Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Books forum

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
I am at present reading the 2 volumn set, The Diaries of John Quincy Adams

Catalpa

PI Member
Reading Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson which centres on the American Civil War and the events that led up to it.

Its quite long at some 900 pages that covers a lot of different aspects of the War and ties them together in one narrative.

Excellent account by a gifted writer.

Being a Civil War buff helps mind but I am well into it now.

The book was an immediate commercial and critical success, an unexpected achievement for a 900-page narrative. It spent 16 weeks on The New York Times hardcover bestseller list with an additional 12 weeks on the paperback list.[2] Writing for The New York Times, Brogan described it as "...the best one-volume treatment of its subject I have ever come across. It may actually be the best ever published."[1]

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Reading Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson which centres on the American Civil War and the events that led up to it.

Its quite long at some 900 pages that covers a lot of different aspects of the War and ties them together in one narrative.

Excellent account by a gifted writer.

Being a Civil War buff helps mind but I am well into it now.

The book was an immediate commercial and critical success, an unexpected achievement for a 900-page narrative. It spent 16 weeks on The New York Times hardcover bestseller list with an additional 12 weeks on the paperback list.[2] Writing for The New York Times, Brogan described it as "...the best one-volume treatment of its subject I have ever come across. It may actually be the best ever published."[1]
I might read that. 31 years ago it was written.

D

Deleted member 2946

Non Registered Member
The Art of Writing - Robert Louis Stevenson

Swords Driver

PI Member
"Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism " by Dr Ha-Joon Chang
A must read for anyone interested in how capitalism is corrupted.

Top Bottom