Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Self Moderated Cardinal Pell - Australian Justice in the Dock

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Difficult to see if a High Court can overturn the verdict of a trial jury. I'm not a lawyer.

It can on the matter of procedure, and Justice Weinberg has pointed to a potential abuse of procedure, i.e. putting too much value on an intuitive appraisal of uncorroborated evidence - and not giving enough weight to objective evidence which contradicted that evidence.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
My great fear is that the ruling class will do their usual dirty trick when a case is going against them and the good Cardinal will be "found hanged" in his cell.

Ted

PI Member
It can on the matter of procedure, and Justice Weinberg has pointed to a potential abuse of procedure, i.e. putting too much value on an intuitive appraisal of uncorroborated evidence - and not giving enough weight to objective evidence which contradicted that evidence.
Indeed. The entire verdict appears to hinge on gut feelings and trust, while inconvenient evidence is dismissed.
The judges' testing of the robes - something that should have been done by the prosecution - amounted to them acting for the prosecution.

Ted

PI Member
Justice done and another pedo off the street
Would you fancy being convicted on the uncorroborated evidence of one person?
Is that your measure of justice?

Deut.: 19:15
"A single witness shall not rise up against a man on account of any iniquity or any sin which he has committed; on the evidence of two or three witnesses a matter shall be confirmed."

The irony of swearing on a Bible in court.

Ted

PI Member
If the only evidence against a defendant only amounts to testimony of one person, the plaintiff, and there is no other corroborative evidence, then the case should never have got to court, in my view.
That would apply if the accusation centred on financial or violent crime but we live in an era when certain accusations and, more pertinently, certain accused are given shortcut justice.
An accusation of sexual assault against a Catholic clergyman would have half the jury convinced of his guilt before the court hearing even began. The same probably applies to the judiciary.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
That would apply if the accusation centred on financial or violent crime but we live in an era when certain accusations and, more pertinently, certain accused are given shortcut justice.
An accusation of sexual assault against a Catholic clergyman would have half the jury convinced of his guilt before the court hearing even began. The same probably applies to the judiciary.
Well when your favourite antipope Francis promotes and shields homosexual predator priests all over the place what do you expect.
Why do you so vehemently defend him?

Ted

PI Member
Well when your favourite antipope Francis promotes and shields homosexual predator priests all over the place what do you expect.
Why do you so vehemently defend him?
Read my posts. I haven't defended anybody.
I'm saying you don't know your arse from your elbow.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Read my posts. I haven't defended anybody.
I'm saying you don't know your arse from your elbow.
You have come onto this forumtime aftertime vehemently defending the individual styling himself “pope francis “ as being a valid pope.
Then you come on wringing your hands that a catholic priest can not get a fair trial.

It wouldn’t occur to you why that might be.?

It is happening because the alleged boss of all these priests ,your “pope” Francis promotes and shields homosexual predator priests in many areas of the Catholic Church.
Then when he is found out tries to lie his way out.
Those are the unpalatable facts of the schismatic papacy that you support.

Dublin Stan

PI Member
You have come onto this forumtime aftertime vehemently defending the individual styling himself “pope francis “ as being a valid pope.
You are spammng about this and should be banned. I am going to #block you now as you degrade and devalue the site with this constant spamming

Reactions: Ted
Top Bottom