Best introductory text for US-American Hist 'round the time of Emerson?

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
Why the fixation with Emerson? He hob-nobbed with loathsome abolitionists like John Brown and Charles Sumner and advocated war as a means of national "rebirth." He was America's first pre-eminent neo-con.

That said, I would focus on books that concern Jackson's presidency and the Tariff Crisis of 1828, Polk's presidency, the Oregon Purchase and the Mexican War and abolitionism, the Southern response to it and James Buchanan's presidency.

Surveys are too broad and give cursory treatment to the aforementioned. You'll have to read a lot, but it will be worthwhile.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Why the fixation with Emerson? He hob-nobbed with loathsome abolitionists like John Brown and Charles Sumner and advocated war as a means of national "rebirth." He was America's first pre-eminent neo-con.

That said, I would focus on books that concern Jackson's presidency and the Tariff Crisis of 1828, Polk's presidency, the Oregon Purchase and the Mexican War and abolitionism, the Southern response to it and James Buchanan's presidency.

Surveys are too broad and give cursory treatment to the aforementioned. You'll have to read a lot, but it will be worthwhile.
He is buried out there in Concord on Authors Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Burial Ground, right near Alcott, Hawthorne, and Thoreau. It is a very cool spot. I can take a piss on his grave for you if you wish.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
He is buried out there in Concord on Authors Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Burial Ground, right near Alcott, Hawthorne, and Thoreau. It is a very cool spot. I can take a piss on his grave for you if you wish.
That's amazing that they're all buried in such close proximity. Washington Irving is buried there as well, or was he from upstate New York? As repellent as Emerson was, even I don't cotton to defiling the final resting places of heathens. I do appreciate the sentiment though.

OP
OP
Καπανεύς

Andrew Jackson : symbol for an age by John William Ward?

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
That's amazing that they're all buried in such close proximity. Washington Irving is buried there as well, or was he from upstate New York? As repellent as Emerson was, even I don't cotton to defiling the final resting places of heathens. I do appreciate the sentiment though.
He is elsewhere. 3 are side by side. Emerson is about 50 yards away.

The man's politics aside, Nature and self reliance are masterpieces.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
Andrew Jackson : symbol for an age by John William Ward?
Ward is a somewhat controversial figure and most likely viewed Jackson with a jaundiced eye, which is very good. I've found many older works on presidents to be superior, since they tend not to be hagiographical, and they call the glorification of the imperial presidency into question.

A work on President Polk that impressed me was: A Country of Vast Designs: James K. Polk, the Mexican War and the Conquest of the American Continent by Robert Merry. Although the author is a cheerleader for untrammeled Manifest Destiny and the Mexican War (whose repercussions we're still suffering today), it is a comprehensive work and covers the gamut of Polk's meteoric and impressive political career.

OP
OP
Καπανεύς
What is with the new avatar? Very little shocks me these days but it has!
I attended a lecture on Mister Ralph Waldo Emerson as well as various other American intellectuals and found it all very interesting. Mister Ralph Waldo Emerson realised a poetics which divorced itself from the conventions of English poetry and this influenced Mister Walt Whitman and Miss Emily Dickinson if I am not mistaken. I am looking forward to the next lecture.

Top Bottom