book recommendations

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Paul McCotter's Medieval Ireland: Territorial, Political and Economic Divisions.
This is a great piece of research into the Trícha Cét Gaelic land and clan based division, which also explains the Bally or Baile system and how we have our townlands today.

Matthew Stout's Early Medieval Ireland 431-1169.
This is a brilliant introduction into Medieval Irish history with fascinating maps and photos. Covers everything from church formation to the development of the different regional dynasties.

I am tempted to get the first book, how come they are so expensive. I would like to know how counties were formed. I have yet to meet an Irish person who was able to tell me. I am not moaning that they are as dumb as mules or anything but it seems to me that it could not be too difficult a question.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Here's a book you might like.
It's written by a former hostage negotiator.

I'm currently re-reading it.

Thank you H, I have put it on my wish list at audible.com.

Enjoyable translations of some excellent Roman texts. I've been a follower of the translator Quintis Curtius for some years now. His blog spurred me into purchasing these books and I am all round richer for it!

For anyone who writes on a regular basis, I'd highly recommend the following book.
While it could do with being shortened, it's nonetheless brimming with useful advice.

Here's a review of the book.

An Effective Technique for Overcoming Writer’s Block

Most of the time it helps to separate the creating and criticizing processes so they don’t interfere with each other: first write freely and uncritically so that you can generate as many words and ideas as possible without worrying whether they are good; then turn around and adopt a critical frame of mind and thoroughly revise what you have written . . .You’ll discover that the two mentalities needed for these two processes—an inventive fecundity and a tough critical-mindedness—flower most when they get a chance to operate separately.” (Writing With Power, Peter Elbow)

Last edited:
And another book on writing I read a while back, The sense of style By Steven Pinker.

This one is more for the editing phase of writing, while the first one is for getting words down.

OP
OP
Καπανεύς
Alright all you Goidelic niggers!

Here's a book you may not know about but should!

YEP! It is the book that you should have read when you were ten years old!

But it is not too late! (((Amazon))) are selling the first volume at only 20 pounds!

Order today!

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
what book Capaneus?
my favorite book these last few years is - The Fundamentals of Irish Fundamentalism by me. it is the green book of the Irish Fundamentalist Unpopular Front and can be yours for only 25 euro.

Top Bottom