Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member

Untitled (Prisoner) (2011) by Yvette Granata

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
It's remarkable how some Americans chose to turn a blind eye to this sort of stuff, yet walllow in condemning other nation states for what they only suspect might be going on with them, based on their own news channels too.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
It's remarkable how some Americans chose to turn a blind eye to this sort of stuff, yet walllow in condemning other nation states for what they only suspect might be going on with them, based on their own news channels too.

Yes, the British were also extremely good at seeing the crimes of rival imperialist powers - while completely overlooking their own crimes.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Yes, the British were also extremely good at seeing the crimes of rival imperialist powers - while completely overlooking their own crimes.
Yes, calling the IRA 'terrorists', while they undertook the crimes they did in to the North, says it all. Not to mention their previous crimes here.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Yes, calling the IRA 'terrorists', while they undertook the crimes they did in to the North, says it all. Not to mention their previous crimes here.

Yes, Maggie Thatcher was calling the IRA "terrorists" - at the very time she was arming, funding and providing SAS training to Pol Pot and his crew.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Yes, Maggie Thatcher was calling the IRA "terrorists" - at the very time she was arming, funding and providing SAS training to Pol Pot and his crew.
I didn't know that tbh.

I find it interesting how now even the term 'terror' comes loaded with implied meaning- meanings we all know, but aren't allowed to mention.

There was a mass nightclub shooting in America the other day, and another in a hospital, if I'm not mistaken, and after reviewing the info, the news sources confirmed that the shootings weren't 'terror related'.

I mean ffs, how on earth were they not related to terror?

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
I didn't know that tbh.

I find it interesting how now even the term 'terror' comes loaded with implied meaning- meanings we all know, but aren't allowed to mention.

There was a mass nightclub shooting in America the other day, and another in a hospital, if I'm not mistaken, and after reviewing the info, the news sources confirmed that the shootings weren't 'terror related'.

I mean ffs, how on earth were they not related to terror?

Yes indeed, and Reagan and Thatcher held Pol Pot's seat for him at the UN for years after he was deposed. I agree that what is called politically motivated crime has too narrow a definition now. We live in an age when very few people have the intellectual tools to carry out a revolutionary analysis of the situation, but they are filled with rage and they lash out in unconscious ways. Is this still political? I'd say it is.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Yes indeed, and Reagan and Thatcher held Pol Pot's seat for him at the UN for years after he was deposed. I agree that what is called politically motivated crime has too narrow a definition now. We live in an age when very few people have the intellectual tools to carry out a revolutionary analysis of the situation, but they are filled with rage and they lash out in unconscious ways. Is this still political? I'd say it is.
From my own instinctive, yet not overly read perspective, it's all about whoever has the power.

On a related note, I do think it's different with the Islam question these days, in that it seems to me that they have their own motives, not to mention, numbers at this stage.

The Irish defending themselves in Ireland, are in no way the same as Muslims in Ireland 'defending themselves'.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
From my own instinctive, yet not overly read perspective, it's all about whoever has the power.

On a related note, I do think it's different with the Islam question these days, in that it seems to me that they have their own motives, not to mention, numbers at this stage.

The Irish defending themselves in Ireland, are in no way the same as Muslims in Ireland 'defending themselves'.

Of course they do have their own motives - though not all Muslims are the same by any means. But Islam is an imperialist ideology. It's origin is in raiding and conquest. Again, a highly civilized man like President Al Assad could not be accused of having such ideas, and the same goes for millions of other Muslims. That said, we cannot ignore the fact that Islam is an imperialist ideology and a very great number of Muslims in Europe believe themselves to be Islamic conquerors of Europe. Some are willing to kill and be killed to complete that conquest. It's a kind of reverse racism to suggest that poor immigrants have no motivation of their own. The Europeans who exterminated the Native Americans and the Native Australians where also poor immigrants who believed they were doing God's work.

Top Bottom