Cllr Seamus Treanor announces re-election bid

Saul Goodman

PI Member
Anyone running for political office needs to educate themselves and get to understand the issues and how to handle media questions.

The best way is know your subject. Say an economics professor offered to give her a crash course on the economic outlook. She would reject it and turn to some taxi driver instead. I could not believe what I saw and its very sad.
you need to get on the ballot in Cavan:unsure: I'm willing to join your canvas team(not much to be done with the cows in april/may)

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
I can contact any politician and have done so. Its on condition that you bring them facts and a written text. Meeting them is not a problem. They do nothing about it, but the point I make is that Gemma Doherty and Herman Kelly have no excuse for not been contactable. And that is what they are. They are out of touch permanently
I'm sure they are communicable but you do have to have something to offer them. Building a movement to challenge the regime is a time intensive activity and entertaining everybody who thinks they are the last word in political strategy is a losing game.

All these grass roots parties have an unavoidable ad hoc quality to them. The May elections will be an opportunity for them to learn on the job and to iron out the creases in advance of the more influential elections.

Gemma is not going to be able to win a straight up fight with the legacy media given her various self declared views. She's going to have go guerrilla on this and reach people via offline leaflet drops/social media.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I went last Monday, I intended to introduce myself as some one with a good legal knowledge and a plenty of contacts to check out some of her campaign issues. I met a few others and we agreed the reception was frosty, she is dictatorial. A man there announced that Ireland was an admiralty law jurisdiction, which is false. I tried to correct him and got nowhere. I can't understand why her campaign has not moved on to elections instead of preaching to the converted. She appears to be following Joe Duffy's model. She announced that running for election was cheap, nonsense. I told her that she needs to be ready for interview if she goes political, she said she would ignore the media.

Before leaving, I approached her and she was engrossed in a conversation with a 25 year old youth. The likes of him is no good. Seniors have the mileage up and know the ropes. She is niave, she might get elected as TD in Dublin, but she will not have any others with her. Her banner would be a good one, but she is not making it available.
I would put weight in your opinion Valamhic, and it is concerning to me. Maybe her role would be better as the senior adviser to another.

Macushla

PI Member
That is exactly what I told her. She said she would register a political party which I approve of. She thinks she can avoid the media, baloney. There is so much real good knowledge available to her for so many well wishers and she is determined to ignore it. She is hearing one side of the stories she campaigns on, but refused to hear the other side. There are facts on some of these cases she should know and she won't hear from a 25 North Dublin youth. I was very disappointed, but there is no hope there.
And when you introduced yourself to her were you wearing your crown and golden scepter at the time?

If not she may just not have recognised who she was speaking with. Mortifying on her part!

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
And when you introduced yourself to her were you wearing your crown and golden scepter at the time?

If not she may just not have recognised who she was speaking with. Mortifying on her part!
I agree with you 99% of the time, but in fairness, she said people came from all over, I think she said Donegal for example. There were 150 there according to them, surely you would have listened to all, even if you did not get home till morning. Valamhic was there to help and I would have viewed him as a potential local organiser in his area at least

charlie D

PI Member
from Seamus election leaflet

"with regard to immigration ,I have no problem with any person or family coming to this country to work or start a business,provided they can pay for their own housing and provide for their families themselves and obey our laws and customs"

I think we need to return to normal immigration , if people are coming to do jobs that can be filled by domestic workers , I am against this because it drives down wages and undermines workers rights , It means that they are also competing for housing stock with locals which drives up prices and leaves more people homeless . It should be on an invitation basis , if your skills are needed and its considered you wont be competing with locals for housing , health , school places etc thats fine but otherwise No .

valamhic

PI Member

She will have time enough to mortify when the elections are over.

valamhic

PI Member
I would put weight in your opinion Valamhic, and it is concerning to me. Maybe her role would be better as the senior adviser to another.
I think she wants to be an agony aunt, which is all right, but you need something of a policy as well

Last edited:

valamhic

PI Member
I think we need to return to normal immigration , if people are coming to do jobs that can be filled by domestic workers , I am against this because it drives down wages and undermines workers rights , It means that they are also competing for housing stock with locals which drives up prices and leaves more people homeless . It should be on an invitation basis , if your skills are needed and its considered you wont be competing with locals for housing , health , school places etc thats fine but otherwise No .
Controlled immigration, like it used to be

Top Bottom