• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Can a Catholic layperson consecrate a Host for personal use during an emergency.

OP
The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Stupid response.
It's none of your damn business, but I will never deny my religion.
You're a thick, I asked a perfectly reasonable question, far more reasonable than your stupidity about laymen consecrating the Host.
What question did you ask?
You made an observation about the form of the Eucharist.
That’s not what the thread is really about at all.

If you don’t like my question or the discussion then perhaps this thread is not really for you.
And nobody is asking you to deny your religion.
Please don’t be so thin skinned.

Finally It’s not a stupid question but a perfectly reasonable one in the current catastrophe.

Last edited:
OP
The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Well, Communion Bread does not have to be a wafer.
As far as I know, a slice of Brennans Bread would serve in a pinch.
And I am not mocking or being facetious.
Hello Tw Tone.
I am sorry that my previous reply caused you offence.
Perhaps it was myself that was being thin skinned.
Obviously the thread subject is a delicate issue and misunderstandings can easily arise.
I misunderstood your response as being flippant which clearly it was,nt.

I hope you can make further contributions to this difficult subject as a person with such firm convictions as yourself would be invaluable.
Best wishes.
TFM.

Sham dÓg

PI Member
'The critical question to be answered is would such a consecration by a layperson be actually valid. '

Valid to who/what?

TW Tone

PI Member
What question did you ask?
You made an observation about the form of the Eucharist.
That’s not what the thread is really about at all.

If you don’t like my question or the discussion then perhaps this thread is not really for you.
And nobody is asking you to deny your religion.
Please don’t be so thin skinned.

Finally It’s not a stupid question but a perfectly reasonable one in the current catastrophe.
You have poor reading skills.
I raised the question of what bread may be consecrated.
You, in spite of your avowed interest in Catholicism, are unable to answer.
I will pursue the matter with people who may know what they are talking about.

OP
The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

PI Member
You have poor reading skills.
I raised the question of what bread may be consecrated.
You, in spite of your avowed interest in Catholicism, are unable to answer.
I will pursue the matter with people who may know what they are talking about.
I was not aware at all that you were raising a question because I recall no question mark on your written post.
If you want a comment please allow me tell you categorically that Brennan’s Bread is utterly unsuitable.
The sole requirement for the unconsecrated host is that it be made of unleavened bread.
In other words bread made without yeast or a raising agent.

Now perhaps you might like to please comment on the thread subject as you appear to think that it threatens your religious convictions

Last edited:
I was not aware at all that you were raising a question because I recall no question mark on your written post.
If you want a comment please allow me tell you categorically that Brennan’s Bread is utterly unsuitable.
The sole requirement for the unconsecrated host is that it be made of unleavened bread.
In other words bread made without yeast or a raising agent.

Now perhaps you might like to please comment on the thread subject as you appear to think that it threatens your religious convictions
For arguement sake, if a group where shipwrecked on a desert island with one priest and a sliced pan. The priest is injured but willing to direct a lay person in offering communion for those who want it.
The people want a bit of hope and strength and the priest to reassure them. Is it not more important them receiving something meaningful than what it's made from and who administers it?
Communion is symbolic after all of Christ's body, so if the host is fashioned out of unleavened bread or a slice of bread, if done with the right intention it shouldn't make a big difference under the prevailing circumstances.
So nit picking over the ingredients of the host and who serves it seem trival in the general scheme of things.

Last edited:

Eriugena

PI Member
'The critical question to be answered is would such a consecration by a layperson be actually valid. '

Valid to who/what?
'Valid' in sacramental theology means that it happens, 'invalid', that it doesn't.

Eriugena

PI Member
For arguement sake, if a group where shipwrecked on a desert island with one priest and a sliced pan. The priest is injured but willing to direct a lay person in offering communion for those who want it.
The people want a bit of hope and strength and the priest to reassure them. Is it not more important them receiving something meaningful than what it's made from and who administers it?
Communion is symbolic after all of Christ's body, so if the host is fashioned out of unleavened bread or a slice of bread, if done with the right intention it shouldn't make a big difference under the prevailing circumstances.
So nit picking over the ingredients of the host and who serves it seem trival in the general scheme of things.
That's Protestant. The Catholic Eucharist is the actual body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ.

Sham dÓg

PI Member
'Valid' in sacramental theology means that it happens, 'invalid', that it doesn't.
Thanks. Who judges whether it is valid or invalid?

If me and Fieldy are marooned on a desert island and he starts saying mass on a sunday, would it be a valid mass/consecration.

Top Bottom