Cardinal George Pell Found Guilty of Child Sexual Abuse

Superhans

Administrator
Donator
Premium Account
This thread is now going to be Heavily Moderated or closed.

Thread Requirements.

1. Stay On topic.
2. Do not abuse others.
3. Do not make libelous comments.
4. Behave in an acceptable fashion.

5. Obey the sites rules.

Consider this a Final Warning to all.

Thread Bans will follow for any poster ignoring Instruction.

Fire2theRain

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It does seem extraordinary in the light of Pells vociferous protestations of 100% innocence that his defence lawyer would make such remarks.
I confess to being completely baffled.
Are the remarks being taken out of context.?
You'll have to read the article and work it out for yourself. Why do you think Robert Richter QC would say those things in court? The defence withdrew their bail application.

Catalpa

PI Member
mental Issues?
the man's life was destroyed by a despicable pervert, thankfully the law caught up with him. That peverted monster has destroyed many lives with his filthy obsession but you still support him. its telling that you love Pell but attack the victim.
The man has known mental issues

- he made unsubstantiated claims of abuse against Cardinal Pell

His testimony therefore is unreliable

On the Principle of the Presumption of Innocence therefore

- Cardinal Pell should have been found Not Guilty.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Oh I don't think people on here have any idea how badly this is playing out in Oz. I took a gander at a few Australian Catholic websites, where the faithful come to talk about their religion, and they are furious with Pell and the whole Catholic heirarchy. You cannot pull the wool over their eyes, they know a wolf in sheep's clothing. :)

No doubt, they were a la carte Catholics who probably voted for child murder. Genuine Catholics support Cardinal Pell and know he is an innocent man.

McTell

PI Member
It does seem extraordinary in the light of Pells vociferous protestations of 100% innocence that his defence lawyer would make such remarks.
//
Maybe the lawyer has heard this sort of thing from other abusers, and decided to cut to the chase to reduce the inevitable sentence.

Judges and lawyers can often pick up on tiny facial cues that the TV cameras won't see, and decide on guilt, over and above the spoken and written evidence.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Maybe the lawyer has heard this sort of thing from other abusers, and decided to cut to the chase to reduce the inevitable sentence.

Judges and lawyers can often pick up on tiny facial cues that the TV cameras won't see, and decide on guilt, over and above the spoken and written evidence.
If a defence lawyer makes statements clearly and obviously damaging the accused then his impartiality can be questioned.
Indeed it may even be grounds for a mistrial.

Pell claims 100% innocence.
If his defence lawyer was spouting admissions of liability etc then something is very very wrong.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
You'll have to read the article and work it out for yourself. Why do you think Robert Richter QC would say those things in court? The defence withdrew their bail application.
It is obviously a mistrial because Pell claims total innocence.
If a defence lawyer makes an admission of liability then he betrays a client who pleads total innocence.

GodsDog

PI Member
It is obviously a mistrial because Pell claims total innocence.
If a defence lawyer makes an admission of liability then he betrays a client who pleads total innocence.
It's Pell's own lawyer. Presumably under instruction from Pell himself and the church!
No doubt strategies were created for the various scenarios that might arise
to minimise any sentence the client might receive, and minimise damage to the church
which was presumably footing the bill for Pell's defence.

It's hilarious we are all discussing the lawyer's faux pas, for which he apologised, That's what a skilled bit of deflection can do. :)

GodsDog

PI Member
It's hilarious we are all discussing the lawyer's faux pas, for which he apologised, That's what a skilled bit of deflection can do. :)
Well you'd certainly know all about such tactics! 🐀

It's safe to say well paid professional defence lawyers don't generally make slips of the tongue like that by accident.

In a statement to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, he said he had made a “terrible choice of a phrase”.

“In seeking to mitigate sentence, I used a wholly inappropriate phrase for which I apologize profusely to all who interpreted it in a way it was never intended,” Richter said.

“It was in no way meant to belittle or minimize the suffering and hurt of victims of sex abuse, and in retrospect I can see why it caused great offence to many.

“I hope my apology is accepted as sincerely as it is meant and I will never repeat such carelessness in my choice of words which might offend.”
in any case clearly he was apologising for possible hurt caused to the victims not for being inaccurate about pell's defence plea!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-abuse-pell/cardinal-pells-lawyer-apologizes-for-terrible-choice-of-phrase-idUSKCN1QH1H9

Last edited:
Well you'd certainly know all about such tactics! 🐀

It's safe to say well paid professional defence lawyers don't generally make slips of the tongue like that by accident.
This is the last time I am going to say this. You got into enough hot water making personal attacks on me. Don't compound your initial error.

GodsDog

PI Member
This is the last time I am going to say this. You got into enough hot water making personal attacks on me. Don't compound your initial error.
I'm entitled to post my opinions on topics that are of interest to me just like any other poster on this board. Get over it.

I'm entitled to post my opinions on topics that are of interest to me just like any other poster on this board. Get over it.
You are not entitled to make personal attacks on other posters because you are convinced they are some other poster you had a feud with on another site or to start awarding them "nuclear points" someone more rational had to withdraw. Now that's your lot from me. I will leave you to go on showing yourself up. :)

Top Bottom