• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Ancient pagan gaelic symbology

Aesthetician

Deported
PI Member
this area of the fora is surprisingly bare

we speak often of aryan religions in a general sense, but never of the one that matters the most in a specific sense - the cult of danu & the associated symbology

the irish almost seem allergic to the thought of even reading a text on the matter, yet you often see construction workers with auncient gaelic tribal symbols that they maybe don't fully understand & of course Americans who enjoy it on a perhaps more rudimentary aesthetic level

one hundred years ago you had the anglo-gaelic clique, like lady wilde, lady gregory, yeats & russell, who were probably the most erudite on the subject

it seems we are all very occupied with the boring & unirish economic theories of connolly, perhaps coming closest to a truly gaelic thinker with griffith, possibly even moreso with pearse & maybe even with o'duffy

but perhaps we need to go back to the basics

What is the basis of primitive aryan gaelic religion? Who were those early folk? Those fomorians, faeries & early gaelic men?

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
A very good question a chara. I think we can only find the answer to it by reading our ancient Gaelic texts and by studying the folklore of the ordinary Gaelic people. Folk beliefs are known to last a very very long time - maybe thousands of years.

OP
Aesthetician

Aesthetician

Deported
PI Member
A very good question a chara. I think we can only find the answer to it by reading our ancient Gaelic texts and by studying the folklore of the ordinary Gaelic people. Folk beliefs are known to last a very very long time - maybe thousands of years.
Do you place no value on secondary literature? i've borrowed a text on auncient history which deals heavily with religion

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Why did the church of ireland clique seem the most erudite in these matters?

They probably had a heightened sensitivity to the folklorist trend that was widespread in Europe at the time (think of the likes of Bela Bartok in Hungary) - and they had the leasure time to study and contemplate.

OP
Aesthetician

Aesthetician

Deported
PI Member
They probably had a heightened sensitivity to the folklorist trend that was widespread in Europe at the time (think of the likes of Bela Bartok in Hungary) - and they had the leasure time to study and contemplate.
What is even the reaction to yeats & the gang today?

Conall Gulban

PI Member

The previous post was an example from Ireland and this is from Northumberland, Briton

Edit: they're both from Northumberland I believe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom