1965 Hurling match at Croke Park

Look how well dressed everyone is, weren't any jerseys in them days, money started creeping into it, but still shirt and tie with jackets or overcoats, people were expected to act, dress, behave in a certain way.

Bill The Boer

DEPORTED
PI Member
Look how well dressed everyone is, weren't any jerseys in them days, money started creeping into it, but still shirt and tie with jackets or overcoats, people were expected to act, dress, behave in a certain way.

TW Tone

PI Member
Railway Cup. Amazingly big crowd, and enthusiastic support for a province rather than a county.
Though I guess the rugby crowd nowadays cheer for provinces too. Something I would never do--I don't self-identify as a Leinsterman.
Of course the only genuine province in rugby is Munster. The other three are just misnomers for Dublin, Belfast and Galway.

I guess it was St Patrick's Day, that's when the Railway Cup was played.
The competition subsequently was abandoned for lack of interest.

Last edited:

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
Irish women at a hurling match in 1965? How were they all allowed out of the laundries?

TW Tone

PI Member
I don't think you would have found many Dubs in the crowd, though I believe Dublin had a decent hurling team in the early 1960s.

Wonder who did the filming, RTE was obviously black & white at the time. In fact my late father used to say how impossible it was to follow RTE coverage of a hurling match in those days--you couldn't see the ball.

TW Tone

PI Member
Barely a smile in the whole clip. I'd hate to see what you think miserable looks like :ROFLMAO:

The poster was referring to the women. They are smiling.

In any case, you show your ignorance of human nature.
There is no link between smiling and happiness.
I am happy as I write, but I am frowning.
Because of your post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom