Climate deal signals the End of Gas cookers and more expensive Energy bills.

Madam

Closed Account
Threads
The Climate deal signals the end of Gas cookers, and far higher living costs including Energy, food and transport.

I for one am against this, saving the environment shouldn't mean higher living costs for us, how does myself paying an extra 10 euro per week help save the planet?

Maybe its time energy was taken back into public ownership so huge profits can be avoided, but more and more Im reading that this climate deal is yet another scam to rob us of those few extra cents we have in our pockets each month.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Climate deal 'signals end to gas cookers': They'll have to be phased out to meet new targets, experts claim[/font]

• 195 countries agreed to limit warming to 'well below 2C' this week in Paris
  • Britain previously worked on 2C limit so will have to rethink emission cuts
  • Experts predict stricter rules and gas hobs will be phased out in 15 years

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]The Paris climate change deal spells the beginning of the end for cooking and heating with gas, experts claimed yesterday.[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]Within 15 years, British families may have to start phasing out gas cookers, fires and boilers if the UK is to meet new tougher targets aimed at halting rises in global temperature.[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]The United Nations agreement to stop global warming, approved by 195 countries at a summit in Paris after two weeks of intense negotiations, commits nations to reducing greenhouse gases from 2020 onwards to halt climate change.[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]It was hailed as historic by politicians. David Cameron said: ‘This global deal now means that the whole world has signed to play its part in halting climate change.’
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]But Britain’s energy plans will now have to be revised as our already stringent targets to reduce greenhouse gases are based on limiting global warming to a rise of 2C.[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]The new agreement is more ambitious, aimed at limiting warming to ‘well below’ 2C by the century’s end.[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3358616/Climate-deal-signals-end-gas-cookers-ll-phased-meet-new-targets-experts-claim.html#ixzz3uICrwXMK 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook[/font]

[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

The OD

PI Member
Threads
While I do believe there is a definite problem with the planetary climate and humanity has caused much of it, I also believe that these talks have a dual purpose of also finding a way to use this crisis to shore up the positions of the elite and to limit the freedoms of the ordinary person.

The French security services must be delighted that ISIS attacked Paris, gave them an early Christmas present to put the foot down even harder.

Ren84

PI Member
Threads
Madam said:
The Climate deal signals the end of Gas cookers, and far higher living costs including Energy, food and transport.

I for one am against this, saving the environment shouldn't mean higher living costs for us, how does myself paying an extra 10 euro per week help save the planet?

Maybe its time energy was taken back into public ownership so huge profits can be avoided, but more and more Im reading that this climate deal is yet another scam to rob us of those few extra cents we have in our pockets each month.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Climate deal 'signals end to gas cookers': They'll have to be phased out to meet new targets, experts claim[/font]

• 195 countries agreed to limit warming to 'well below 2C' this week in Paris
  • Britain previously worked on 2C limit so will have to rethink emission cuts
  • Experts predict stricter rules and gas hobs will be phased out in 15 years

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]The Paris climate change deal spells the beginning of the end for cooking and heating with gas, experts claimed yesterday.[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]Within 15 years, British families may have to start phasing out gas cookers, fires and boilers if the UK is to meet new tougher targets aimed at halting rises in global temperature.[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]The United Nations agreement to stop global warming, approved by 195 countries at a summit in Paris after two weeks of intense negotiations, commits nations to reducing greenhouse gases from 2020 onwards to halt climate change.[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]It was hailed as historic by politicians. David Cameron said: ‘This global deal now means that the whole world has signed to play its part in halting climate change.’
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]But Britain’s energy plans will now have to be revised as our already stringent targets to reduce greenhouse gases are based on limiting global warming to a rise of 2C.[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small]The new agreement is more ambitious, aimed at limiting warming to ‘well below’ 2C by the century’s end.[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3358616/Climate-deal-signals-end-gas-cookers-ll-phased-meet-new-targets-experts-claim.html#ixzz3uICrwXMK 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook[/font]

[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]
Well for a start the deal makes NO such demand that gas cookers be eliminated. Read the bloody thing and not the Daily Heil.

Besides, gas cookers are crap compared to electric cookers

Ren84

PI Member
Threads
Olli Rehn said:
No cooker ?
No fire ?

How do I heat the house ?
How do I do my cooking ?

I think this "plan" has to go back to the drawing board....
Just to re-emphasise that there is no such "plan". There is just an agreement to limit global warming to 1.5°C and allows states to come up with their own way of reducing emissions. That's all. This agreement is actually quite weak. There's little in the way of specifics and for all their self-congratulations the countries in Paris came up with nothing new that hadn't already been universally agreed upon , that greenhouse gas emissions need to be lowered.

OP
OP
Madam

Madam

Closed Account
Threads
Ren84 said:
Well for a start the deal makes NO such demand that gas cookers be eliminated. Read the bloody thing and not the Daily Heil.

Would you agree that the average cost of energy, food and transport will increase for the consumer?

Threads
Madam said:
Would you agree that the average cost of energy, food and transport will increase for the consumer?
Not necessarily. Big power companies are quite worried about the future of energy supply. People are already taking control of this essential commodity by going solar, or by using wind power. In Australia there is so much solar power generated on people's roofs that at least one big power company has decided not to embark on a new station because it may not recoup its costs.

There are many advantages in being in control of your own supply, aside from saving money (eventually). In towns there should be subsidies to encourage people to turn their roofs into solar panels. Germany is/has been doing this.

There are so many developments happening continuously in solar and other renewable research that I predict that within the next decade nearly everyone, including those living in not so sunny Ireland will have their energy needs met by renewable energy. As for manufacturing and other industry, they may need big power suppliers still. As Ren84 has pointed out, their needs can be met by nuclear power - better still, fusion power if that finally gets to be viable. Or by thermal power.

As for gas cookers I hope they are abandoned. They are much more dangerous than electric cookers (a gas supply can explode, for instance - as has happened several times this year in GB). Induction stovetops are as good as if not better than gas cookers, and much safer.

Don't panic, madam :)

Ren84

PI Member
Threads
Madam said:
No. If government's were to adopt sensible energy policies like large scale renewables, nuclear and improve energy efficiency then we would be paying less in the long term.

Ren84

PI Member
Threads
gracethepirate said:
Not necessarily. Big power companies are quite worried about the future of energy supply. People are already taking control of this essential commodity by going solar, or by using wind power. In Australia there is so much solar power generated on people's roofs that at least one big power company has decided not to embark on a new station because it may not recoup its costs.

There are many advantages in being in control of your own supply, aside from saving money (eventually). In towns there should be subsidies to encourage people to turn their roofs into solar panels. Germany is/has been doing this.

There are so many developments happening continuously in solar and other renewable research that I predict that within the next decade nearly everyone, including those living in not so sunny Ireland will have their energy needs met by renewable energy. As for manufacturing and other industry, they may need big power suppliers still. As Ren84 has pointed out, their needs can be met by nuclear power - better still, fusion power if that finally gets to be viable. Or by thermal power.

As for gas cookers I hope they are abandoned. They are much more dangerous than electric cookers (a gas supply can explode, for instance - as has happened several times this year in GB). Induction stovetops are as good as if not better than gas cookers, and much safer.

Don't panic, madam :)
I don't know why people still have gas cookers, they're simply awful, not to mention hard to maintain. Electric cookers are simpler, cheaper and don't require a separate fuel source.

Electric cooker OTOH are simple and just need to be plugged into your household electricity supply and you're good to go.

GodsDog

PI Member
Threads
Gas is a clean energy source compared to coal, oil or nuclear. 

No surprises to see Rien84 shilling for the nuclear industry as well as the state department!

If the atmosphere was the height of big ben, the top inch is co2.  of which the top 1mm is caused by human activity.
Does that sound like it is all that significant to you? No nor to me.

Our freaky weather is caused mostly by the jetstream bouncing around or el nino etc.

The more I see cynical use of "climate change" to achieve political ends, the more I start to think that this whole climate change thing is just a huge scam and a way of keeping the third world in it's place.

animal methane emissions account for more greenhouse gases than all the cars in the world, yet nobody was advocating a change in our diets at this stupid conference. No, because the corporate profits involved in the meat / fast food industry are huge.

Or maybe it was a case of "Hey, lets get the europeans to cut down on gas use.  That way they won't  buy as much russian gas."

It's hard to know what to believe any more.

Threads
Ren84 said:

Gas cookers are as save as electric cookers when installed and used in a proper way.
When it comes to energy efficency gas cookers beat electric cookers by a mile when the electricity is produced with fossil fuel.
Electricity to run an electric cooker must be produced with renewable energy to beat a gas cooker in energy efficency.

Top Bottom