book recommendations

I am always looking for book recommendations and I can not find another thread of this nature, so I might as well start one.

I am wondering specifically if Eoin O'Duffy ever produced any political writings. He surely must have. If so, is anyone aware of the name of one of these texts?

I am aware in Portugal and Spain at the time there were similar Fascistic groups that allied themselves with Catholicism. Perhaps a monarch and aristocracy with a one-party Fascistic parliament is worth considering.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
I am always interested in reading but everyones interests are different.

I am nearing the end of this one on audible.com

I read/listen to a huge amount of books so I will read along if you get a good book

Eoin O'Duffy: A Self-Made Hero by Fearghal McGarry

This is all I can find. I would prefer to read something actually written by him, but this will have to do. I will order it soon, unless someone has any other recommendations. There were three other finds on goodreads, but they were in French.
I think the most interesting of the Inter-War "Fascist" movements was the Romanian Legion of the Archangel Michael/Iron Guard.
Codreanu? Always meant to read "For my Legionaries" or whatever it is called, but never got around to it.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Eoin O'Duffy: A Self-Made Hero by Fearghal McGarry

This is all I can find. I would prefer to read something actually written by him, but this will have to do. I will order it soon, unless someone has any other recommendations. There were three other finds on goodreads, but they were in French.Codreanu? Always meant to read "For my Legionaries" or whatever it is called, but never got around to it.
Yes indeed Codreanu. A book that you should definitely is "The Third Empire" by Arthur Moeller van den Bruck which gave rise to the Revolutionary Conservative movement in inter-war Germany.

Germany's Third Empire : Arthur Moeller van den Bruck : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Thargor

Political Irish
Paul McCotter's Medieval Ireland: Territorial, Political and Economic Divisions.
This is a great piece of research into the Trícha Cét Gaelic land and clan based division, which also explains the Bally or Baile system and how we have our townlands today.

Matthew Stout's Early Medieval Ireland 431-1169.
This is a brilliant introduction into Medieval Irish history with fascinating maps and photos. Covers everything from church formation to the development of the different regional dynasties.

I am always looking for book recommendations and I can not find another thread of this nature, so I might as well start one.
Are you looking for books that confirm your biases, or are you looking to expand your perspective on life?

Anyhow, this should get you started down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I am always interested in reading but everyones interests are different.

I am nearing the end of this one on audible.com

I read/listen to a huge amount of books so I will read along if you get a good book

Here's a book you might like.
It's written by a former hostage negotiator.

I'm currently re-reading it.

Are you looking for books that confirm your biases, or are you looking to expand your perspective on life?
I am not completely closed off to a new perspective, but I think reading helps develop a better understanding of various ways in which you can defend what already makes up your general ideology.

The Varieties of Religious Experience and The Sacred and the Profane seem interesting. Perhaps I should read Jung at some point. I have read Descartes, but it has been some time.

I am not completely closed off to a new perspective, but I think reading helps develop a better understanding of various ways in which you can defend what already makes up your general ideology.

The Varieties of Religious Experience and The Sacred and the Profane seem interesting. Perhaps I should read Jung at some point. I have read Descartes, but it has been some time.
The book Descartes' error is a book on neuroscience.
Specifically, it's about how reason and the emotions are inextricably linked.

Also, Thinking fast and slow is very enlightening.
Don't let the fact that Daniel Kahneman is an Israeli Jew turn you off reading it

Can anyone recommend any good books on Vietnam. The war that is. I enjoy reading primary texts, as in written by leaders and such but I'm happy with whatever. Thanks folks.

Top Bottom