Ali spars with D'Amato

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frazier was a strong man, but he does look very uncomfortable in that vid.

picoms6

A great boxer, mind and as another poster said he had phenomenal stamina and endurance.

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
I guess a Poll Vaulter trains for pushing upwards whereas a boxer doesn't.
It would have been interesting to see them doing a bench press, in that case the pressing motion would be much more akin to what a Boxer does so I bet Frasier would have won by a large margin.
The overhead press uses much of the same muscles as the bench. It's actually a better demonstration of strength and you're not locking yourself down for support.

@graceland.com

PI Member

He was actually surprisingly spoor in all of the fields when doing that show.
I dont remember it atall, but my point was this
joe frazier was a boxer not a weightlifter
he trained hard in the gym, but he also ran every day
he had a lot of stamina and an iron will
so he would be used to running and would not give in easily a long race like a marathon, he would have a better chance.
as he was doing something he did routinely and was used to

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
The overhead press uses much of the same muscles as the bench. It's actually a better demonstration of strength and you're not locking yourself down for support.
Well they both use the delts and triceps but the Bench Press has the pecs as big movers.
The decision about what exercise is best is one that geeks in the gym argue about all the time, but thats not the real question here, my point was that I would presume Frasier would have had considerably more Chest strength than the Pole Vault guy so would have a much better bench press weight.

Ill confess that Im a bit biased here, Im someone who has been lifting weights for many years and the Bench Press is one of the few exercises Ive done pretty consistently over the years as my enthusiasm and effort levels have gone up and down. For some reason I've never got into Military Presses the same way.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if Frazier was simply out of shape at the time that that program was made?

In the ring he was extremely powerful and aggressive. Then there was the killer left hook:

If I was to select a Rugby Union Front Row from boxing professionals, I'd have Liston at Tight head, Tyson at Loose head and Frazier at Hooker - purely based on their raw aggression (obviously technique is important, but you do fundamentally need to be aggressive).

Top Bottom