II

23 January 2019 (the following day to government granting year's extension to Commission to complete Final Report)

Breeda Murphy, Secretary of Tuam Home Survivors Network rang up the programme on Line 6 after listening to guest Catherine Corless speak

Keith Finnegan: We won't solve it today, but what we might try and do is put a round table discussion somewhere, and bring in some of the survivors. And let's just have a public broadcast of how they lived...

I'm after getting a text in that bothers me as well.

"Many from Roscrea are not just down there, as you described it Keith, many of us are here in Galway."

Breeda: That's absolutely true. There's actually one in our group who is from Roscrea, has joined us, is quite young, was from Shamrock Abbey, and did not know for some years, and did not find her file

So there are many many stories. Because we have our network on line, we get the most harrowing of emails.. I have just helped a family from UK who will come over shortly, I had a family here from United States last year for a while.

All the time it's ongoing. Home if anyone wants to contact us there, we will respond to everything.

Our survivors yesterday had an in-depth meeting with RTE, there's an in-depth report coming out shortly. ….

And the American network and the UK network have joined forces to do something within the next 3 months as well. It's on-going.

Breeda: We will come in Keith, give us an invitation, we will come in there.

Keith Finnegan: You don't have to be invited , the invitation is there, there but for the grace of God go any one of us indeed.

Thank you Breeda. We will see if we can get that organised ….

Keep strong guys really.

We will call out to Minister Zappone's office today and we will see what we can do in relation to getting her to join us. … We will get it checked.

………………...

Keith Finnegan said a lot of calls came in (Listen to all the comments in the podcast).

*REDRESS*

Keith Finnegan is a good presenter because he interrupted Breeda earlier [13:03] and told her "I'm not being smart now, but transitional justice and all that will go over an awful lot of people." Presenter Keith Finnegan then asked Breeda:

Keith Finnegan: What exactly are they looking for?

[13:03]

I am the cat that's got the cream because Keith Finnegan can now play the devil's advocate (FOR ME - Starry!). In my opinion, Keith has to go ahead with a round table discussion with or without Minister Zappone, as he is years out of date. At long last, the general public will get it. Brilliant!

Top Bottom