$10000 to invest. Zero or 1 million in 5 years.

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I was hoping the pound would fall on Brexit exit polls, im sure they wont leave but i was hoping sterling would drop on fears.

Unfortunately the exit polls show a remain lead and sterling is gaining!

Hopefully the tv debates swing things again and sterling drops before shooting up after a remain result and i cash in!
Any update on this, you just got the biggest fall in history

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I had a good day Friday but not a very very good day. However, my improving fortunes did generate more buying power, 1560 to be exact. So needless to say I wished to put it to use. Instead of shorting BBY or adding to my shorts in FB an HD , I instead bought 281 additional shares of DRD to go with the 300 I bought way back at $2.01. These I paid $5.62 for, and there was no money left to buy an even 300 round lot. Needless to say it dropped like a stone to 5.40 so had I waited I could have had 292 shares. Such is life.
I especially like my positions in the South African companies, DRD and HMY. The Rand is falling big time and the profits should be up.
Delighted to see FB and HD tanking

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=FB+Interactive#{"range":"1mo","allowChartStacking":true}

Look at that, despite what Art thinks, this turkey can't fly imho

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Needless to say, I am sucking some serious diesel now. I believe silver last night made a floor at 18 dollars. It was lucky for those who bought under that level. On to $20 an ounce now. The markets have not yet adjusted to the new reality.
I only have about 500 dollars of buying power so it is not worth my while doing anything. If I had more available I would buy more HL and CDE which are breaking $5 and $10 respectively

Art

Donator
Premium Account
I had a good day Friday but not a very very good day. However, my improving fortunes did generate more buying power, 1560 to be exact. So needless to say I wished to put it to use. Instead of shorting BBY or adding to my shorts in FB an HD , I instead bought 281 additional shares of DRD to go with the 300 I bought way back at $2.01. These I paid $5.62 for, and there was no money left to buy an even 300 round lot. Needless to say it dropped like a stone to 5.40 so had I waited I could have had 292 shares. Such is life.
I especially like my positions in the South African companies, DRD and HMY. The Rand is falling big time and the profits should be up.
Delighted to see FB and HD tanking

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=FB+Interactive#{"range":"1mo","allowChartStacking":true}

Look at that, despite what Art thinks, this turkey can't fly imho
I am confused. FB share price on June 17th when I posted my opinion was $113.02, FB share price is now $114.14. In what universe does a rising stock price make this a good short??

Btw with Deutsche bank share price tanking and with them holding billions of overvalued derivatives and with Soros taking a massive short position in its stock I would be wary of holding any equities at the moment. Deutsche bank could be another Lehman Bros moment.

Soros bet on Deutsche Bank shares falling during Brexit

Soros Fund Management took a short position in Deutsche Bankof about 7 million shares as turmoil from the UK’s decision to leave the European Union sent bank stocks lower.
The position taken on Friday was equivalent to 0.51 per cent of Deutsche Bank’s share capital, according to a German filing published on Monday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...nk-shares-falling-during-brexit-a7108601.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I am confused. FB share price on June 17th when I posted my opinion was $113.02, FB share price is now $114.14. In what universe does a rising stock price make this a good short??
I shorted it on May 23rd at 116.43.

On June 17th it was a great short as it dropped to 108 and change. However to avail of this, one would have to be a pretty sharp short-term trader, which is not me. I am just going on a long term trend and hopefully doubling up as soon as possible.
I have just 21 shares short, it going up or down 5 dollars is meaningless to me. And I have 16 shares short in HD which is a slight loss at the moment.

I am concentrating on my mining longs

Art

Donator
Premium Account
I shorted it on May 23rd at 116.43.

On June 17th it was a great short as it dropped to 108 and change. However to avail of this, one would have to be a pretty sharp short-term trader, which is not me. I am just going on a long term trend and hopefully doubling up as soon as possible.
I have just 21 shares short, it going up or down 5 dollars is meaningless to me. And I have 16 shares short in HD which is a slight loss at the moment.

I am concentrating on my mining longs
I agree with your sentiments on mining stocks and on the raw metals, gold and silver.

It is the shorts I would be concerned about. For the risks involved in shorting I think you would need an absolutely compelling case to do so, and typically that sort of knowledge could only come from insiders. This knowledge is far more prevalent than most people realise. I worked for a large US company once which tipped its senior management off about its results (including prior warning of profit warnings) a few days before the information was made public.

It is always worth remembering there is a limit to how much money you can lose in holding a share, the max being your entire stake but with shorting there is no limit; the potential loss is infinite.

btw the last insider trade for HD was a buy from one of its directors in May. I always give weight to what directors of companies are doing with their own money.

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I am listening to everything you say, because nobody knows where the price will be. You did point out before how my risk was high with my reward being very limited. Therefore the other day when I had about 1500 buying power, I refrained from more shorts, but instead added to my long DRD position.
Both HD and FB may rise from here. But for that to happen, we most likely will need a new round of QE at the very least. Perhaps HD will have a good quarter but if so, that has to be the last. I heard just today that there is 7 billion of major building in Boston in progress. If that is not a high, then what is.
If we are having new QE and a retreat in rates, then gold/silver will be racing higher in that scenario

Art

Donator
Premium Account
I am listening to everything you say, because nobody knows where the price will be. You did point out before how my risk was high with my reward being very limited. Therefore the other day when I had about 1500 buying power, I refrained from more shorts, but instead added to my long DRD position.
Both HD and FB may rise from here. But for that to happen, we most likely will need a new round of QE at the very least. Perhaps HD will have a good quarter but if so, that has to be the last. I heard just today that there is 7 billion of major building in Boston in progress. If that is not a high, then what is.
If we are having new QE and a retreat in rates, then gold/silver will be racing higher in that scenario
I like what you are doing.... is your full portfolio available somewhere to look at?

I remember during the dot.com boom years the financial site Motley Fool shared a portfolio which turned $60,000 into $1,000,000; not sure if they got out before it all crashed.

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I started with about 7000. I have been hit with numerous margin calls because I was overly eager. I met all the margin calls and being eager/greedy worked out well. I have put in a total of $12100.

I have 15 positions. Some I just bought and did not add to and some I added once or more to.

I have 2 shorts, which I have not added to.

FB 21 shares, shorted at 16.43
HD 16 shares shorted at 126.80

These I have not added to.
100 shares SA bought at 6.24
300 shares ABX bought at 7.54
500 shares DCTH bought at 0.5396
100 shares AU bought at 7.14
2000 shares GSS bought at 0.3161

All these are up big time except DCTH which is halved and I don't know why I bought it, but lucky it is a tiny sum.

These I have being topping up at every time my margin allows.

400 SLV +28.83%
1200 KGC +46.18%
550 IAG +45.56%
550 HMY +40.90%
3650 HL +52.04%
3440 GPL +44.56%
581 DRD +54.04%
1500 CDE +87.32

Obviously every time I add to a position I lower the average percentage gain.

You can see how bizarrely risky this is with HL, and CDE being silver producers and GPL being a silver microcap.

I need gold to go up but what I really need is silver to go up. A drop would quickly snuff me out here. But at 18.32 it is looking promising imo. It touched 50 dollars 4/5 years ago and it touched 54 dollars for a few minutes in Feb 1980. I hope it does not take much to get to 20 dollars here which would be a huge level to get above.

My value is just under 39000 but I am long about 71000 and short about 4400.

Art

Donator
Premium Account
I started with about 7000. I have been hit with numerous margin calls because I was overly eager. I met all the margin calls and being eager/greedy worked out well. I have put in a total of $12100.

I have 15 positions. Some I just bought and did not add to and some I added once or more to.

I have 2 shorts, which I have not added to.

FB 21 shares, shorted at 16.43
HD 16 shares shorted at 126.80

These I have not added to.
100 shares SA bought at 6.24
300 shares ABX bought at 7.54
500 shares DCTH bought at 0.5396
100 shares AU bought at 7.14
2000 shares GSS bought at 0.3161

All these are up big time except DCTH which is halved and I don't know why I bought it, but lucky it is a tiny sum.

These I have being topping up at every time my margin allows.

400 SLV +28.83%
1200 KGC +46.18%
550 IAG +45.56%
550 HMY +40.90%
3650 HL +52.04%
3440 GPL +44.56%
581 DRD +54.04%
1500 CDE +87.32

Obviously every time I add to a position I lower the average percentage gain.

You can see how bizarrely risky this is with HL, and CDE being silver producers and GPL being a silver microcap.

I need gold to go up but what I really need is silver to go up. A drop would quickly snuff me out here. But at 18.32 it is looking promising imo. It touched 50 dollars 4/5 years ago and it touched 54 dollars for a few minutes in Feb 1980. I hope it does not take much to get to 20 dollars here which would be a huge level to get above.

My value is just under 39000 but I am long about 71000 and short about 4400.
Hi I added your info above to a public portfolio which I named Youngdan. Here is a link to it. If you PM me with changes you make I can update this for all to view.

http://portfolio.us.reuters.com/US/...RFPhIYnWOtofSXsInIM1U7ZC0XQGP6Icgx1L5n2zFau3S

OP
OP
Dan Óg

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
My buying power today is almost 2200 so I may add a bit if it climbs some more.
Obviously with silver up another 50c today, things are looking good.
I have detailed every transaction on the thread so far, even the embarrassing cockup with BBY.
The only things not added are some minor dividends from HL,ABX And DRD and some foreign tax withholdings.
I will detail them the minute I do anything if possible as this market could move very quickly.
My feeling is that there could be a silver shortage, or a squeeze.

Top Bottom