Autophagy

• Thread starter Deleted member 1106
  • Start date

page61

PI Member
What, the Catholic church?

Give it time, laddie.

No, not at all, page61!

So long as I can offer a reply as cagey as this?

I was born in the mid-to-late sixties - is that enough information?

See, I'm in the music business so I'm relied upon to be ageless and timeless!

I frequently work with musicians half my age, so keeping them comfortable in my company and under my watch necessarily involves white lies for both our sake's. If some of my clients were to know my true age, they might feel that they're working under an old fart with old ideas. In the music game, you must stay abreast of new production values as well as older techniques; the more techniques you have at your disposal, the wider your arsenal. I've no problem discussing my age here on the site, but when in the studio, I'm always dodgy and will answer a question with a question:

'How old do you think I am?'

They usually estimate something fifteen to twenty years short of my actual age.

And that's all that really matters to hungry juniors with stars in their eyes.

I try to keep their stars lit and their hopes close to their achievements.

It's a lot like baby-sitting spoiled brats with big brainy heads and far too much curiosity.

It also keeps me feeling young by being in their company and hearing their points of view, not to mention their ideas.
Hello Mr musician ... your far from being an old fart... im a late sixtys child myself... been gigging for years and playing longer

D

Deleted member 863

Non Registered Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it works for you, that's all thst matter. Another benefit is that you're not spending half your wages on crappy take aways.(1)
Like everything in today's society, the old ways seem the best, even paleo style eating and now science is backing it up.(2)
(1) I never buy take-away foods up here, they're even more rancid and revolting than the shit we buy in Dublin after the few pints and before the club session. I'll definitely go for fresh cod and chips from a reputably greasy outlet like the traditional Italian family shops whenever I'm home because it was historically a family treat once in a while. We'd give the Mammy the night off and I'd cycle up to the chippers for the full-on family trough. You gets to snack on it and stay warm by shoving it under your jumper on the cycle home; that's a win/win.

Anthony Bourdain came up to Helsinki to hang with Sami Yaffa, bassist for The New York Dolls and of course from Finland's finest, Hanoi Rocks. Bourdain was on a foodie tour and got to see some high points of Nordic food culture as well as the terminal end. Then Sami took him downtown and they ate as do Finns ate after a skin-full. They're called 'grilli' and they serve things I wouldn't countenance eating even for residency.

I'll try to locate the Bourdain episode and post it later.

(2) Funny how the past becomes the present and the present becomes defunct. For all our trials and errors regarding food and weight and the body, going back to simple staples wins out every time. I started out on meat, spuds, and cabbage, the Mammy was insistent, and we finished what was on our plate whether we liked it or not.

Science hasn't so much turned full circle on these particular issues any more than they have on some others, which is to say that they've instead managed to disappear up their own arses theorizing about all manner of things when the most simple and obvious solution is right under their noses.

Don't eat factory prepared foods. Forget frozen shit. Don't eat processed shit and expect to feel good afterwards. Stop mixing powder with water and calling it sustenance. Bird seed is not food, vegans. Nor is raw beet, rhubarb, or turnip taken as seen. These are fart foods, nothing more. There are no healthy weight-loss diets. There are only unhealthy choices that cause you to require one. Try not to be stupid and lazy and cook your food yourself. It's cheaper, cleaner, infinitely more satisfying and rewarding, and it's totally zen to boot.

What more evidence or reason do you need?

Hello Mr musician ... your far from being an old fart... im a late sixtys child myself... been gigging for years and playing longer
Hello back, Mister P61!

I'm post spinal surgery and haven't been on the road as such for over a year. Not that I miss it at the moment. But I've a feeling we've probably crossed swords back in Dublin one way or another. I was very busy there before I left to come up here. These days, most of my work is studio-based. From arranging to production, and engineering to co-composing. I've been a studio musician since about ten years back, and there's plenty of work up here what with the language barrier keeping most film/TV/radio/studio productions local and within easy reach if you're connected.

But then: you need the language, otherwise you're hopelessly lost.

Finnish television and radio alone offer plenty of sessions, but with advertising and voice over as well, there's even more work to be done. I produce for younger bands through a label here and they keep me busy most of the time. It's fun and fresh work. And new voices and styles are becoming more and more welcome up here as the culture expands to include them. Great little country to be Irish in.

They fucking love us up here.

And our music.

They don't know the full truth about us just yet, obviously.

Best of luck with your musical endeavours and I hope the road continues to rise to meet you.

If you're in town any time, just dial 1800 MOWL and I'll hook you up.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
You aren't exactly selling this are you VG!! LOLlllllllllllll

" puked my guts up...you should try it!!" Puke

Can't wait to have a go now. You've made it sound so ... appetising!! LOLlllllllllllll
picoms4

It's only gluttons like myself that eject a steady stream of puke during a fast.

I recommend it for the mental discipline it can teach you.

Also recommended are ice cold showers - particularly when one is suffering the agonising effects of a hangover!

Esatdigiwank

PI Member
As a person who eats just one meal a day and sleeps less than six hours a night and has done so since puberty, I can somewhat agree/concur with the OP's notions. From morning until night on a regular day, I get by on a coffee in the morning with a few cigarettes, and then nothing at all until night comes. One regular meal of fresh home-cooked foods which I prepare myself then feels most satisfying and prepares one for an excellent sleep.

Throughout my life I've been gently bullied by concerned family members to change, told by doctors that I'm killing myself slowly, and physiologists have told me I'm destroying my cell count and bone mass. Yet I'm rarely ill and throughout my life have managed to avoid hospitals and clinics and most types of pharmaceuticals as my health and well-being has been mostly excellent.

People look at me like I'm a freak when I describe my normal intake of nutrition per diem, they give all kinds of advice from eating porridge and drinking liters of water, cutting out the smokes and quitting the wine too. I never listen now and I've never listened before: this is what works best for me. The proof is generally to be found in the pudding, right?

Rarely been ill with common flu or cold, and if contracted, I usually beat them within twenty-four hours.
Have spent comparatively shag all on medical bills and pharmaceuticals in the course of my life.
Have spent little time in hospitals apart from in my childhood and recently for spinal surgery.
Feel in absolutely excellent physical shape with high energy levels every day.
Strong mental balanced and with positive life outlook and general sense of mood and humour.
Am just under two meters tall and slightly under my ideal BMI, but my doctors say all's well.
Recent major surgery and recovery time all on schedule with no negative side effects.
Reaction to any new medications introduced to the body are immediate and powerful.
Metabolism running at peak according recent and regular to heart/liver/blood tests.
General feeling of positive life energy high, and life expectation equally high.
The aging process has taken its time locating me, so I look twenty years younger than I actually am.
Have never been fat, have tried and failed, but I try sometimes anyway, just for the fun of it.
Full head of flowing dreads, healthy glow of Mediterranean sallow skin, sparkling dark eyes.

Most people I know who eat three or four meals a day appear unhealthy to me, prone to gaining weight, they age too fast, you can see the physical changes as they occur, they take all day to recover from a hangover for example, skin can be unhealthy, liver functions problematic as they age, skin too, not to mention hair, nails, bones, etc.

I recommend what I call the standard 'frugal diet' for a week or to and gauge for themselves the differences.

As for me, I've no need or intent to change anything: I feel in excellent health for my years and grateful for it all.

Final note: I didn't plan this lifestyle: it just happened by simple trial and error. I found that I had better energy and concentration at school if I didn't eat breakfast, so I quit it because it made me feel tired and unready for the day. A year or so later, lunch went out the window too and for the same reasons, and the result were again good with higher energy levels and peak concentration for learning etc. Not everybody has the same metabolic rate, so this doesn't and cannot work for everybody, certainly not those of an older vintage looking for a successful diet to lose weight. My only diet ever was in trying to gain weight: and I failed.

I'm glad I did too: I doubt my heart would have taken it.

But here I am: a living example of the benefits of a frugal but healthy lifestyle.
Mowl, yr lucky you were never exposed to Abilify medication. That destroyed the part of my brain that houses the Soul and governs sleep. That is how I became the Antichrist

page61

PI Member
(1) I never buy take-away foods up here, they're even more rancid and revolting than the shit we buy in Dublin after the few pints and before the club session. I'll definitely go for fresh cod and chips from a reputably greasy outlet like the traditional Italian family shops whenever I'm home because it was historically a family treat once in a while. We'd give the Mammy the night off and I'd cycle up to the chippers for the full-on family trough. You gets to snack on it and stay warm by shoving it under your jumper on the cycle home; that's a win/win.

Anthony Bourdain came up to Helsinki to hang with Sami Yaffa, bassist for The New York Dolls and of course from Finland's finest, Hanoi Rocks. Bourdain was on a foodie tour and got to see some high points of Nordic food culture as well as the terminal end. Then Sami took him downtown and they ate as do Finns ate after a skin-full. They're called 'grilli' and they serve things I wouldn't countenance eating even for residency.

I'll try to locate the Bourdain episode and post it later.

(2) Funny how the past becomes the present and the present becomes defunct. For all our trials and errors regarding food and weight and the body, going back to simple staples wins out every time. I started out on meat, spuds, and cabbage, the Mammy was insistent, and we finished what was on our plate whether we liked it or not.

Science hasn't so much turned full circle on these particular issues any more than they have on some others, which is to say that they've instead managed to disappear up their own arses theorizing about all manner of things when the most simple and obvious solution is right under their noses.

Don't eat factory prepared foods. Forget frozen shit. Don't eat processed shit and expect to feel good afterwards. Stop mixing powder with water and calling it sustenance. Bird seed is not food, vegans. Nor is raw beet, rhubarb, or turnip taken as seen. These are fart foods, nothing more. There are no healthy weight-loss diets. There are only unhealthy choices that cause you to require one. Try not to be stupid and lazy and cook your food yourself. It's cheaper, cleaner, infinitely more satisfying and rewarding, and it's totally zen to boot.

What more evidence or reason do you need?

Hello back, Mister P61!

I'm post spinal surgery and haven't been on the road as such for over a year. Not that I miss it at the moment. But I've a feeling we've probably crossed swords back in Dublin one way or another. I was very busy there before I left to come up here. These days, most of my work is studio-based. From arranging to production, and engineering to co-composing. I've been a studio musician since about ten years back, and there's plenty of work up here what with the language barrier keeping most film/TV/radio/studio productions local and within easy reach if you're connected.

But then: you need the language, otherwise you're hopelessly lost.

Finnish television and radio alone offer plenty of sessions, but with advertising and voice over as well, there's even more work to be done. I produce for younger bands through a label here and they keep me busy most of the time. It's fun and fresh work. And new voices and styles are becoming more and more welcome up here as the culture expands to include them. Great little country to be Irish in.

They fucking love us up here.

And our music.

They don't know the full truth about us just yet, obviously.

Best of luck with your musical endeavours and I hope the road continues to rise to meet you.

If you're in town any time, just dial 1800 MOWL and I'll hook you up.
It sounds like you are having and enjoying your musical endeavors..sounds great.

I would imagine our paths must definitely have crossed in Dublin . Ive been gigging since i was about 16 and I am now the age they named a red and white Honda motorbike after.
Im not in a position to earn a living from it anymore as you know yourself constant gigging on the road etc is not great fun after a few years. I do about 5-7 a month . I was teaching (guitar /bass) for years but im glad that's over lol.
Good to hear of an Irishman's Success in Finland.. I hope you keep enjoying it.

Ted

PI Member
Speaking as a realist, I don't consider there to be any choices; but if you yourself choose to live by a fantasy, then that's all I need to know about you. I mean no disrespect to you on a personal level, but rather to the church you believe in and what history has shown us about those who run it. I say so only because you introduced your religion as a dietary moral law.

Which is patently fucking ridiculous to any right-thinking atheist.
I have yet to meet a right-thinking "atheist"🙄.

But since you introduced it I challenge you to justify your claimed status as a "realist", while saying there are "no choices".

Allegro

PI Member
(1) Well, as a 'right-thinking atheist' I'm gracious and broad-minded enough to accept that hard-line Irish Catholics find the idea of fellow Irish countrymen such as myself not tugging the forelock to the clergy and thinking most bead-rattlers a bit fruity is still a bitter pill for you card-carrying members to deal with. I may think of you as a typical Catholic fool who follows a hollow doctrine that even children laugh at, but I also accept that some fools need their Gods in order to orientate themselves in this world of the here and now, and that's okay. I work with special needs children quite often and I see the pattern of simple logic you're following.

Your beliefs are of your choice, I hope. My personal considered logic, on the other - accumulated after much life experience - won't permit me to allow for the sort of fantasy figures away off in some distant paradise or hopes of redemption upon Armageddon in return for piety and goodness in this life as any form of an informed choice for an informed adult to make.

Perhaps your Christian bothers were exceptionally hard on you during catechism class? I don't know.

But personally I was able to wash it all off just as soon as it sullied me; my Catholic-educated parents saw to that.

(2) As for an answer to your question, please read the above paragraph again; only slower this time.

* off-topic; sorry - but it was a question worthy of an answer... . sort of..
You come across as a right dickhead

Helen Back

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I fast from meat on Fridays in accordance with the rules of the CC. It hasn't killed me yet. :cool:
Never bothered me either, it was no hardship (although I hated the bones in the herrings my mother sometimes bought from the market!)
and I never realised how Catholic our household was until I discovered other kids at school didn't have fish fingers every Friday like us.

Helen Back

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
(1) Well, as a 'right-thinking atheist' I'm gracious and broad-minded enough to accept that hard-line Irish Catholics find the idea of fellow Irish countrymen such as myself not tugging the forelock to the clergy and thinking most bead-rattlers a bit fruity is still a bitter pill for you card-carrying members to deal with. I may think of you as a typical Catholic fool who follows a hollow doctrine that even children laugh at, but I also accept that some fools need their Gods in order to orientate themselves in this world of the here and now, and that's okay. I work with special needs children quite often and I see the pattern of simple logic you're following.

Your beliefs are of your choice, I hope. My personal considered logic, on the other - accumulated after much life experience - won't permit me to allow for the sort of fantasy figures away off in some distant paradise or hopes of redemption upon Armageddon in return for piety and goodness in this life as any form of an informed choice for an informed adult to make.

Perhaps your Christian bothers were exceptionally hard on you during catechism class? I don't know.

But personally I was able to wash it all off just as soon as it sullied me; my Catholic-educated parents saw to that.

(2) As for an answer to your question, please read the above paragraph again; only slower this time.

* off-topic; sorry - but it was a question worthy of an answer... . sort of..
No offence, but if that's the case you don't half go on about it, at great length, incorporating anti-Catholicism into a lot of posts.
Or so it appears. But it's good to read varying opinions.

P.S. : Speaking of which, some leafy veg might be a good addition to your diet?

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
No offence, but if that's the case you don't half go on about it, at great length, incorporating anti-Catholicism into a lot of posts.
Or so it appears. But it's good to read varying opinions.

P.S. : Speaking of which, some leafy veg might be a good addition to your diet?

Top Bottom