• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

American Made

American Made - 2017

This might be worth watching. Irish release is the 25th of August.

It charts the adventures of pilot Barry Seal. In his zany madcap style this free spirit and entrepreneur gets involved with the Medellin Cartel, smuggling arms and of course that good time sneachta into the US. Hilarity ensues or maybe not. This ties in nicely with last year's The Infiltrator and TV series Narcos. I'll or anyone else can post a review when they watch it. And if you have watched other similar recent movies or tv shows, there could be a decent overlap of characters and scenarios. Of course bear in mind we're probably not getting the full picture of the antics these folks are getting up to in these stories but it could be fun anyway.

Last edited:

Tessa

Political Irish
please do not attack other members
I really can't understand these bull shit posts you make Dublin 4.

just post something without the bloody irrelevant images.

OP
OP
F
I really can't understand these bull shit posts you make Dublin 4.

just post something without the bloody irrelevant images.
It's relevant to the thread. A movie poster about the movie. Nothing wrong with posting images in the right context.

2pacs

Donator
Premium Account
Looks good.

As for you Tess, wrong poster and certainly wrong thread!

lol

Way to go for your first post!

OP
OP
F
The film is just too light-hearted for my liking considering its storyline.

The CIA just wanted Barry to transport equipment, arms and men between the U.S. and Columbia. His handler is very upset when Barry makes friends with the Columbian Cartel. The spooks want absolutely nothing to do with the nasty narcotics business of course. :rolleyes:

Usually the cartels are portrayed as smooth and intelligent. A nice scene demonstrates the fecklessness of the cartel for the safety of their cargo and pilot when Barry has to take-off somewhere in the Columbian countryside. They use a make shift ramshackle runway consisting of sand. A number of pilots have died trying to take off and clear the trees at the end of the runway. The plane is dangerously overloaded with bales of coke and as Barry prepares the plane for take-off, some cartel members sit at a nearby table drinking rum and placing bets if he lives or dies. It’s all good fun for them.

Not that Barry is too worried, he makes so much hard cash he runs out of space to hide it in his house and resorts to burying it in the back garden. Barry tells the wife nonchalantly he will rake up the bills scattered around his property after a bag of cash spills out somewhere. At no point does it seem to really bother him about taking blood money, leaving the last few scenes a bit meh to me - swings and roundabouts.