Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Brendan Howlin becomes new Labour Party leader

Picom

PI Member

Brendan Howlin has been elected unopposed as Labour Party leader after Alan Kelly failed to secure the necessary support for a leadership run.

First elected to the Dáil in 1987, Mr Howlin served as minister for Public Expenditure and Reform in the last Government.

He has twice contested the leadership of the Labour Party, losing out to Ruairi Quinn and Pat Rabbitte.
Mr Howlin replaces Joan Burton, who announced she was stepping down after a disastrous showing in the General Election, which saw the party drop to seven seats.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0520/789771-labour-leadership/

smurftool

PI Member
Alan Kelly got no nomination and Howlin has been appointed without a vote, that Democracy for you!

bobsecret

Donator
PI Member
Gutted AK47 didn't get the gig, he would have destroyed Labour faster and more fun to watch.

bartypus

PI Member
This photo sums it up for me

Dont like Howlin, he stitched up many people whilst in government, but Kelly would have been a nightmare for the Labour party.

Casstiel

PI Member
Delighted to see Brendan, I disagree with others who say he was a nasty man, he was a wonderful person in government and he will be a great leader for the Labour party.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Delighted to see Brendan, I disagree with others who say he was a nasty man, he was a wonderful person in government and he will be a great leader for the Labour party.
We'll he will soon enough have another election and we will see how this little guy does.

DrPat2

PI Member
Howlin put foot toes and all in mouth there. Howlin comes across and a bit of an egoist with an annoying sense of self-entitlement. Kelly is more of a wild card.

Top Bottom