• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Anti-irish racism & Propaganda. From da Brits and elsewhere.

Zosimus

PI Member
I like the cartoon.
Paddy in 1799?
I wonder how old is that word.
Funny, but it never caught on in the US.
The popularity of Patrick as an Irish Catholic name goes back to the eighteenth century to honour Patrick Sarsfield. Tadhg was more common before that. Gradually you see Teague or Taig replaced by Pat and Paddy used in English satires and cartoons as a stereotypical name for the Irish accordingly.

TW Tone

PI Member
The peculiar fact about the Irishman is that he tends to sentimentalised or calumniated in disproportion to his merits or lack of them. Perhaps the Irishman is simply a man, like you or I? Perhaps not.

Ireland is either a mystical symbol (I was really astonished and stirred on a deep level to see someone on twitter call Ireland 'the pineal gland of Europe') or a by-word for vulgar twaddle and barbarism. This country doesn't make sense unless you think of it a magical and possibly holy land.

If I believed in reincarnation I'd swear this guy is Patrick Pearse 2.0.

TW Tone

PI Member
The popularity of Patrick as an Irish Catholic name goes back to the eighteenth century to honour Patrick Sarsfield. Tadhg was more common before that. Gradually you see Teague or Taig replaced by Pat and Paddy used in English satires and cartoons as a stereotypical name for the Irish accordingly.
That's interesting.
I'd like to read more.
What's your source?

OP
F
hilarious the fella in the top picture. Shillelagh and a bottle of gin.

Catalpa

PI Member
You will recall around the time of An Gorta Mór and thereabouts there were caricatures and representations of the irish that would be illegal today.

I have seen Victorian cartoons that have the irish represented by pigs, baboons, gorillas and various other slanders.

And certainly during the Troubles in Ulster, there was a Bernard Manning type nudge nudge wink wink portrayal of the irish as violent, drunken, stupid, lazy and superstitious. Even Fawlty Towers had a lazy stupid irish builder who contrasted with the tie-wearing Englishman. I understand that sectarianism is not only to be found in Ibrox stadium. Australia has a long history of anti-irish rhetoric such as the response of the State to the likes of Ned Kelly.

Anyway, contributions please.

In fairness Gilray took the pizz out of everybody....

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
PI Member
Top Bloke
And it's very sad to see the Irish thickos licking the arse of the Anglo-Saxon .
Its even sadder trying to work up offense at sh1te that was written centuries ago Facepalm

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
PI Member
Top Bloke
You Sir would be better served opining on the injustice of the system in the 'disappeared' thread instead of this misguided twaddle.

A man of honour would duly oblige.

PO'Neill

PI Member
hilarious the fella in the top picture. Shillelagh and a bottle of gin.

The Irish weren't heavy drinkers. It was actually the English.

Top Bottom