An interesting piece on Romanian nihilist philosopher/prose poet E.M. Cioran.

Rasherhash

PI Member
No he was good mates with Beckett who I loathe with a passion but who surprising numbers of people here absolutely adore. Maybe the rantings were the product of a quick google search but maybe something else was going on. What is interesting though is the implied belief that once people do or say something that are therefore completely irredeemable. If you hold such a pre-logical concept because I doubt she has thought this out, generally it is extremely likely that you will automatically in a pre-logical way presume that others are similar in how they think and feel. Which will subconsciously lead you into doubling down on positions you take which from time to time come under metaphorical fire especially if you also have the strong desire to have a very positive self-image of yourself irregardless.
Why do you loath Beckett?

Bill The Boer

PI Member
Can you not discuss things without being nasty?
Obviously not.
Respect is earned. I would no more be respectful and polite to Charles Manson than I would to Ratio Et Fides.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do you think his work essentially emotes a mocking and ultimately cruel attitude towards life?
The whole portrayal of existence as bleak and meaningless- nothing such as empathy which invests life with meaning I can see ever breaking through in the plays.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do you think he views life in this way?
Honestly? If people ask me the meaning of love I answer love which sounds soppy at first sight but love for people and things can be brutal. It is love that invests life with meaning in my opinion and I find it completely lacking in his works.

Rasherhash

PI Member
Honestly? If people ask me the meaning of love I answer love which sounds soppy at first sight but love for people and things can be brutal. It is love that invests life with meaning in my opinion and I find it completely lacking in his works.
Why do you think this is?

Rasherhash

PI Member
Look at how the characters in his plays relate to each other.
I understand, this shows you that 'love is completely lacking in his works', my question is why do you think this is, why is love completely lacking in his works? Is this something lacking in Beckett, or was it to do with the existentialist philosophy of the times?

Sham Fox

The Gulag Party
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I understand, this shows you that 'love is completely lacking in his works', my question is why do you think this is, why is love completely lacking in his works? Is this something lacking in Beckett, or was it to do with the existentialist philosophy of the times?
He was always a bit of a droop. Its just the way he was. Existentialism was souless and for this reason was preferred by the anti God establishment. Utter gunk.

Top Bottom