Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Books forum

Black Azrael

PI Member
James Runcie: The Road to Grantchester.

A great deal more than merely, as the author suggests, a 'prequel' to his six books of 'cozy' detective fiction.

The central characters journeys from personal angsts to religious faith, and enters the Anglican priesthood, with continuing doubts and conscientious difficulties. The first third is a harrowing account of the war in Italy, from Salerno to Monte Cassino, and on to the Po Valley.

It is a far, far stronger novel than anything else from Runcie.

Reactions: BSA

BSA

PI Member
James Runcie: The Road to Grantchester.

A great deal more than merely, as the author suggests, a 'prequel' to his six books of 'cozy' detective fiction.

The central characters journeys from personal angsts to religious faith, and enters the Anglican priesthood, with continuing doubts and conscientious difficulties. The first third is a harrowing account of the war in Italy, from Salerno to Monte Cassino, and on to the Po Valley.

It is a far, far stronger novel than anything else from Runcie.
Good call there ...

Sounds an intriguing read ...

page61

PI Member
Always leave them laughing ..John Fisher

Biography of the great Tommy Cooper...so far so good

D

Deleted member 863

Non Registered Member
This Great Little Nation by Gene Kerrigan.

Black Azrael

PI Member
A sizeable complaint:

I have all of Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti novels — the more recent of them in hardback. They make one of my shelves unnaturally well-ordered.

Note the void. That is because the most recent is Unto Us a Son is Given. When I'd finished (Leon takes me ... oh ... all of a day's reading), I went to put this with its companions.

It happens that those previous sixteen (plus a stand-alone novel) each measure 22cm in height. The shelf pitch, then, is 23cm. This latest addition is 24cm in height:

P

Pi poster

Non Registered Member
This Great Little Nation by Gene Kerrigan.
I was reading a book called the Wind in the Willows, which was very good.

The is a character called Mole, everytime it made me think of you which was funny, but I don't know if your name is pronounced in the same way.

D

Deleted member 863

Non Registered Member
My name rhymes with towel, trowel, cowl, and foul.

But not Mole - lovely character that he is.

I loved The Wind In The Willows when I was a child.

It lead me to some great other fantasies like Lord Of The Rings, The Kalevala, and the Bible.

All epic fantasies.

All dreamt up.

OP
Oliver Plunkett

Oliver Plunkett

Donator
PI Member
Just now reading Ireland's Loyalty to the Mass (1933) by Fr. Augustine Hayden. Fr Hayden was a great Priest and true patriot. Always remember that Ireland's enemies have long sought to destroy our Faith, principally via attacks on the Liturgy:

Attachments

Top Bottom