Belarus election tensions erupt

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
CONTROVERSY has sparked in Belarus following the release of the primary polling data in the country's election today as the current President of the state seeks election for the sixth time.

Alexander Lukashenko has been President of the state since 1994 and is looking to beat out challenger, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya amid an election which has been shrouded by controversy. Despite many speculating the President could lose the election, polling data has stated he will cruise to a landslide victory according to preliminary results showing a victory of 82 percent to Ms Tikhanovskaya's seven. With the possibility of protests against the incumbent President if he wins re-election, Belarus news website MBK has reported a plane associated with Mr Lukashenka has left the country.

Using tracking data, they a showed Bombardier Challenger 850 liner associated with the family had touched down in Turkey today.
This comes as more than 60 people were detained by police across the country according to human rights centre, Viasna on Sunday.
Since the start of the election, the centre has reported more than 2,000 people have been detained.

Ms Tikhanovskaya's team even reported that her campaign manager had been arrested and would not be released until Monday.
Belarus: The election has been shrouded in controversy (Image: GETTY)
Belarus election: Many have been detained (Image: PA)
Her own husband, Sergei Tikhanovsky had even been arrested after attempting to register as a candidate.
Some have pointed to the long queues seen at several voting stations while protestors have also begun to emerge in the capital of Minsk this evening.
With the large numbers of protests expected if the President does indeed win re-election, videos have emerged on social media showing large numbers of army vehicles descending on the capital.
There have also been reports of poor internet connectivity thus hindering the reporting of news and results in the country.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Bad news for Luikashenko, following the massive demonstrations over the last couple of days the people don't seem afraid of the Police any more.
Lukashenko has called in the army to support the Police. People may recall that in the Ukraine 2014 protests the critical movement was when the ruler who was the subject to the protests called in the army and the army refused and said it was keeping out of it.

Nationwide stike has been called for tomorrow. The internet has been cut off although info,some images and video are still getting out.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Whats that got to do with whats happening in Belarus?

From what I've seen following it no one standing against Lukashenko nor anyone speaking out after the result was announced has mentioned anything about the West or how the West lives.

It doesn't seem to be anything about Russia or the West, its a bit simpler about that, its about a rigged election.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Bad news for Luikashenko, following the massive demonstrations over the last couple of days the people don't seem afraid of the Police any more.
Lukashenko has called in the army to support the Police. People may recall that in the Ukraine 2014 protests the critical movement was when the ruler who was the subject to the protests called in the army and the army refused and said it was keeping out of it.

Nationwide stike has been called for tomorrow. The internet has been cut off although info,some images and video are still getting out.

The Neo-Nazi terrorists in Ukraine were backed up by NATO \ EU. I wonder who's backing up these rioters?

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
The Neo-Nazi terrorists in Ukraine were backed up by NATO \ EU. I wonder who's backing up these rioters?
Who knows? Lukashenko doesn't appear to, he has his suspicions but they dont appear to involve the EU or US.

Its looking more and more reminiscent of the Ukrainian 2014 revolution. In an almost Carbon copy of the key turning point in Kyiv 6 years ago the Belarus army was ordered in to clear out the protesters so headed into Minsk in the direction of the protesters in the central square then apparently had a change of heart and turned around with a small number staying in the square to declare their support for the protesters.

I suspect Lukashenkos days are numbered. Unfortunately for him he doesnt have any foreign friends to flee to, I suspect Putin would want nothing to do with him.

A woman hugging an Interior Ministry soldier on Independence Square in Central Minsk after he laid down his shield in support of the protestors.

The evening got off to a nervous start as eyewitnesses reported a convoy of some 40 military trucks driving through Minsk on their way to Independence Square, the scene of large street battles in the previous days. However, shortly afterwards, the trucks left without deploying their soldiers, leaving the crowd in peace.
Lukashenko seems short of options. The president went on national TV and blamed the protests on agents sent from a bizarre potpourri of countries including Russia, Ukraine and Czechia and even Russian anti-corruption blogger and opposition activist Alexei Navalny was mentioned.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Who knows? Lukashenko doesn't appear to, he has his suspicions but they dont appear to involve the EU or US.

Its looking more and more reminiscent of the Ukrainian 2014 revolution. In an almost Carbon copy of the key turning point in Kyiv 6 years ago the Belarus army was ordered in to clear out the protesters so headed into Minsk in the direction of the protesters in the central square then apparently had a change of heart and turned around with a small number staying in the square to declare their support for the protesters.

I suspect Lukashenkos days are numbered. Unfortunately for him he doesnt have any foreign friends to flee to, I suspect Putin would want nothing to do with him.

A woman hugging an Interior Ministry soldier on Independence Square in Central Minsk after he laid down his shield in support of the protestors.

Unfortunately, this does look like Putin's doing.

SwordOfStCatherine

Father Matthew Raphael Johnson is bit nutty, sometimes incredibly nutty, but he does know the languages in question and is often good at picking up information from Orthodox Eastern Europe that would not otherwise make it over here. The stuff I have fact in the below checks out. I don't think NATO is going get a the Ukraine/Little Russia or even Syria out of this (and ultimately they were defeated in Syria).

The Equaliser

Donator
PI Member
The situation is for the Belarusian people to sort out. I don't want to hear a peep from the establishment here in the UK plc about what should happen or who may be preventing it from happening.

The political class here tried to throw the result of a democratic referendum, so they are in no position to lecture about the outcome of a private ballot.

D

Deleted member 3197

Non Registered Member
Whats that got to do with whats happening in Belarus?

From what I've seen following it no one standing against Lukashenko nor anyone speaking out after the result was announced has mentioned anything about the West or how the West lives.

It doesn't seem to be anything about Russia or the West, its a bit simpler about that, its about a rigged election.
The journal are constantly posting about how "bad" lukashenko is. This automatically must mean he's on the side of rationale.

Top Bottom