"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Film

Nicenin

Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Virtually never going to the cinema anymore I ventured out tonight to the Freddie Mercury biopic. The film has been getting less than stellar reviews but has well exceeded box office expectations with a bumper $50 million opening weekend in the US alone and $122 million globally in a week.

Whilst admittedly suffering from clunky dialogue and plotting in its first half, the stunning production design and concert sequences bring to life the magic of London in the mid 1980s. The performances from the lead four actors are so uncanny - particularly the lad playing Brian May - you forget you are not looking at the real band.

The real interest however is the disparity between critics and the audience reaction. A scan of social media reveals audiences totally at odds with the officially sanctioned tastemakers.

Having seen the film I suspect I know why - the film rather remarkably adopts a morally critical tone towards Freddie's homosexual exploits. Paul Prenter his LGBT manager and entourage are portrayed as parasites and scavengers. The character of Mary Austin verbally chastises the behaviour of Freddie's gay sex partners. And there are no BAME characters at all other than those who genuinely existed in the real world narrative.

Could it be that the critical sidelining and disdain is that the filmmakers chose not to whitewash the facts of Freddie's downfall?

'Bohemian Rhapsody' Review: Freddie Mercury Gets Slut-Shamed In Homophobic Biopic

Threads
Virtually never going to the cinema anymore I ventured out tonight to the Freddie Mercury biopic. The film has been getting less than stellar reviews but has well exceeded box office expectations with a bumper $50 million opening weekend in the US alone and $122 million globally in a week.

Whilst admittedly suffering from clunky dialogue and plotting in its first half, the stunning production design and concert sequences bring to life the magic of London in the mid 1980s. The performances from the lead four actors are so uncanny - particularly the lad playing Brian May - you forget you are not looking at the real band.

The real interest however is the disparity between critics and the audience reaction. A scan of social media reveals audiences totally at odds with the officially sanctioned tastemakers.

Having seen the film I suspect I know why - the film rather remarkably adopts a morally critical tone towards Freddie's homosexual exploits. Paul Prenter his LGBT manager and entourage are portrayed as parasites and scavengers. The character of Mary Austin verbally chastises the behaviour of Freddie's gay sex partners. And there are no BAME characters at all other than those who genuinely existed in the real world narrative.

Could it be that the critical sidelining and disdain is that the filmmakers chose not to whitewash the facts of Freddie's downfall?

'Bohemian Rhapsody' Review: Freddie Mercury Gets Slut-Shamed In Homophobic Biopic
Mrs D went to see the movie. She is a Queen music fan and she thought that the movie was superb. She said the portrayal of Mercury by the actor was very good, and the portrayal of Mary Austen appeared to be accurate (Austen appeared to have Mercury's best interests at heart, in everything I ever read about the band).

In my book collection I've several books about the music industry and finance. If I'm not mistaken the company formed by Queen had the highest paid company directors (the band members) in the industry at the time.

Whether one likes their music or not (and I'm no fan of their music), Queen's financial takings were huge.

Threads

Sorry, but what is BAME.
I saw Queen in Slane in 1985 (ish).
Freddie was the best gay Ambassador in our lifetime.
He didn't demand special treatment just for having different sexual peccadillos. Nor did he continually remind the world that he was a "gay man, you know" in every interview.
Todays queer Ambassadors are obnoxious, shallow, lippy and crude.

jpc

PI Member
Threads
Have to say that I loved it.
The chronology is a littlebit out.
And there's some artistic license.
But who cares because overall it's brilliant.
And critics.
Fack em!
Heads up their conceited PC holes.

jpc

PI Member
Threads
Any of ye see them in Slane in 86?
The rain showers the Bangles and Chris Really.

OP
OP
Nicenin

Nicenin

Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Sadly no - not allowed!

Saw the new line up (with Adam Lambert) in Marlay Park in July. I expected nothing but it was fantastic. Lambert in particular.

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
i watched it last night loved it: well done. the public will love and it it will remind the youth just now crap modern music and musical celebrities are now! what a golden era for music!

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
My daughter saw it tonight before I realized it was some flick about some irish gay lad. Had I known, I would not let her go, I would not let go, no no no, I would not let her go.

Threads
I was there and to be honest it was horrible.
We camped in a field the night before in the drizzle. My friend brought a tinker into the tent for a shift, and we woke up the next morning minus a wallet and several cans of Harp.
Lots of drunk guys with straw hats in attendance. People were pissing in empty cans and glass bottles and hurling them further into the crowd.
It was a mudbath below our feet. I was sober, wet, cold and tired and surrounded by mostly scumbags.
Freddie came out minus his trademark Crown and red cape as it could have offended some drunk prick, and it just seemed to be lacklustre due to the crowd reception.

Threads
I was there and to be honest it was horrible.
We camped in a field the night before in the drizzle. My friend brought a tinker into the tent for a shift, and we woke up the next morning minus a wallet and several cans of Harp.
Lots of drunk guys with straw hats in attendance. People were pissing in empty cans and glass bottles and hurling them further into the crowd.
It was a mudbath below our feet. I was sober, wet, cold and tired and surrounded by mostly scumbags.
Freddie came out minus his trademark Crown and red cape as it could have offended some drunk prick, and it just seemed to be lacklustre due to the crowd reception.
Bummer. I was in Slane once to see Chili Peppers (they were supporting BoN.W.O and the girls). Chilis were great but there was an accident on road back to Dublin - hours in the one spot in car with no cans. Twas depressing. Will only go to Slane again if I've a helicopter.

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
May go and see this, heard good things about it. One thing though, has it been ruined bt the snowflake liberal agenda?

Top Bottom