Bin charges - do you care?

Does the new pay by weight bin charges worry you?

• Yes

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

bartypus

Political Irish
Threads
As someone who is already paying €400 per year to have my bins collected I find it both funny and strange how those living in cities like Dublin are crying unfairness at the prospect of their charges being similar.

Its actually with disgust that I wonder how and why the people of Dublin were getting their charges so cheap in the first place.

We are told by the media that the bin charge fiasco is the latest worry for the government who are afraid that the bin charge anger could be as bad as the anger over Irish water!

I simply do not thin this is the case, many like me are paying absolute fortunes already to private operators and have been doing so for many years, this current anger over the charges is a complete farce!

Alan Kelly: 'I never envisaged the dramatic increase in bin charges'

THE FORMER MINISTER responsible for introducing pay-per-weight waste charges has said he did not envisage price hikes under the new system.

This week, householders were notified that their waste collection charges could double or even treble in some cases over the coming months.

Both Greyhound and Thorntons Recycling customers were told that yearly standing charges of €50 would be replaced with weekly service fees of €2 or €3.

In a statement this evening, Labour TD Alan Kelly claimed he had “made it perfectly clear” to waste companies that if they tried to exploit the situation in this way, the Statutory Instrument (used to bring in the pay-per-weight system) would be revised “to force their hands”.
In typically strong language, he said:
As far as I was concerned, this was always the sword of Damocles to be held over their heads, that would incentivise them to grow up as an industry. Unfortunately, as we have seen in recent weeks, they have failed to do so.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bin-charges-alan-kelly-2828655-Jun2016/

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
As someone who is already paying €400 per year to have my bins collected I find it both funny and strange how those living in cities like Dublin are crying unfairness at the prospect of their charges being similar.

Its actually with disgust that I wonder how and why the people of Dublin were getting their charges so cheap in the first place.

We are told by the media that the bin charge fiasco is the latest worry for the government who are afraid that the bin charge anger could be as bad as the anger over Irish water!

I simply do not thin this is the case, many like me are paying absolute fortunes already to private operators and have been doing so for many years, this current anger over the charges is a complete farce!

Alan Kelly: 'I never envisaged the dramatic increase in bin charges'

Did you ever wonder why you are paying an absolute fortune to private companies for a service that the Country Council used to do for a very moderate amount of money taken from your taxes.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Pay by weight is just an introduction of the Ryan Air philosophy of theft and brigandage into local community services.

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
€400 is extortionate, unfortunately for you it was never highlighted before because (I presume you live rural) the numbers in your area were not sufficient enough to sway any political decision.

You should be paying nothing like that amount and as Tadhg already said, you would be paying nothing like that if the service was run by the council.

If anything this highlights the dangers of allowing services that were run by the state to sold into privatisation. Imagine how much the cost of Irish water would be if allowed to go into the private sector!

OP
OP
bartypus

bartypus

Political Irish
Threads
I really find it hard to get angry about this, I consider €400 a fair price to have my bins collected and emptied.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
I really find it hard to get angry about this, I consider €400 a fair price to have my bins collected and emptied.

Good for you. You can tip the truck driver another 400 for Christmas, since you are being so flaithiúil.

OP
OP
bartypus

bartypus

Political Irish
Threads
Good for you. You can tip the truck driver another 400 for Christmas, since you are being so flaithiúil.
Why would I tip him, I just think the service I receive is reasonable for €400 per year. In places like Dublin the bin services have been subsidised and dont reflect the true cost of the service.

Belgrade

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
Despite you paying €400 per year I would imagine even your charges could be set to increase also.

Just because you pay more now does not suggest everyone will still be level pegging, the danger is that because the system is privatised the companies can charge what they like as they have done already in your part of the country.

Chances are your costs are set to increase too.

Art

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Pay by weight is just an introduction of the Ryan Air philosophy of theft and brigandage into local community services.
It is yet another stealth tax on the poor.

The government claim the purpose is to reduce waste and so reduce customers' bills, but even a government fool must know if the amount of waste decreases the providers will simply increase their rates to compensate for the fall in revenue.

Last edited:

Art

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
What have you based your calculations on? How do you know €400 is a fair price? How competitive is this price? How does this company's overheads compare to others in this field? How efficiently is the company being run? How much of this €400 is profit?

I suspect you haven't a clue whether €400 is really a fair price and that you are simply stating your political ideology using an untested and unsupported argument.

For myself I have sent an email to my service provider asking them to explain why the government regulations recommend a charge of €0.11 /kg for refuse and €0.06 / kg for compost and yet they are charging €0.18 / kg for refuse and €0.14 / kg for compost PLUS a standing monthly charge of €19.50

I should also mention the letter advising me of this price hike was very deliberately phrased in such a way as to make it appear as if the prices they intend to charge were mandated in the government regulation. A quite disgusting ripoff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom