14 May 1977: ‘Bless me Father for I have sinned’ - The strange death and disappearance of Captain Robert Nairac on this day.

Sham Fox

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
One of the gunmen at Kingsmill had an English accent according to the guy who survived. Some believe Nairac was involved.
I'm not sure. Saying that, Brits had turned a fair few important Ra men by then. In fact the whole thing was over mid 70's. And it only got worse when they took over SF after the genuine ones got shafted. They won.

Joe McKelvey

PI Member
I'm not sure. Saying that, Brits had turned a fair few important Ra men by then. In fact the whole thing was over mid 70's. And it only got worse when they took over SF after the genuine ones got shafted. They won.

Well I too am unsure if he was involved but it is a fact the survivor of Kingsmjll said he heard an English accent amongst the gunmen.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
Ffs .
That's exactly my point.
PIRA never tried the tactic.
Now you're saying it's a stupid tactic, because there's no history of success....exactly because it wasn't tried.
And now you're losing your mind, and getting angry over a mundane conversation about an event in the 70s.???
Can we really know for certain that it was the PIRA who did him in?

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
Nairac was out of control. He could have been set up by his own crowd.
I'd say there was a provo or two involved that night.
I would not put it past people involved on the ground in the UK Deep State dumping him off because they believed he had become a dangerous liability.

Colonel Zachariah

PI Member
• May 17 1974: The Dublin and Monaghan bombings: Nairac had been on a training course in England with other undercover soldiers and was being trained intensively for months beforehand in England.

• January 5 1975: The murder of senior IRA man John Francis Green: Nairac was on temporary duty in Londonderry on a secret mission; three people have given him an alibi.

• July 31 1975: The Miami Showband massacre: Nairac started out at 4am driving from London to Scotland for a fishing holiday. In the run-up to the trip he had been preparing for an important exercise on August 14.

• January 5 1976: The Kingsmills massacre: On January 4-5 Nairac was in Surrey frantically busy with final preparations for his battalion’s deployment to Kenya.

• April 15 1976: The murder of senior IRA man Peter Cleary: Nairac was attending the Junior Command and Staff Course at the Staff College in England.
---
The IRA killed 10 Protestant workmen at Kingsmills in south Armagh in 1976. Sole survivor Alan Black said that the man giving orders had an English accent.

He discounts Nairac’s involvement because the man barking orders was “squat and very well built” but in photographs Nairac was “more of an athlete”.

----
Steve Travers of the Miami Showband survived a loyalist attack which saw three of his colleagues killed in 1975. He noted that a man he believes to be an army officer with a clear English accent gave orders to the gunmen.

However, he said he could never be certain whether or not it was Capt Nairac.

“My distinct impression was that the officer I saw and heard had fair hair,” he said, in contrast to Nairac’s distinctly dark hair.

Sham Fox

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
• May 17 1974: The Dublin and Monaghan bombings: Nairac had been on a training course in England with other undercover soldiers and was being trained intensively for months beforehand in England.

• January 5 1975: The murder of senior IRA man John Francis Green: Nairac was on temporary duty in Londonderry on a secret mission; three people have given him an alibi.

• July 31 1975: The Miami Showband massacre: Nairac started out at 4am driving from London to Scotland for a fishing holiday. In the run-up to the trip he had been preparing for an important exercise on August 14.

• January 5 1976: The Kingsmills massacre: On January 4-5 Nairac was in Surrey frantically busy with final preparations for his battalion’s deployment to Kenya.

• April 15 1976: The murder of senior IRA man Peter Cleary: Nairac was attending the Junior Command and Staff Course at the Staff College in England.
---
The IRA killed 10 Protestant workmen at Kingsmills in south Armagh in 1976. Sole survivor Alan Black said that the man giving orders had an English accent.

He discounts Nairac’s involvement because the man barking orders was “squat and very well built” but in photographs Nairac was “more of an athlete”.

----
Steve Travers of the Miami Showband survived a loyalist attack which saw three of his colleagues killed in 1975. He noted that a man he believes to be an army officer with a clear English accent gave orders to the gunmen.

However, he said he could never be certain whether or not it was Capt Nairac.

“My distinct impression was that the officer I saw and heard had fair hair,” he said, in contrast to Nairac’s distinctly dark hair.

Who is giving him the alibis?

Top Bottom