An elderly Nationalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
I have a bit of arthritis, not dementia. Computers have been around for a long time and they're simpler now than they used to be. A lot of young people wouldn't know how to work with DOS Shell.
You're right there, some people think computers are Internet Browsers, knowing how to work a computer equates to knowing how to navigate around the web.
Those of us who have been working with computers longer know how computers work as you had to know back then. And we know that underneath the thin outer layer of computers today that they still work the exact same way now as they did back then.

I was reminded of recently how long Ive been working with computers when on a recent visit to Computer Museum in Bletchley I saw the exact computer I worked on in my first job, an ICL 2966 Mainframe..
Seeing what was the latest state of the art hardware from my early career in a museum brought home to me how long Ive been working in the business.

OP
OP
Old School Nationalist
I'm not that into computers, that's not my field. I got into computers when they became accessible to the home. I do remember the old tape reels wizzing around at work. It was early days. I've seen expensive computer cards which spanned a whole room, turn into a laptop, which cost the same as one of those 300 cards. But when I had access to affordable computers, I embraced it. I never saw how the internet would shape the world though. It has had very negative effects, but people who don't know each other can come together and discuss things and agree when dialogue is allowed.

Irish Warrior

Donator
Premium Account
Great, good come back there. So explain to me how golfers are more important are scientists?
What the fuck have golfers and scientists to do with war veterans muppet? Check your grammar before trying to take the intellectual highroad too window licker.
I asked you questions about the wars and you start talking about golfers. Imbecile.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
I'm not that into computers, that's not my field. I got into computers when they became accessible to the home. I do remember the old tape reels wizzing around at work. It was early days. I've seen expensive computer cards which spanned a whole room, turn into a laptop, which cost the same as one of those 300 cards. But when I had access to affordable computers, I embraced it. I never saw how the internet would shape the world though. It has had very negative effects, but people who don't know each other can come together and discuss things and agree when dialogue is allowed.
I feel like the Weavers and Coopers or the Liffey Boatmen in having back in the day learned the skills of loading those computer tapes you are talking about. We used to have racks of hundreds of these tapes, they were about a foot in diameter.

The Computer was the size of a Walk-in Wardrobe and each of its 540 MB disk drives was the size of a Washing Machine. I guess nowadays a disk drive the size of a small book would hold 5000 times as much.

OP
OP
Old School Nationalist
I feel like the Weavers and Coopers or the Liffey Boatmen in having back in the day learned the skills of loading those computer tapes you are talking about. We used to have racks of hundreds of these tapes, they were about a foot in diameter.

The Computer was the size of a Walk-in Wardrobe and each of its 540 MB disk drives was the size of a Washing Machine. I guess nowadays a disk drive the size of a small book would hold 5000 times as much.
I go back to dash pots in my trade. I'm not into computing, can someone tell me what a dash pot is without google?

OP
OP
Old School Nationalist

Thanks for that by the way. I wasn't involved much on the computing end. I was into Megawatts.

OP
OP
Old School Nationalist
It's really just the persona his handler gave him, all part of the script.

Irish Warriors posting location perhaps.

When people get too paranoid, self censorship follows.Just speak your heart and be true to what is right. I still believe that a good argument can hold up in court. I suppose that it would take some OJ Simpson kind of money, but we cannot let reason be dictated by money. Hate speech is calling for an attack on a group. I'm with that. Calling everything that is free speech hate, well there's the problem that must be fought.

When people get too paranoid, self censorship follows.Just speak your heart and be true to what is right. I still believe that a good argument can hold up in court. I suppose that it would take some OJ Simpson kind of money, but we cannot let reason be dictated by money. Hate speech is calling for an attack on a group. I'm with that. Calling everything that is free speech hate, well there's the problem that must be fought.
Relax. Only messing around. Everyone is so serious around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom