• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Alan Parker RIP

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Director Alan Parker passed away today aged 76. Irish people will be very familiar with his treatment of Roddy Doyle's The Commitments. A popular movie in this country, it surely must now qualify as a historically significant artefact? Set in Dublin's inner city, during the 1980s, it tells the tale of young Jimmy Rabbitte's dreams of starting a soul band. Parker captured the youthful vibrance, colourful energy and distinct cultural idiosyncrasies of a city on the eve of crossing the Rubicon of globalisation. I'm not a fan of The Commitments, but the last time I watched it, Dublin, despite the urban decay, unemployment and crime, never seemed so delectably poignant; a time and a place gone forever.

A talented and accomplished auteur, Mr. Parker's movie portfolio includes a diverse range of movie genres:

RIP

OP
Vengeful Glutton

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
It's definitely worth re-visiting The Commitments. As Blue Velvet has said, it is uniquely Irish. You can taste the meaty timbres of the inner city accents (they're a little bit exaggerated for movie purposes). Considering that he had a cast of unknowns, Parker did an excellent job making a fine movie. It does have a few flaws: the story isn't very demanding on the gray matter and some of the characters are cardboard cut outs, but it really does ooze 1980s Dublin - the howyas, Stary Horse? and various other coarse colloquies seem so quaint now. I think the word "banjaxed" is used once - last time I heard that word was back in the mid 80s!

Top Bottom