All about 5G

Ted

PI Member
5G is the cutting edge communications technology that is sweeping the world.
But there's a major political factor at play as countries sign up to 5G network suppliers.
The main supplier of the technology is the Chinese company Huawei, a company linked to espionage and intellectual property theft.
Needless to say, this should raise a few red flags among countries concerned for their national and industrial security,
but, even some NATO member countries have signed expensive deals with Huawei.

In addition, there is speculation that 5G will be redundant within 10 to 15 years as quantum computing takes over.

This is mostly well over my head, but I believe the topic is worth discussing - especially the inherent political tensions between the US and China.

How America Can Still Win The Battle For 5G

Ted

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isn't fibre optic supposed to be better anyway?
As I understand it, 5G is wireless technology that will replace our current 4G for mobile phones etc, giving speeds hundreds of times faster.
It will open up technologies that are currently impossible.

Ted

PI Member
The United States is lobbying European and other allies to shun the biggest maker of network technology as their phone carriers invest billions in upgrading to next-generation mobile networks.

The major concern surrounding Huawei is that, if it is allowed to build out this critical next-generation infrastructure in western countries, it could allow the Chinese to spy or control networks.
Nato considers action over Huawei 5G as Trump pushes for US domination

As a nasty tech battle brews between the US and China, Huawei reaffirms its commitment to building Ireland’s telecoms infrastructure.
Huawei commits to rolling out 5G across Ireland

Ted

PI Member
US warnings against Huawei adoption, however, have had mixed reactions abroad. Bahrain, which hosts the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet, announced on March 26 that it would develop a new 5G network using Huawei technology.
United States Will ‘Reconsider’ Information Sharing With Allies That Embrace Huawei, Says Pentagon Official

“5G networks will provide the future backbone to our societies and economies, connecting billions of objects and systems, including sensitive information and communications technology systems in crucial sectors,” it says. “To safeguard against potential serious security implications for critical digital infrastructure, a common EU approach to the security of 5G networks is needed.”
Europe’s Struggle for a China Strategy

I can't help feeling that something worthy of huge attention and discussion is being overshadowed by Brexit and that an opportunity is being missed.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
5G is the cutting edge communications technology that is sweeping the world.
But there's a major political factor at play as countries sign up to 5G network suppliers.
The main supplier of the technology is the Chinese company Huawei, a company linked to espionage and intellectual property theft.
Needless to say, this should raise a few red flags among countries concerned for their national and industrial security,
but, even some NATO member countries have signed expensive deals with Huawei.

In addition, there is speculation that 5G will be redundant within 10 to 15 years as quantum computing takes over.

This is mostly well over my head, but I believe the topic is worth discussing - especially the inherent political tensions between the US and China.

How America Can Still Win The Battle For 5G
5G emits a ton of microwave radiation. I believe the jury is still out on its safety.

Ted

PI Member
5G emits a ton of microwave radiation. I believe the jury is still out on its safety.
There is no jury.
We're getting it, and soon.
In November Eir revealed a €150m plan to deliver 4G connectivity to 99pc geographic coverage as well as the first 5G coverage in Irish cities. The two-year project will transform the entire Eir cellular network, expanding it by hundreds of additional sites.
Coming soon to a hilltop/mast near you.

Speranza

Irish Forum Moderator
PI Member
5G is already in Dublin. Most people are using it in their houses.

Ted

PI Member
Just in - The UK’s National Cyber Security Centre has damned Huawei products as insecure, defective and out of date.

UK reveals Huawei security 'competence' flaws - Reuters TV

UK watchdog slams Huawei over ‘serious’ cybersecurity vulnerabilities

The group was set up to evaluate the security risks posed by using Huawei’s equipment in critical national infrastructure.

Where does this leave countries like Ireland, who have already bought the pig in a poke?

The Chinese have traditionally been good at copy 'n paste, but their inventiveness has yet to be proven.

Last edited:

Ted

PI Member
People like Declan Ganley have been ringing the alarm bells on Huawei for some time.

Top Bottom