$10000 to invest. Zero or 1 million in 5 years.

Art

Donator
Premium Account
My buying power today is almost 2200 so I may add a bit if it climbs some more.
Obviously with silver up another 50c today, things are looking good.
I have detailed every transaction on the thread so far, even the embarrassing cockup with BBY.
The only things not added are some minor dividends from HL,ABX And DRD and some foreign tax withholdings.
I will detail them the minute I do anything if possible as this market could move very quickly.
My feeling is that there could be a silver shortage, or a squeeze.
I am not sure if I missed some of your transactions as the portfolio shows a total value of $67,269?

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I am not sure if I missed some of your transactions as the portfolio shows a total value of $67,269?
That is a bit confusing. The stocks long should add up to about 71000. However the short stocks add up to minus 4500. I owe this money, so it is subtracted. Unless I am confused myself. I will add them tonight when I get to a computer

Art

Donator
Premium Account
That is a bit confusing. The stocks long should add up to about 71000. However the short stocks add up to minus 4500. I owe this money, so it is subtracted. Unless I am confused myself. I will add them tonight when I get to a computer
From what you say ~$67,000 sounds about right. ~$71,000 - $4,500. I included your short holdings in the portfolio

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
From what you say ~$67,000 sounds about right. ~$71,000 - $4,500. I included your short holdings in the portfolio
I just added 123 shares of ABX at 22.06. My reasoning simply was that it was my largest percentage gainer at this time, and I am very simply averaging up(hopefully). No more thought than that.

It is now at 22.04.

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
This used up my buying power from margin.

Art

Donator
Premium Account
I just added 123 shares of ABX at 22.06. My reasoning simply was that it was my largest percentage gainer at this time, and I am very simply averaging up(hopefully). No more thought than that.

It is now at 22.04.
I added it to the public portfolio but unfortunately the public portfolio will only accept the spot price when a stock is added so there will always be small differences.

You have has a good day today - up ~$2,180 at the moment.

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Hi I added your info above to a public portfolio which I named Youngdan. Here is a link to it. If you PM me with changes you make I can update this for all to view.

http://portfolio.us.reuters.com/US/...RFPhIYnWOtofSXsInIM1U7ZC0XQGP6Icgx1L5n2zFau3S

This portfolio is of great assistance to everyone following but there is a factor that will throw those who are not very familiar with this completely off base.
It says I made 4781.41 dollars today. I actually made 3492.00 today according to my tdameritrade account for this particular portfolio.

The discrepancy is because the portfolio you have up, does not take into account that I am using margin which today is 52%. If I had these shares paid for 100% with cash money, then I guess I would be up about 48 bills.

My actual value is 44,065.30.
I have borrowed by margin 39,145.46
My value is up almost 9% today, even though the stocks I own are up about 4.5%. My moves are basically doubled.

Yesterday my long position was worth 72g, today it is worth 79g but I have borrowed more money of course.

I need to mentally set selling points for each long position now a bad reversal can actually paralyze a person. These figures are not high enough to do me but it is something that I would rather not happen

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
http://www.kitco.com/images/live/silver.gif

Clearly when silver jumps a dollar in a matter of minutes, there is some serious news afoot. It is not publicly known so we wait with bated breath. The markets are closed here tomorrow so things could be very different by Tuesdays bell. Sorta sorry I did not buy a silver producer instead of the large cap gold ABX

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
http://www.kitco.com/images/live/silver.gif

Clearly when silver jumps a dollar in a matter of minutes, there is some serious news afoot. It is not publicly known so we wait with bated breath. The markets are closed here tomorrow so things could be very different by Tuesdays bell. Sorta sorry I did not buy a silver producer instead of the large cap gold ABX

It certainly has been a spectacular rise since Thursday - particularly at a time when the S&P500 is back near 2100 and the Pound is very stable. A bit of USD weakness but nothing spectacular. You could be right that the big money knows something is about to happen. Maybe another bad non farms payroll on friday?

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Something much more serious than that. Somebody is getting squeezed or we are on the brink of a big financial event

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Who knows. Silver has ran up very far very quickly but still is a long long way from it's previous high. I see 20 dollars as a floor, any time it goes below is another chance to swap a 20 dollar bill for an ounce which seems a good idea.

I am twiddling my thumbs till tomorrow. I have 4400 of buying power after the latest rise friday, but a nasty pullback could be sprung at any moment. But I still consider silver and oil very cheap. I can get a gallon of gas here for $2.12. How long can that last?

Top Bottom