• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

A Tale of the White Trout, from W.B. Yeats

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator

William Butler Yeats included this tale in his collection "Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry", 1888. It was a legend of Cong, originally picked up by Samuel Lover from the old women who lived in that area.

The Tale

Once upon the time there was a beautiful lady who lived near the lake, she was promised to a king's son and soon they were soon to be married; but he was murdered and thrown into the lake. She was so sad that she went out of her mind and disappeared after him. It was said the fairies took her away. In those days a White Trout was seen in the lake for the first time and people didn't know what to think about this creature who was so white. Year after year the trout was seen there and people began to think it must be a fairy so they never caught it.

One day some soldiers came to this area and laughed at the village people who believed the White Trout was a fairy; one of them decided to catch it and cook it in a frying-pan. When he put the trout in the pan it screamed as a human creature but he turned it over the other side to fry it better and ignored the screams. He kept doing that several times but there was no sign of the trout starting to cook. This villain said: "My jolly little trout, maybe you are fried enough and you are better than you look" and he put the knife into the fish. Again the trout screamed but this time it jumped out of the frying-pan on to the floor.

Suddenly a beautiful lady appeared, she was dressed in white and gold and her arm was bleeding. She said: "Look where you cut me, you villain!" she said, holding out her arm to him, "Couldn't leave me cool and comfortable in the lake and not disturb me in my duty?". The soldier was very scared and trembling all over like a dog in a wet sack, he begged for his life and asked for the lady's pardon. The lady said: "I was on duty waiting for my true love, if he comes while I am away, I'll turn you into a pinkeen, and I'll hunt you up and down until grass grows and water runs!". The soldier begged for her mercy and so the lady said: "Renounce your evil life, be a good man in future, go to your duty regularly and now take me back and put me into the lake again, where you found me."

The lady vanished and there the soldier saw the little trout, he put it in a clean plate and ran away toward the lake. He threw it into the lake and the water became red as blood for a little while and to this day there is a little red mark on the trout's side where it was cut.

The soldier became a good man and went to his duty three times a week and at last he turned hermit and he used to pray evermore for the soul of the White Trout.

The White Trout, a legend from County Mayo West of Ireland | mayo-ireland.i

Dublin 4

Donator

An Fiach Ban

Donator
PI Member
All that culture doesn't mean a thing to Marcon, May, Merkel and Leo, or most of our own who laugh at it, thinking its childish and unsophisticated, when nothing is further from the truth.

bugs

PI Member
hi Dublin 4 and tadhg
re your post re wb yeats song of wandering aongus
FOR ANY FAN OF WB YEATS
and especially Dublin 4 and Tadgh I would welcome your comment on the following .
I never speak in public and I was asked to fill in for somebody who failed to turn up and address a group of retired woman- instinct said no however I thought this should not intimidate me and I had a go as I had a bee in my bonnet about woman -- I felt that wemon are very complex creatures who have to serve several masters in their lifetime some biological some instinctive some peer pressure --and into this mix comes the Christian church not to assist but to rob the confused individual at a time when she does not have her bearings -- we men get away lightly.
I wished to say what I just said but instead decided it might be a better way to recite my favourite poem and explain .
WB Yates went to Majorca for two years to translate the 10 principal Upanishads which is the Hindu bible written in Sanscrit which is a much bigger more sophisticated language than crude English and he and Shree Pruohot Swami distilled it into English as a gift to the world -- THE SONG OF WANDERING AONGUS is in my opinion the Upanishads in 3 verses .
the first verse sets the scene -
-you traditionally need a teacher for the second verse which describes the most wonderful place to find yourself in and experience a moment of self realised perfection.
the last verse tell of his lifetime searching through hollow lands and hilly lands for that perfection/ place she called him by his name to follow to .
the address is what me must seek --he also knows that the address is knowledge as contentment and love - In one being
" a glimmering girl " waiting for him for eternity.

in our Irish tradition we are told our Eden paradise garden with the famous golden apples on the tree of knowledge are private property and god has a bizarre evil assistant a serpent --who with the knowing of God seduced Eve to pluck an apple from the forbidden tree of knowledge --which she as a true companion shares with Adam.
we are now told both have committed original sin which is technically known as hereditary depravity and because Eve being of the first part guilty -- merciful god has sentenced all you Eves to endure pangs and pain each month for timeless eternity and man is expelled from paradise and loses his natural trust in his companion for eternity.
by this Christian edict it is strictly forbidden to acquire knowledge in this garden by plucking one of the golden apples of the sun.......
in the four Hindu gardens of paradise -on mount Meru the apple trees are also trees of knowledge and they supply all that man can desire however they are not private property nor capable of evil .
man and woman can equally without payment -penalty -guilt -or permission enjoy the true property of all --no appointment required .
this knowledge and eternal joy is available to all who know the address and the address is known to humanity for many thousands of years --Christ signposted it correctly when he said " God is within you " and there you can pluck till times and times are done --the silver apples of the moon the golden apples of the sun .
slan bugs

Last edited:

Dublin 4

Donator
Great Poem/Song n' all - but away & whisper into Girlfriend's Lugs after that ;)

bugs

PI Member

William Butler Yeats included this tale in his collection "Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry", 1888. It was a legend of Cong, originally picked up by Samuel Lover from the old women who lived in that area.

The Tale

Once upon the time there was a beautiful lady who lived near the lake, she was promised to a king's son and soon they were soon to be married; but he was murdered and thrown into the lake. She was so sad that she went out of her mind and disappeared after him. It was said the fairies took her away. In those days a White Trout was seen in the lake for the first time and people didn't know what to think about this creature who was so white. Year after year the trout was seen there and people began to think it must be a fairy so they never caught it.

One day some soldiers came to this area and laughed at the village people who believed the White Trout was a fairy; one of them decided to catch it and cook it in a frying-pan. When he put the trout in the pan it screamed as a human creature but he turned it over the other side to fry it better and ignored the screams. He kept doing that several times but there was no sign of the trout starting to cook. This villain said: "My jolly little trout, maybe you are fried enough and you are better than you look" and he put the knife into the fish. Again the trout screamed but this time it jumped out of the frying-pan on to the floor.

Suddenly a beautiful lady appeared, she was dressed in white and gold and her arm was bleeding. She said: "Look where you cut me, you villain!" she said, holding out her arm to him, "Couldn't leave me cool and comfortable in the lake and not disturb me in my duty?". The soldier was very scared and trembling all over like a dog in a wet sack, he begged for his life and asked for the lady's pardon. The lady said: "I was on duty waiting for my true love, if he comes while I am away, I'll turn you into a pinkeen, and I'll hunt you up and down until grass grows and water runs!". The soldier begged for her mercy and so the lady said: "Renounce your evil life, be a good man in future, go to your duty regularly and now take me back and put me into the lake again, where you found me."

The lady vanished and there the soldier saw the little trout, he put it in a clean plate and ran away toward the lake. He threw it into the lake and the water became red as blood for a little while and to this day there is a little red mark on the trout's side where it was cut.

The soldier became a good man and went to his duty three times a week and at last he turned hermit and he used to pray evermore for the soul of the White Trout.

The White Trout, a legend from County Mayo West of Ireland | mayo-ireland.i
I POSTED TO YOU ALSO UNDER WB YEATS. SLAN BUGS

Top Bottom