"Armed struggle is legitimate in Ireland" Gerry Adams 2018

Threads
Former Sinn Féin Leader Gerry Adams: 'It's Still My View That the Use of Armed Actions Is Legitimate' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

I'm off to work now and will comment more on this later.
Just thought I'd share this with you to see what you think. What is he playing at here?
How can he claim the North's institutions are legitimate and opposition to same is also legitimate.
Will Mary Lou endorse his comments. Seems like a huge own goal and he has given the Staters and Unionists a stick to beat the new SF leadership

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Of course any nation has the right to resist foreign occupation by force. Nothing strange there. But, I'm surprised Gerry decided to say this right now.

OP
OP
E
Threads
Of course any nation has the right to resist foreign occupation by force. Nothing strange there. But, I'm surprised Gerry decided to say this right now.
Sheer brass neck and may be trying to rewrite his recent personal history.
He clearly agreed with the British viewpoint of the constitutional issue in 1998, that the North was part of the UK. He dropped the legitimacy argument when he signed the GFA and supported the removal of Articles 2 and 3.
Since then he recognised the State forces as the legitimate authority on both sides of the border and criminalised those who took up arms against the State.
So how can he possibly say it's legit to take up arms today.
I wonder would he have said this in a BBC or CNN interview.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
What he seems to be saying basically is that he isn't a pacifist and sometimes believes it is legitimate to use political violence against an established state. I don't think that there is anything shocking in that.

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
Former Sinn Féin Leader Gerry Adams: 'It's Still My View That the Use of Armed Actions Is Legitimate' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

I'm off to work now and will comment more on this later.
Just thought I'd share this with you to see what you think. What is he playing at here?
How can he claim the North's institutions are legitimate and opposition to same is also legitimate.
Will Mary Lou endorse his comments. Seems like a huge own goal and he has given the Staters and Unionists a stick to beat the new SF leadership
So does Gerry think we can use arms to remove the current government including SF TD's?

OP
OP
E
Threads
So does Gerry think we can use arms to remove the current government including SF TD's?
This is the ultimate paradox.
He thinks armed uprising in the North is legit, but his party is in Government.
He's a huckster, and God help any young person thinking of risking his/her life for this fucking charlatan.
Too many have already.

Top Bottom