• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

BBC to censor classic Irish music

Esto Praesidium

PI Member
The name McGowan is more Scottish than Irish.
So if you wish to describe the ingredients of Shane McGowan the actual Irish component is imo at most 6%.
Nonsense. MacGowan's mother was from Shinrone Co Tipperary and his father was from Dublin. MacGowan is as common in Ireland as in Scotland and would be more common if the Cavan MacGowans hadn't Anglicised their names to Smith, or less common because of the Scottish plantation. Most Cunninghams, Grahams or Campbells outside of Ulster are of native Irish origin not Scottish. Kelly sounds more Manx than Irish, so all the Irish Kellys must be Manx then 🙄. Irish, Scottish and Manx surnames sound the same because they are often of Gaelic origin. Is Kennedy an Irish, Scots or Manx surname? Next you will be telling me MacGowan is Scottish because he spells it "Mac" not "Mc".

whyfillaw

PI Member
Don’t tell us you actually liked Saville?
A complete whack job and dominating weirdo made mainstream by the likes of that other weirdo Gay Byrne.

(They are still at that crap in the Irish states mega TV/ Radio propaganda outlet known as RTÉ )
No,I could not bear him , something unhinged about him all his life.Smashy and Nice types at the Beeb(Mike Reed , et al) and weirdos like Saville and Jonathan King .There was an lot of weirdos who had access to children and young people and there was not much scrutiny or care taken of the innocents.

OP
FightingForTheBull

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
Shane MacGowan was a musical genius. I'm speaking as a Pogues super-fan who would have been to see MacGowan playing upwards of 50 times between appearing with the Pogues, the Popes and his solo shows.

Anyway on the topic of the show can anyone else remember the time the Pogues were playing on the BBC TV back in the late 80s where they started off playing the perfectly inoffensive ballad "Streets of Sorrow" but what the BBC people didnt seem to know is that after 1 1/2 minutes this morphs into the raucous "Birmigham 6". They had got about four lines into the "Birmingham6" and then the BBC abruptly faded them out and swivelled the camera to get them out of shot presumably in a state of panic up in the directors box.

Just looked around and footage of that episode isnt on Youtube but this is the song (s) in question:

There were six men in Birmingham
In Guildford there's four
That were picked up and tortured
And framed by the law
And the filth got promotion
But they're still doing time
For being Irish in the wrong place
And at the wrong time
In Ireland they'll put you away in the Maze
In England they'll keep you for seven long days
God help you if ever you're caught on these shores
The coppers need someone
And they walk through that door

I’ve heard of that happening alright.

You know that McGowan went to Westminster School, one of the top public schools in England?
But there he is with his toothless incoherent drunken antics, looking like something out of a Punch cartoon from the 19th century, confirming every crude anti-Irish stereotype.
Glad I'm not the only one who knew there was something extremely off about captain badteeth.
Always had a difficulty understanding these characters, who never accepted what they are.
He is British born and bred. He is a descendant of Irish people but not Irish himself.
He is worse in his pretence of irishness than some fifth generation "Irish"- American claiming some supposed ancestoral lineage to a high king gives them equal cultural standing to a modern enthic Irish person living here.

Badteeth's connections to the underbelly of Hollywood certainly don't help either in his mistaken identity crisis.

Eriugena

PI Member
Glad I'm not the only one who knew there was something extremely off about captain badteeth.
Always had a difficulty understanding these characters, who never accepted what they are.
He is British born and bred. He is a descendant of Irish people but not Irish himself.
Both his parents were Irish. If you grow up in another place with a strong Irish home identity, it is virtually impossible to fully identify with the host society.

I don't question his entitlement to identify as Irish, I think it is genuine, my only beef with him is the paddy-whackery. He knows better but he cleverly identified a market for this kind of persona, just as Behan did before him, and who has clearly played a big influence on McGowan's construction of his own public persona. To be fair though, he is obviously cut out for it by tempermanent.
Culturally going right back, the English have a certain distorted picture of Paddy which he plays to, and this is what I find distasteful.

Both his parents were Irish. If you grow up in another place with a strong Irish home identity, it is virtually impossible to fully identify with the host society.

I don't question his entitlement to identify as Irish, I think it is genuine, my

He's entitled to believe he's from the moon. Doesn't mean anyone else has to accept his view as truth.
Many white Australians have roots in Ireland and Britain going back different amounts of generations depending on the individual. Some of them exclusively Irish. Have known people of both camps. Some are proud of their Heritage and others indifferent. But both consider themselves Australian first and foremost as that's were they were born and raised.
Your arguing captain badteeths entitlement based on second generation and raised by native Irish people, yet he was still raised, educated and immersed in a foreign culture and wasn't born on Irish soil.
Descendancy has to start somewhere?

I would very much question his entitlement on what iv outlined above along with what you have suggested as his reasons for doing so.

Last edited:

Esto Praesidium

PI Member
He is worse in his pretence of irishness than some fifth generation "Irish"- American claiming some supposed ancestoral lineage to a high king gives them equal cultural standing to a modern enthic Irish person living here.
Why not? What's so special about the native Irish these days anyway? I'd exchange any tenth generation Irish Newfoundlander with a real Waterford accents despite their ancestors leaving Ireland decades ago with the Rubberbandits and Soairse Ronan and their fake accents.

What's wrong with the Irish-Americans? My cousins had family links in America going back to the Fenians in the 19th century in Chicago to the 1950s.

The Irish have no problem with all Paddywhackery when it's the Bidens and Clintons but object to Steve Bannon and Mike Pence.

Why not? What's so special about the native Irish these days anyway? I'd exchange any tenth generation Irish Newfoundlander with a real Waterford accents despite their ancestors leaving Ireland decades ago with the Rubberbandits and Soairse Ronan and their fake accents.

What's wrong with the Irish-Americans? My cousins had family links in America going back to the Fenians in the 19th century in Chicago to the 1950s.

The Irish have no problem with all Paddywhackery when it's the Bidens and Clintons but object to Steve Bannon and Mike Pence.
Nothing wrong with Irish Americans in general at all. My example was of a paddy wackery Irish american of God knows how many generations removed considering themselves as Irish as a native citizen of Ireland. These Irish americans im reffering to have not even lived in ireland and some have never even visited.
Have been to the states and encountered these types.

Esto Praesidium

PI Member
Your arguing captain badteeths entitlement based on second generation and raised by native Irish people, but he was still raised, educated and immersed in a foreign culture and wasn't born on Irish soil.
Descendancy has to start somewhere?
He visited his cousins every summer in Co. Tipperary. I think he lived there for a while. He learned about Irish history and songs from his parents.

He visited his cousins every summer in Co. Tipperary. I think he lived there for a while. He learned about Irish history and songs from his parents.
Anyone in world can learn about Irish culture from their parents if those parents have an interest in it irrespective of their enthicy.
Lots of Spainish students over the years came to ireland, some in successive years. They qualify as Irish?

If you visited a Chinese takeaway regularly enough, memorise the menu, maybe learn a few words of Cantonese or Mandarin, do you at some point become Chinese yourself? Its possible there a trace amount of Chinese immigrants from a couple thousands years ago interbred with the Irish.

Take your point about the rubber people both saoirse and bandit. Whether we like it or not they still Irish more than Shane McGowan will ever be.

Esto Praesidium

PI Member
Anyone in world can learn about Irish culture from their parents if those parents have an interest in it irrespective of their enthicy.
Lots of Spainish students over the years came to ireland, some in successive years. They qualify as Irish?

If you visited a Chinese takeaway regularly enough, memorise the menu, maybe learn a few words of Cantonese or Mandarin, do you at some point become Chinese yourself? Its possible there a trace amount of Chinese immigrants from a couple thousands years ago interbred with the Irish.

Take your point about the rubber people both saoirse and bandit. Whether we like it or not they still Irish more than Shane McGowan will ever be.
Did you not get that his both of his parents are Irish? Very few Irish people have Chinese ancestry lol, probably none before the 20th century. You're like the Open Borders supporting Shinners and Dissos going on about James Connolly being Scottish so that they can bring in more Nigerians into the country. I guess the half Latvian half Nigerian Irish born and raised Stephen Yamslaw is more Irish than MacGowan and Connolly.

Isn't MacGowan an Irish passport owner anyway, with his Irish ancestry that makes him as much Irish as the Americanised Rubberbandits and Saoirse Ronans.

Top Bottom