An interesting piece on Romanian nihilist philosopher/prose poet E.M. Cioran.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Respect is earned. I would no more be respectful and polite to Charles Manson than I would to Ratio Et Fides.
"Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?" Galatians 4: 16.

Look the concept that you can beat your intellectual opponent by insulting them is very Ashkenaz but in Celtic eyes doing so just makes you look at best as a clown and at worst as a bully. The fact that you have lived I will presume all of your life here, and that you are more or less secular, yet you have not discovered this fact is very worrying. The thing is that neither you or roc_ has been capable of bettering me in debate. This is the thing, you know very well that in terms of objective reason and justice I am nearly always right in my arguments with both of you and you cling to your positions not out of any concern from objective truth and right but rather for emotional reasons. You would though both be a lot more emotionally at peace with yourself if you gave up the old Zionism and moderated to at least some degree, I am not asking at all that you either become full out cosmopolitans, the tribalism.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
I understand, this shows you that 'love is completely lacking in his works', my question is why do you think this is, why is love completely lacking in his works? Is this something lacking in Beckett, or was it to do with the existentialist philosophy of the times?
No I do not think it is connected to existential philosophy as such. I think it is to do with him personally.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
He was always a bit of a droop. Its just the way he was. Existentialism was souless and for this reason was preferred by the anti God establishment. Utter gunk.
I am not necessarily sure this is true at all. Existentialism has it's roots in the works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Soren Kierkegaard both of whom were deeply, albeit non-Catholic and eccentric, Christian thinkers. Gabriel Marcel who was a Catholic and Karl Barth would be examples of Christian 20 th century Christian existentialists.

Talking of Karl Barth actually one of the most shocking discoveries of my life is that very many Irish Catholic Priests are very much into Karl Barth, they adore him in Maynooth, but they take out of him radically different stuff- sometimes even diametrically opposed- what Ulster Prods who read him take out of him. Ulster Prods can roughly be divided into the savage and the civilized though you do have ones such as Myles here and my sister both of whom I am deeply fond who are in a grey area between civilized and savage and I am sure there are people who would place me in that grey area( both my mum in law and my English boyfriend before my husband have described me as a "healthy barbarian" - they both believe that the English have become over civilized to the point of being effete). However there are sub-groups of Ulster Prods and Barthians are a subgroup of civilized Ulster Prods, I managed both to be a Barthian and a savage Prod at one time but I was the exception that proved the rule, though I now have huge problems with the work of Karl Barth I still think he is an interesting thinker and I do see the Barthians as among the very finest Ulster Prods though I realize to outsiders that they could appear neurotically morbid and pessimistic. The thing is that what Irish Catholic Priests and Maynooth gets out of Karl Barth are excuses to be a full on worldly Libtard.

The Priest in the last Parish we were members of recommended to me that I should read Karl Barth and told me that reading him would change my life (given what sparked this one of our conversations the bringing up of Karl Barth who considered all non-Christian Religions as demonic which is significantly more full on than my views on non-Christian Religions- I would never lump in say Zoroastrianism with something as nakedly Satanic as Buddhism and it was my attitude towards Buddhism that was under discussion) and by change my life he meant turn me into a bourgeois Libtard. I took him into study and showed him the shelf dedicated to books by or about Karl Barth, and than proceeded to explain to him that after I read the The Epistle to the Romans by him at fifteen and spent the next five years obsessing over it and than proceeded to prove drawing on the actual texts that I was a lot closer than Karl Barth than he was, we are talking about a lad who did not even in the Catholic understanding of Original Sin and Karl Barth was a full blown Calvinist who not only was obsessed with the concept of Original but labeled the Liberal Protestantism of his day as demonic because it ignored the dogma of Original Sin. He kept replying that I was focusing in on certain things and ignoring other to which I replied that Barthianism is a system that has to be seen as a unitary whole and if you pluck one comment by him and fail to place that within the whole you cannot fully comprehend it. That event was the time in my life which I was most weirded out by.

Sham Fox

The Gulag Party
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I am not necessarily sure this is true at all. Existentialism has it's roots in the works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Soren Kierkegaard both of whom were deeply, albeit non-Catholic and eccentric, Christian thinkers. Gabriel Marcel who was a Catholic and Karl Barth would be examples of Christian 20 th century Christian existentialists.

Talking of Karl Barth actually one of the most shocking discoveries of my life is that very many Irish Catholic Priests are very much into Karl Barth, they adore him in Maynooth, but they take out of him radically different stuff- sometimes even diametrically opposed- what Ulster Prods who read him take out of him. Ulster Prods can roughly be divided into the savage and the civilized though you do have ones such as Myles here and my sister both of whom I am deeply fond who are in a grey area between civilized and savage and I am sure there are people who would place me in that grey area( both my mum in law and my English boyfriend before my husband have described me as a "healthy barbarian" - they both believe that the English have become over civilized to the point of being effete). However there are sub-groups of Ulster Prods and Barthians are a subgroup of civilized Ulster Prods, I managed both to be a Barthian and a savage Prod at one time but I was the exception that proved the rule, though I now have huge problems with the work of Karl Barth I still think he is an interesting thinker and I do see the Barthians as among the very finest Ulster Prods though I realize to outsiders that they could appear neurotically morbid and pessimistic. The thing is that what Irish Catholic Priests and Maynooth gets out of Karl Barth are excuses to be a full on worldly Libtard.

The Priest in the last Parish we were members of recommended to me that I should read Karl Barth and told me that reading him would change my life (given what sparked this one of our conversations the bringing up of Karl Barth who considered all non-Christian Religions as demonic which is significantly more full on than my views on non-Christian Religions- I would never lump in say Zoroastrianism with something as nakedly Satanic as Buddhism and it was my attitude towards Buddhism that was under discussion) and by change my life he meant turn me into a bourgeois Libtard. I took him into study and showed him the shelf dedicated to books by or about Karl Barth, and than proceeded to explain to him that after I read the The Epistle to the Romans by him at fifteen and spent the next five years obsessing over it and than proceeded to prove drawing on the actual texts that I was a lot closer than Karl Barth than he was, we are talking about a lad who did not even in the Catholic understanding of Original Sin and Karl Barth was a full blown Calvinist who not only was obsessed with the concept of Original but labeled the Liberal Protestantism of his day as demonic because it ignored the dogma of Original Sin. He kept replying that I was focusing in on certain things and ignoring other to which I replied that Barthianism is a system that has to be seen as a unitary whole and if you pluck one comment by him and fail to place that within the whole you cannot fully comprehend it. That event was the time in my life which I was most weirded out by.
When people talk about existentialism, they don't think of Karl Barth or Dostoevsky. They think of Sartre and Camus and misery drawers Beckett and those types. To me the term 'Christian existentialist' is a bit of an oxymoron. I don't think the Buddha was a Satanist. I think if he had walked the earth a bit later and by chance wandered into the Holy Land and encountered this Nazarene healer and preacher who was causing a scene, that he might have bowed before him and offered to serve him. Who knows. If you were around in Buddhas time you perhaps would have been one of his most earnest followers.
At the end of the day, I am a scumbag and I don't knock anybody, unless they're total bastards.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
When people talk about existentialism, they don't think of Karl Barth or Dostoevsky. They think of Sartre and Camus and misery drawers Beckett and those types. To me the term 'Christian existentialist' is a bit of an oxymoron. I don't think the Buddha was a Satanist. I think if he had walked the earth a bit later and by chance wandered into the Holy Land and encountered this Nazarene healer and preacher who was causing a scene, that he might have bowed before him and offered to serve him. Who knows. If you were around in Buddhas time you perhaps would have been one of his most earnest followers.
At the end of the day, I am a scumbag and I don't knock anybody, unless they're total bastards.
If people ask me what is the meaning of life I answer "love"- Buddhism answers the exact opposite.

Sham Fox

The Gulag Party
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Imagine you are instructed by God to move to a Buddhist country and convert them to Christianity. Would you go around calling them devils. No. You would be loving and kind and bold when you had to be. That's the way to roll you big mad nordie.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Give the Buddha a break!
No I will not- if I accept the New Testament which I do I have to see the Buddha as an evil man. If the meaning of life is love, which I believe it is, than someone who managed to hoodwink millions of people into believing that love is evil and what is best is to completely not exist was a horrifically evil human being. Anyway what sparked the discussion between me and this Priest is that a fellow Parishioner told me that her son had brought home a back by the Dalai Lama and I told her to take it outside and burn it. While I see Buddhism as in itself evil as ways there are levels of evil- the violent horrors that the Tibetans lived under for centuries until finally the rest of China got around to liberating it in 1950 are basically unimaginable. In the case of Tibetan Buddhism you move into a whole other realm of horror that leave other forms of Buddhism far behind is extremely often openly demonic.

Last edited:

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Imagine you are instructed by God to move to a Buddhist country and convert them to Christianity. Would you go around calling them devils. No. You would be loving and kind and bold when you had to be. That's the way to roll you big mad nordie.
The people who I have tried to Evangelize have either been secular Westerners or Muslims and Jews. I would not know where to begin attempting to Evangelize a Buddhist because we would hold almost zero common understandings. If God instructed me to attempt to Evangelize a Buddhist country what I do is a Prophet Jonah and leg it in the opposite direction. I have to say that I am deeply shocked by your attitude Buddhism- given how cold and cruel a Religion it is I thought it would repulse you as much as it repulses me.

Sham Fox

The Gulag Party
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
The people who I have tried to Evangelize have either been secular Westerners or Muslims and Jews. I would not know where to begin attempting to Evangelize a Buddhist because we would hold almost zero common understandings. If God instructed me to attempt to Evangelize a Buddhist country what I do is a Prophet Jonah and leg it in the opposite direction. I have to say that I am deeply shocked by your attitude Buddhism- given how cold and cruel a Religion it is I thought it would repulse you as much as it repulses me.
I'm older is probably the main reason, and not a big mad nordie. And its asbsolutely mind boggling that you can see Chinese Communism as a liberating force. You need to get over that nonsense.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
I'm older is probably the main reason, and not a big mad nordie. And its asbsolutely mind boggling that you can see Chinese Communism as a liberating force. You need to get over that nonsense.
Christ if the Third Reich or the British Empire at it's worst had taken over Tibet it would have been liberating compared to the demonocracy of Lamaism. You should read this book which was written by Liberal Germans who were attracted to Tibetan Buddhism because of the sinister and deceitful marketing of it in the West but than actually discovered the reality of it and were totally horrified. If anything the Chinese government is to be criticized for not outright crushing Lamaism as opposed to just curbing it's most obvious evils from a secular point of view.

The Shadow of the Dalai Lama Contents

Sham Fox

The Gulag Party
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Christ if the Third Reich or the British Empire at it's worst had taken over Tibet it would have been liberating compared to the demonocracy of Lamaism. You should read this book which was written by Liberal Germans who were attracted to Tibetan Buddhism because of the sinister and deceitful marketing of it in the West but than actually discovered the reality of it and were totally horrified. If anything the Chinese government is to be criticized for not outright crushing Lamaism as opposed to just curbing it's most obvious evils from a secular point of view.

The Shadow of the Dalai Lama Contents
Are you a Christian?

Top Bottom