'Broadcasting Authority of Ireland need to police social media to avoid another Trump or Brexit' -Prof. Alan Smeaton

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
'Broadcasting Authority of Ireland need to police social media to avoid another Trump or Brexit' -Prof. Alan Smeaton

Professor of Computing at Dublin City University, Alan Smeaton, has told Ray D'Arcy that the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland will need to police social media content in order to avoid another Trump or Brexit like victory.

Smeaton began the conversation by explaining that the first time that social media "really came into its own" was with Obama's re-election campaign which he described as a profitable use of social media.

Obama's campaign, he explained, targeted facebook ads at people based on their demographics - by age, gender, where they lived etc. They came up with a scheme where they organised a dinner with George Clooney and Obama and offered donors the chance to win a place at the dinner.

"They'd target females in affluent areas — If you want to have dinner, donate to Obama."

Smeaton says Facebook feels more personal because targeted ads are interspersed among messages from your friends.

But the fact that Donald Trump's re-election committee was already spending $1 million a month with 130,000 different ad types targeting different people worried him.

This data is readily available since facebook has launched a new facebook ad library allowing the public to see who buying what ads and who are they targeting and how many people are seeing those ads.

Ray said it is accepted now that there was Russian interference in Trump's election.

This was in reference to the news that a group in Russia had spent $46,000 on facebook ads in support of Trump and whose importance in Trump's election campaign had been been blown out of all proportion in the media.

Trump and Clinton spent $81 Million on ads and while the Russian agency had spent .005% as much, they were frequently used to explain Trump's victory by Hillary Clinton supporters.

Smeaton said people have been able to get away with all sorts of ads on social media saying things about the opposition with no policing. With so many he ads, he said it was difficult to police.

He said the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) who regulate ads on tv on radio have said they will do it online but that it's a huge task.

He also said that a lot of people have been calling for social media status to be changed from platform to publisher. This would mean social media companies would be liable for what is published on their websites like newspapers, magazines or TV shows. It's a change the social media companies strongly oppose.

Smeaton explained that he wasn't against social media and he though it was great the targeting other types of ads "but when it comes to elections, and when it's sort of dark matter and toxic content and it's very personal and you're the only person looking at that on your phone, it's dangerous."

"It has brought people together and it has made the world a better place except for a couple of cases like this."

"What happened with the Trump campaign and Brexit is that all this stuff comes out afterwards, then we see it and at that point, then it's too late."

Darcy put it to Smeaton that "like climate change", no one country could tackle the problem on its own because "it's a global thing so it needs global cooperation".

Smeaton agreed and replied that Ireland was in a unique position to do something because so many social media giants are based here. He also said the BAI would need a pro-active approach:

"We're in a position where these companies are headquartered in Dublin so it behoves us to do this and EU regulations kick in that in 2020, it needs to be monitored and policed and the BAI have put up their hands and said "we'll do that" but they won't do that by sitting back and waiting for people to complain because when I see some toxic content, some disinformation that tells me what I want to hear on my facebook feed, I'm gonna go "grand, now I believe that. I don't go complaining to the BAI about it so it needs a completely different approach."

Smeaton said we are now seeing social media companies embrace codes of behaviour and attributed the move to the threat of their status being changed to publisher rather than platform.

D'Arcy put it to Smeaton that they have to be seen to co-operate because the doom-day scenario for them was for their status to be changed to publisher. Smeaton agreed.

"It's right that they've changed tack in probably the last six months and we'll all benefit as a result and they also had to."

"We're hearing google, facebook and others now embrace those sort of codes of behaviour so you'd like to think we'll never have another Brexit or another Trump but you wonder..."

During the recent EU elections in Ireland, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland was accused of blocking certain candidates from appearing in TV debates like IREXIT campaigner Hermann Kelly, anti-eviction Activist Ben Gilroy and Investigative journalist Gemma O'Doherty.

Broadcast: The Ray D'Arcy Show | RTÉ Radio One | 01 July 2019

Impact of social media giants on Irish elections needs to be policed

Last edited:

ShumanTheHuman

Donator
PI Member
Who cares what a professor of computing thinks about Social Media? This is like asking someone who manufactures paper should opinions on the letters page of the broadsheets be censored. It's none of their business. Outside of their purview - a phrase I remember hearing quite a bit recently. Get back in your box sunshine

blue velvet

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
These utter wankers. Trump and Brexit was democracy, you pair of utter wankers.

In the minds of these idiots, the Trump and Brexit results were 'mistakes' and can only be explained by some kind of skullduggery involving Russians or 'dark money'.

They cannot accept that People democratically voted for both Trump and Brexit.

Notice they are fine with Obama's use of Social Media for his campaign, but when Trump uses it, it's bad.

Also they are fine with the Social Media Giants Google and Facebook interfering in the 2018 referendum in Ireland, because they got the 'right' result.

Most work conversations I have about Brexit go something like this:

Work Colleague: 'Ah, they were fooled into it. The lies from Boris and Farage. The Ads on the Buses'.

Me: 'Do you think it's possible that they were voting to reassert British sovereignty and independence from an increasingly undemocratic and unaccountable EU?'

Work Colleague: 'Farage was getting tonnes of money from the Russians'

Me: 'Why do you think the media only investigates the funding of the Vote Leave Campaign and never the funding of the Remain Campaign? Who funds OFOC and that wanker Femi?'

Work Colleague: 'Ah, they were fooled into it. They'd all vote to Remain in the morning. The UK economy is sinking'.

Me: 'No it isn't. It's doing well. Germany is about to enter recession and the rest of the Eurozone is in trouble'.

Work Colleague: 'So did you see Love Island last night'.

Last edited:

Oliver Plunkett

Donator
PI Member
What EU think tanks is this guy connected with? These people rarely operate in a vacuum

Leaked European Union Document Discusses Potential Regulations to Combat “Online Hate” and “Disinformation Campaigns”

valamhic

PI Member

Professor of Computing at Dublin City University, Alan Smeaton, has told Ray D'Arcy that the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland will need to police social media content in order to avoid another Trump or Brexit like victory.

Smeaton began the conversation by explaining that the first time that social media "really came into its own" was with Obama's re-election campaign which he described as a profitable use of social media.

Obama's campaign, he explained, targeted facebook ads at people based on their demographics - by age, gender, where they lived etc. They came up with a scheme where they organised a dinner with George Clooney and Obama and offered donors the chance to win a place at the dinner.

"They'd target females in affluent areas — If you want to have dinner, donate to Obama."

Smeaton says Facebook feels more personal because targeted ads are interspersed among messages from your friends.

But the fact that Donald Trump's re-election committee was already spending $1 million a month with 130,000 different ad types targeting different people worried him.

This data is readily available since facebook has launched a new facebook ad library allowing the public to see who buying what ads and who are they targeting and how many people are seeing those ads.

Ray said it is accepted now that there was Russian interference in Trump's election.

This was in reference to the news that a group in Russia had spent $46,000 on facebook ads in support of Trump and whose importance in Trump's election campaign had been been blown out of all proportion in the media.

Trump and Clinton spent $81 Million on ads and while the Russian agency had spent .005% as much, they were frequently used to explain Trump's victory by Hillary Clinton supporters.

Smeaton said people have been able to get away with all sorts of ads on social media saying things about the opposition with no policing. With so many he ads, he said it was difficult to police.

He said the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) who regulate ads on tv on radio have said they will do it online but that it's a huge task.

He also said that a lot of people have been calling for social media status to be changed from platform to publisher. This would mean social media companies would be liable for what is published on their websites like newspapers, magazines or TV shows. It's a change the social media companies strongly oppose.

Smeaton explained that he wasn't against social media and he though it was great the targeting other types of ads "but when it comes to elections, and when it's sort of dark matter and toxic content and it's very personal and you're the only person looking at that on your phone, it's dangerous."

"It has brought people together and it has made the world a better place except for a couple of cases like this."

"What happened with the Trump campaign and Brexit is that all this stuff comes out afterwards, then we see it and at that point, then it's too late."

Darcy put it to Smeaton that "like climate change", no one country could tackle the problem on its own because "it's a global thing so it needs global cooperation".

Smeaton agreed and replied that Ireland was in a unique position to do something because so many social media giants are based here. He also said the BAI would need a pro-active approach:

"We're in a position where these companies are headquartered in Dublin so it behoves us to do this and EU regulations kick in that in 2020, it needs to be monitored and policed and the BAI have put up their hands and said "we'll do that" but they won't do that by sitting back and waiting for people to complain because when I see some toxic content, some disinformation that tells me what I want to hear on my facebook feed, I'm gonna go "grand, now I believe that. I don't go complaining to the BAI about it so it needs a completely different approach."

Smeaton said we are now seeing social media companies embrace codes of behaviour and attributed the move to the threat of their status being changed to publisher rather than platform.

D'Arcy put it to Smeaton that they have to be seen to co-operate because the doom-day scenario for them was for their status to be changed to publisher. Smeaton agreed.

"It's right that they've changed tack in probably the last six months and we'll all benefit as a result and they also had to."

"We're hearing google, facebook and others now embrace those sort of codes of behaviour so you'd like to think we'll never have another Brexit or another Trump but you wonder..."

During the recent EU elections in Ireland, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland was accused of blocking certain candidates from appearing in TV debates like IREXIT campaigner Hermann Kelly, anti-eviction Activist Ben Gilroy and Investigative journalist Gemma O'Doherty.

Broadcast: The Ray D'Arcy Show | RTÉ Radio One | 01 July 2019
This is too long. No Irish regulator works. I can vouch for that. He is wrong about Russian interference. They did interfere but there is nothig to show it was on Trumps behalf. Information about Hillary was obtained, Russia helped make it public and Trump used it to discredit Hillary. It was Hillary who did wrong and everything after that was merely a consequence of that.

Reactions: Jim

Olli Rehn

PI Member
Restricted
Censored zone of Political Irish. Soon deported.
Don't forget to visit my YouTube channell. Real True Educational. valmartinirelandyou tube Val Martin
Funny videos, Val.
They remind me of some fellows you meet in the bog.
Keep it coming.
By the way- John Duggan died the other day. Why don't you apply for a job at MWR ? You would be an ideal replacement!