• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

BBC to censor classic Irish music

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Both his parents were Irish. If you grow up in another place with a strong Irish home identity, it is virtually impossible to fully identify with the host society.

I don't question his entitlement to identify as Irish, I think it is genuine, my only beef with him is the paddy-whackery. He knows better but he cleverly identified a market for this kind of persona, just as Behan did before him, and who has clearly played a big influence on McGowan's construction of his own public persona. To be fair though, he is obviously cut out for it by tempermanent.
Culturally going right back, the English have a certain distorted picture of Paddy which he plays to, and this is what I find distasteful.
Sure MacGowan was born in the UK but within weeks of birth he was brought back to Tipperary where he spent the next six years.
The family was big into ceilli's with his mother being a keen ceilidh dancer and it was being regularly brought along to those events during these years that gave him his gra for traditional music which stayed with him all his life. His love of Irish culture is most definitely genuine and is not paddy-whackery as you seem to think.

Eriugena

PI Member
Sure MacGowan was born in the UK but within weeks of birth he was brought back to Tipperary where he spent the next six years.
The family was big into ceilli's with his mother being a keen ceilidh dancer and it was being regularly brought along to those events during these years that gave him his gra for traditional music which stayed with him all his life. His love of Irish culture is most definitely genuine and is not paddy-whackery as you seem to think.
The Paddy-whackery is his behaviour and public persona, not his music. In fact, I have made no comment at all on his music.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
The Paddy-whackery is his behaviour and public persona, not his music. In fact, I have made no comment at all on his music.
I dont see any Paddy-whackery about his public persona as that would insinuate his persona is being put on.

His public persona is largely driven by his being an alcaholic which was I suspect largely driven by his self-declared shyness where he early on adopted alcohol as a coping strategy in public situations.

Macgowan is an alcaholic with a love for Ireland and all things Irish, thats all.

Eriugena

PI Member
I dont see any Paddy-whackery about his public persona as that would insinuate his persona is being put on.
I think aspects of it are put on, or perhaps exaggerated would be better. He seemed almost seemed dedicated to fulfilling a certain stereotype. Behan did it as well. There is a basis for it in their personalities, I'm not saying they are frauds. Many an Irishman has played the Paddy for an English audience. If you can't see how the persona of a McGowan or a Behan conforms to some extent to the figure of the stage Irishman, I can't really explain it anymore than I have.

Ireland is a Sow that eats her own farrow...........James Joyce.

Success seems easier from a distance.

Shane McGowan, Father Ted, James Joyce himself, ....... even Riverdance was a fella from far away.

the irish in ireland seem to always get censored or told to shut up.

Like our football stars, you must always leave Ireland in order to make something of yourself. I guess its the same for most tiny kips.....Iceland, Lichentstein, Moldova.

McGowan is a genius.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
In one way my favourite MacGowan song is his punk version of "My Way" where he throws the rulebook out and just does it how he likes and eff you if you don't like it !! Suns the man up entirely!!

Top Bottom