Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Orlared Balbriggan: A wonderful diverse town

page61

PI Member
I was questioned by a friend when i said Ireland has a generous welfare system , As a dole head ,he though it was scabby and rather than go there , I checked out social welfare payments in other countries. Estonia 4.01 per day ..others with €300 per month .Most were conditional on your stamps but good ol Ireland is really like manna from the bank . If you want to curtail Immigration perhaps bring in welfare reforms

BSA

PI Member
I was questioned by a friend when i said Ireland has a generous welfare system , As a dole head ,he though it was scabby and rather than go there , I checked out social welfare payments in other countries. Estonia 4.01 per day ..others with €300 per month .Most were conditional on your stamps but good ol Ireland is really like manna from the bank . If you want to curtail Immigration perhaps bring in welfare reforms

Manna for everyone.. apart from those paying for it

I've been working and paying tax since I was 16.. For a period after the recent bank crash I was in and out of work and had young children, a mortgage and bills a go go..

I got a swift lesson in the alleged generosity of our 'welfare' system..

There is nothing, I mean nothing.. for taxpayers no help with a mortgage, no medical card until 12 months and a means test had passed, a tiny and rapidly diminishing allowance as they term it.. Endless Kafka era forms and interviews.. No practical help... Just leaflets and platitudes..

If we hadn't a mortgage protection policy, which slowly and reluctantly paid out, some savings and help from extended family there's a good chance we'd be homeless.

It changed my view of Ireland.

Rommel

PI Member
Dole heads should get €50 a week and €50 in food stamps and people who are born physically or mentally handicapped €75 and €150 in stamps and all depending on living here all your life

page61

PI Member

I've been working and paying tax since I was 16.. For a period after the recent bank crash I was in and out of work and had young children, a mortgage and bills a go go..

There is nothing, I mean nothing.. for taxpayers no help with a mortgage, no medical card until 12 months and a means test had passed, a tiny and rapidly diminishing allowance as they term it.. Endless Kafka era forms and interviews.. No practical help... Just leaflets and platitudes..

If we hadn't a mortgage protection policy, which slowly and reluctantly paid out, some savings and help from extended family there's a good chance we'd be homeless.

It is pretty grim .
I remember once claiming the dole between jobs and I signed on and was given €200+ . two weeks later I was assessed, my wife works part time and I was told i was entitled to €5 or something ridiclous .
I have come across people who have their rent supplemented, handouts left right and center...

Its a joke

cmac

PI Member

You are absoloutley right when i was in the same boat after husband lost his job i went to local social welfare i was asked what did i need i said money for kids starting school for books etc she said if i want money to sell my house. So basically become homeless. I left with nothing while ones smelling of drink were coming out with cheques in hand. This country wants middle class workers to pay for everything and get nothing back,

Top Bottom