A Moderate Position On Abortion

OP
OP
Heraclitus
Reality is not determined by our passions whether on a mass scale or an individual scale.

On the mass scale, morality could be described as a set of evolving tacit conventions. (which is how Steven Pinker describes language)

On the level of the individual, morality could be described as a synergy between emotive value judgements and said conventions (which both feed into each other).

I don't see how it could be any other way.
And I've thought this through over and over. It is what it is.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
Would you run into a burning building to rescue an embryo in a test-tube?

Read the OP again.
give me some credit - i can read - and whos idea is it to put an embryo in a test-tube - wud u like to be in a test tube - i wudnt.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
Yes, there most certainly is is a moderate position.

The idea that an embryo should be imbued with the same rights as you or I is Catholic Dogma. I happen to believe we can do better.
catholic dogma is believed by a lot of humans. also, are catholics the only ones who believe life is sacred from moment of conception?

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
All their bluff and blunder goes out of them when you hit them with some real sh1t like that.

They're all the same. Just endless waffle that in the end means nothing.
heres some real shit for u u big dirty immigrant. im calling a few of my choctaw and lakota pals to haul ur ass onto the next cheap flight back to ur own country.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
On the mass scale, morality could be described as a set of evolving tacit conventions. (which is how Steven Pinker describes language)

On the level of the individual, morality could be described as a synergy between emotive value judgements and said conventions (which both feed into each other).

well, thats that sorted so!

Well, it's a superficial reading of things that the only thing that separates man from, say, a laptop is that man has just a more sophisticated wiring than the laptop. And that's it. That there's no divine nor sacred element to man is ultimately a nihilistic and inadequate assessment of things. Why wouldn't we massacre a million people to fix some real or perceived problem? We, are, afterall just machines and life is nothing more than some electric charge to the brain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heraclitus
Well, it's a superficial reading of things that the only thing that separates man from, say, a laptop is that man has just a more sophisticated wiring than the laptop. And that's it. That there's no divine nor sacred element to man is ultimately a nihilistic and inadequate assessment of things. Why wouldn't we massacre a million people to fix some real or perceived problem? We, are, afterall just machines and life is nothing more than some electric charge to the brain.
I fail to see how my analysis is "superficial"? Quite the opposite I would've thought.

The emergence of social conventions is an immensely complex , dynamic process.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
I fail to see how my analysis is "superficial"? Quite the opposite I would've thought.

The emergence of social conventions is an immensely complex , dynamic process.
the emergence of a little baby from a microscopic egg is the most immensely complex miraculous dynamic process in the known universe. it happened to u. how awesome are u - we? mega awesome.

OP
OP
Heraclitus
the emergence of a little baby from a microscopic egg is the most immensely complex miraculous dynamic process in the known universe. it happened to u. how awesome are u - we? mega awesome.
All bodily processes could be construed as 'miraculous'.

What is your point exactly?

Top Bottom