Can we create a new national movement out of the ashes of the abortion referendum?

I think the main problem with this plan is that most of the Priests and all of the Bishops would hysterically oppose such a movement.
They would certainly want to control it, and events in the 20th century, such as the events around Jozef Tiso have made them very wary of Direct involvement in Politics.

D

Deleted member 74

Non Registered Member
Whilst strangers were protected under Mosaic law, star worshippers (i.e pagans, atheists, polytheists) would have been run out of Israel quicker than one can utter Akum.
And what if they were stranger star worshippers?

And what if they were stranger star worshippers?
If they integrated into the Hebrew community, they'd be ok?

I don't believe that OT hebrews were as devout as we like to believe. In fact the OT is at pains to point out that they were constantly disobeying Torah.

However, violating purity laws and worshipping stars/planets/idols?

If it was covert, maybe you'd get away it? Practicing it within a 30 mile radius of the temple, and you'd be hung by the gnads from an olive tree.

BTW, archaeologists have discovered artefacts and relics that suggest that some of the early Hebrews carried on worshipping the Caananite pantheon of Gods (one of whom was Elohim interestingly enough). It seems to have died out rather quickly though, as the Hebrews moved toward monotheism and Yahwehism.

D

Deleted member 74

Non Registered Member
If they integrated into the Hebrew community, they'd be ok?

I don't believe that OT hebrews were as devout as we like to believe. In fact the OT is at pains to point out that they were constantly disobeying Torah.

However, violating purity laws and worshipping stars/planets/idols?

If it was covert, maybe you'd get away it? Practicing it within a 30 mile radius of the temple, and you'd be hung by the gnads from an olive tree.
Interesting. However the quote was aimed at Christians who purport to believe the bible. What Jews did 3000 years ago is actually irrelevant.

Not really, since JC preached "Love thy neighbour" too (Leviticus 19:9).

What people seem to forget - including Christians - is that the man from Nazareth, whilst he hung out with sinners ("It is the sick that need a physician"), still expected a high, perhaps even unattainable, standard of morality from his followers.

I'd agree with Cruimh, that the RCC is actually quite global in its outlook. It's been pointed out by some Catholic commentators that the Church's survival in Ireland may depend on immigrants.

Top Bottom